Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Victor Falls is closed and Tapeworm is beaten to death, it's nice to have a local trail that is littered with logs.

Good job Freinds of Dashpoint. :)

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
It's been a while, maybe 8 years....

Back when I didn't know anyone who mountain biked but I had a rigid bike and a tattered copy of Kissing the Trail. My goal was to ride every trail in the book, I am almost there but still have a few rides to go...
So, has a lot changed at Dash Point? I remember the place being very small but I rode some ok trails that ran in and out of the campground and down to the beach. I think it may be time to take another look....

Skookum said:
Now that Victor Falls is closed and Tapeworm is beaten to death, it's nice to have a local trail that is littered with logs.

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Yeah, not sure when you last rode here, but you should've seen Log Jam in it's prime. I think we started working on that trail about 2 years ago? Anyway, some jackknob's been coming through there with a chainsaw and hatchet. Says he's been fixing what he called "Sloppy trail building."
:mad:

Skookum said:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<sL4yEr>RuLz said:
Yeah, not sure when you last rode here, but you should've seen Log Jam in it's prime. I think we started working on that trail about 2 years ago? Anyway, some jackknob's been coming through there with a chainsaw and hatchet. Says he's been fixing what he called "Sloppy trail building."
:mad:
Hmm yah i can't say, i actually rode out there a year and a half ago and didn't find Logjam. It was very fun how slick it was, we climbed it and descended it and it was fun both ways. IMBA/Logjam flows very well with all the berms, it's a pretty fun little trail.

i really like Nightcrawler too.

Anyways what's the story behind the name Know-it-all-kid trail. Funny name for a trail.

And finally it's a bummer the bridge is out on the Boundary Trail, that used to be the only good reason to ride out there was that final steep descent off the hill. Is there any plans on volunteers or anyone going out there and fixing it?

Overall Dash Point is still way too short to be a "destination" trail, but if i lived in Federal Way or South(Tacoma area) against the tide of traffic i'd make it out there for after work rides.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and just to start a fight, Dash Point is way better than St. Edwards even though St. Eds has more trail. :D

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Banner

Rode yesterday at St. Ed's. Ribs a little sore but not too bad. I need to come down so you can show me around Banner.
PS
How the new light? Cool Huh?

slomoking said:
Is that so? Well, Banner beats them both. ;)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dlbennett said:
Rode yesterday at St. Ed's. Ribs a little sore but not too bad.
Good to hear your healing up good, as far as breaking bones are concerned, ribs are pretty easy.... Pretty soon you won't be looking back.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
slomoking said:
Is that so? Well, Banner beats them both. ;)
Is Banner a State Park? Banner is a different animal.... :p i'll see your Banner and raise you Lake Sawyer pal.... :D

i do wanna ride there soon, i've been procrastinating riding there for too many years now.

·
Group Hug Participant
1,112 Posts
Skookum said:
Hmm yah i can't say, i actually rode out there a year and a half ago and didn't find Logjam. It was very fun how slick it was, we climbed it and descended it and it was fun both ways. IMBA/Logjam flows very well with all the berms, it's a pretty fun little trail.

i really like Nightcrawler too.

Anyways what's the story behind the name Know-it-all-kid trail. Funny name for a trail.

And finally it's a bummer the bridge is out on the Boundary Trail, that used to be the only good reason to ride out there was that final steep descent off the hill. Is there any plans on volunteers or anyone going out there and fixing it?

Overall Dash Point is still way too short to be a "destination" trail, but if i lived in Federal Way or South(Tacoma area) against the tide of traffic i'd make it out there for after work rides.
Not sure where they came up with the names. Phil's Bikes in Twin Lakes is responsible for a majority of the work out there. Funny cause I've got different names for each trail. As far as the bridge goes, I'm not sure. It's in pretty bad shape and would take the Army Corp of Engineers to fix it. Blame the upper housing developements for that.

D Pt. is pretty short. At the most, one could do about 10+ miles out there, tying everything in with a trip to the beach. Also note that's a terrific night riding spot as well. Someone's been using 3D reflective trail markers out there that you can see from about 200 yards away. Weird thing is they're camoflaged in the daytime.

Since my house backs up to the park, I ride out there a lot. Every time I'm out there I look for building opportunities (definite no-no), but slowely, I'm adding some berms, jumps, and drops that can be tied (inconspicuously) into the natural setting of the trails. shoosh.

I will also state that D Pt. is a prime example of how an inner-city state park and mountain bikers can live harmoniously together. There's been some trying times for us, but with through good communication with the park rangers, things work really well. Show respect when out there and yield to hikers. :)

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Thanks, I am signed up for your ride on the 18th. Look forward to meeting you.

PS
I almost met you at Esmerelda but I tore off my derailluer hanger and turned the bike into a SS and rode up the trail backwrds but did not make it to the lake. I heard that you had come up from the other side. A YETI sighting was mentioned....

See you in a few weeks!

Dennis B.

Skookum said:
Good to hear your healing up good, as far as breaking bones are concerned, ribs are pretty easy.... Pretty soon you won't be looking back.

·
Registered
415 Posts
dlbennett said:
Rode yesterday at St. Ed's. Ribs a little sore but not too bad. I need to come down so you can show me around Banner.
PS
How the new light? Cool Huh?
Good to hear you are healing up.

I'm riding there tomorrow at 3:00 then on Friday at 5:30. Let me know when you might be able to come down, we can see if we can get a small group.

The Luma light works great. I've only used it once but what a difference it makes.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Skookum said:
Is Banner a State Park? Banner is a different animal.... :p i'll see your Banner and raise you Lake Sawyer pal.... :D

i do wanna ride there soon, i've been procrastinating riding there for too many years now.
I fold on the Lake Sawyer.

Banner is a cool little forest. I like it because it's not real popular (location?). If you ride Sawyer often you aren't missing much and it's really not worth a long drive (imo). Maybe I can post a ride at Banner on BBTC. I've never lead a ride though.

I've never ridden Anacortes. I may join your ride on the 18th but Sundays are bad for me. I'll see if I can do a little compromising on the home front :rolleyes:

·
Is my rear tire flat?
858 Posts
Lume

I could only come down on Sundays or Mondays, but we could hook up some time.
My light is all charged up and ready to go. I am excited to get out and ride! I think I am riding this Sunday at Swayer if I find a good map.....

slomoking said:
Good to hear you are healing up.

I'm riding there tomorrow at 3:00 then on Friday at 5:30. Let me know when you might be able to come down, we can see if we can get a small group.

The Luma light works great. I've only used it once but what a difference it makes.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dlbennett said:
Thanks, I am signed up for your ride on the 18th. Look forward to meeting you.

PS
I almost met you at Esmerelda but I tore off my derailluer hanger and turned the bike into a SS and rode up the trail backwrds but did not make it to the lake. I heard that you had come up from the other side. A YETI sighting was mentioned....

See you in a few weeks!

Dennis B.
Awesome should be good times!
Yah i was curious about the Boulder trail (aka Trail X) which turned out to be a supremely good dh trail, and i thought it would be fun to run into the group along the way. Man i had so many awesome rides this year, sigh.....

dlbennett said:
I think I am riding this Sunday at Swayer if I find a good map.....
The Jim Hendricks map is pretty good, there are a few new trails now that aren't on the map. You should be able to pick one up at Center Cycle next to Ikea or the Black Diamond Bike shop right down the road from the Coal Cart.

Bring a compass, use the highway for a sound marker, and if you run into the Lake, houses, or gravel pit you have gone too far West hehe.

Seriously though if it's your first time solo riding out there, get a map and do the trail across the street (techy), it's a loop you can't get lost on it, then do Bridges and Toy Tree. That's all the main stuff and while still confusing it will not take you much more than a half mile away from the Coal Cart. And i'm guesstamating you'll get around 12 +/- miles of trail out of just those trails alone.

slomoking said:
I fold on the Lake Sawyer.

Banner is a cool little forest. I like it because it's not real popular (location?). If you ride Sawyer often you aren't missing much and it's really not worth a long drive (imo). Maybe I can post a ride at Banner on BBTC. I've never lead a ride though.

I've never ridden Anacortes. I may join your ride on the 18th but Sundays are bad for me. I'll see if I can do a little compromising on the home front :rolleyes:
Yah Sawyer is great, but i know i'll dig Banner. i'm always down for something new and i'm not nearly as fickle as most mt. bikers seem to be about trails.

Yah you should lead a ride, there's really not much to it. Would be nice to carry around some first aid and have common sense to help in case of an emergency but there are plenty who lead BBTC rides that don't have any common sense haha. Seriously though keys to being a succesful leader is pretty simple.

1 Make sure everyone gets out of the woods alive
2 Have fun

<sL4yEr>RuLz said:
Not sure where they came up with the names. Phil's Bikes in Twin Lakes is responsible for a majority of the work out there. Funny cause I've got different names for each trail. As far as the bridge goes, I'm not sure. It's in pretty bad shape and would take the Army Corp of Engineers to fix it. Blame the upper housing developements for that.

D Pt. is pretty short. At the most, one could do about 10+ miles out there, tying everything in with a trip to the beach. Also note that's a terrific night riding spot as well. Someone's been using 3D reflective trail markers out there that you can see from about 200 yards away. Weird thing is they're camoflaged in the daytime.

Since my house backs up to the park, I ride out there a lot. Every time I'm out there I look for building opportunities (definite no-no), but slowely, I'm adding some berms, jumps, and drops that can be tied (inconspicuously) into the natural setting of the trails. shoosh.

I will also state that D Pt. is a prime example of how an inner-city state park and mountain bikers can live harmoniously together. There's been some trying times for us, but with through good communication with the park rangers, things work really well. Show respect when out there and yield to hikers. :)
Yah trail names in my book are really only important for emergency situations, would be nice for so and so with a broken leg to call for help and have a name to tell the ems where he/she's at....

i think the best named trails ever are the Tapeworm trails. Mr. DNA, Tapeworm, Parasite, Crop Circles. All thematic and with purpose, but i like the Know-it-all-kid name, that's pretty odd......

Yah real bummer about the bridge, i hope they get it fixed up.

Cool well keep on being inconspicous and sounds like sound advice on the trail ettiquette. Hopefully the good relations can keep going strong from here on out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts