Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BMC trailfox has an 18" chainstay. My question is will two bikes feel the same if they both have the same wheelbase and 1 bike has an 18" chainstay with a short 80mm stem and the 2nd bike has a 17" chainstay with a 110mm stem. I know the longer chainstay will be better for going uphill as i never have a problem keeping my front wheel down on steep hills.

Will they both feel the same on tight singletrack trails and cornering?

·
Anti-Outsourcer
319 Posts
No. They will not.
The short answer is that the stem length will adjust your upper body position, and chainstay length / bb placement / seat tube angle will adjust your lower body position.
Your comment about longer chainstays keeping the front end down is only true assuming that the seat tube angles are the same.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Keep in mind that chainstay and stem length are just two components for handling.

Longer chainstays typically (but not always) mean longer wheelbase, which would slow down your steering. Also it usually means you are running a wider tire.

Shorter stems should give you quicker steering, but there are several variables including head angle and fork rake which have even more affect on steering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.