Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts
I've certainly piled up logs against another log and covered it all with dirt, works well enough, the next year it usually needs some more dirt, but then it needs minimal/no maintenance. . . . .
yep, like this. very easy, quick job. roller or jump.... i left some of the log showing through the top on purpose, so it would seem a little more like a log feature and not just a dirt roller....

not to mention what you can do with a lot of logs.... a table-top-ish jump, or something you can roll up and over with some bump bump bump... i took this pic at Keystone:

90% of the time that I use logs is to fill up a barrow pit after I have built things the right way. But if you must skimp, put at least 12" of dirt over the puggys or you will have lots of extra maintenance.

enjoy the thread,, log ramps. log overs I think are a tradition in mtbking... every year we get blow downs, those dang trees seem to know how to fall on the trail....if they interrupt things too much, we cut them out, but every so often one drops in a spot that 3 feet of quick elevation change really adds to the trail experience.

I've found keeping the stacking log sections about 5 to 6 feet long and 8-15 inch in diameter provides a nice solid stack that won't get wobbly on you, packing in some clay helps , something we have a lot of... they have lasted 5 years at least...

we are laying out about 4 miles of new trail and I am always on the lookout to include deadfall features if they are still in their prime.

I do like logs just laying across the trail, no ramps, but depending on speed/corners ramps might be the best option.
Yes! Finally someone said it. Does anyone bunnyhop anymore? I know with the onslaught of 29ers that lofting the front wheel has gotten a bit more difficult but I have always prided myself on being able to hop over logs that are 18" or less. Taller than that, to around 24", the approach has always been to tap front wheel on top, and lurch over in a sort of 'aided' bunny hop. Chainrings never touch. We are mountain bikers after all...a solid hop should be part of everyone's repertoire

Sometimes log-overs are necessary, because of the size or elevated resting height of the fallen tree.

This being said, I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing anyone's log-over work...'specially Trail Ninja's. Your stuff is craftsman level work brother. Be proud to work next to ya.

Yes! Finally someone said it. Does anyone bunnyhop anymore? ...I have always prided myself on being able to hop over logs that are 18" or less.
Exactly!

I think there are lot of MTBers that can't hop at all, much less hop an 18" log, as MTBing gets more mainstream skill seems to drop and trails get easier, meaning no bunny hop skills required :-(

Exactly!

I think there are lot of MTBers that can't hop at all, much less hop an 18" log, as MTBing gets more mainstream skill seems to drop and trails get easier, meaning no bunny hop skills required :-(
You are correct as is jochribs. 99% of riders will fail to clear an 18" log every time. Add rain, approaches with turns, ruts, rocks, uphill grades and/or outslope, diagonal log-fall and narrow trail and you have a line 99.9% of riders cannot ride.

While I totally agree (a golf course and) a MTB DH course and 4x and trails lines should be built for the "scratch" user, that leaves 99% of other trails ridden by mere mortals. There is a very fine line between a trail for riders and a trail for the big men with big egos who like to boast that others should take a dose of cement and HTFU.

If you actually build trail, then consider alternate lines for those with mega-knackers or think of the rest of us and make a rideable trail and not a wildlife trail. Thanks

Just because I can hop an 18" log doesn't mean I think all logs should be 18" tall, but there should be more than zero 18" tall logs in a trail system or else my mega knackers might start to wither :-(

I put in ride arounds in when I make trail.

Hows this, when there is a pre-existing trail that has logs in it and you didn't build that trail, you leave the logs there.

There is far more of a problem of people removing items from trails they didn't build than people building things people can't ride.

And most of the guys I ride with can clear 18" logs pretty consistently, I never thought I'd be part of the %1, instead of a post ride beer I'll be rolling with Caviar and Champagne from now on.

I think it would be good if log-overs were built off to the side instead of taking center stage on the trail (that is, when the log is 24"or less).

I do readily admit and accept that my opinion is just that, my opinion...and just like balloon knots, everyone has one of their own:D

Your metal spike will be there in 30 years for someone to fall on top of. Consider spiking with a pointy dowel rod or survey stake. That way, everything rots away together.
check this out this guy's love of spikes. :nono:

it's odd how many people don't want (or know how) to build a dirt jump out of just packed dirt. i hope this is the only one he's built, and that he's learned better methods since then.

Just because I can hop an 18" log doesn't mean I think all logs should be 18" tall, but there should be more than zero 18" tall logs in a trail system or else my mega knackers might start to wither :-(

I put in ride arounds in when I make trail.

Hows this, when there is a pre-existing trail that has logs in it and you didn't build that trail, you leave the logs there.

There is far more of a problem of people removing items from trails they didn't build than people building things people can't ride.

And most of the guys I ride with can clear 18" logs pretty consistently, I never thought I'd be part of the %1, instead of a post ride beer I'll be rolling with Caviar and Champagne from now on.
+1

Most of us posting in this thread are talking about legal trails that we are responsible for. I'd never consider doing anything to someone else's trail without consulting them first.

Removing such trees by chainsaw is my preferred method unless the trail is designed to accommodate such features. In our local climate "pile of logs" obstacles only last 2-3 years before starting to rot significantly and require removal/rebuilding (ie not worth the effort in the first place). And, as you mentioned, they are not very secure against vandals.

Here are a few examples of longer lasting features we've built locally. Bypass lines are a good idea on multi-use trails. Users will make them anyways so might as well make them go where you want. Use long timber/construction lag screws to secure the framing members to the log; at least 6" into the log. Screw a piece of treated 4x4, 2x6, or 2x4 perpendicular to and on the bottom of the ramp joists which is 12" wider than the joist spacing, extend the joists into the ground ~ 8", and cover/compact with soil to create a solid footing for the ramps.

generally I think they're a bad idea. most people will stack anything and think its a sound structure. Theres a few well built one on my local trails but these were built with larger "good wood" from downed trees. IMO a ladder bridge is a better option if an obtacle is too big. We had a huge downed tree that we decided to build a ladder bridge over the tall part a skinny and a go around so you have 3 options.
Wait, is that a yellow dog in that 1st pic?

Exactly!

Yup, kinda sad, the bunny hop was a classic tool when riding BMX in the seventies. None of my riding buddies can hop. I tried to teach them and they're just not into it. It's a great skill and it segues into other useful tools such as pivot turns.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.