Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
23,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm one of the many that's hoping to get a spot in the 2007 LT100 and am looking for some good riding as I acclimatize before the race (once I get a spot). I'm trying to get a plan as to exactly what and where I will stay throughout my stay.

I have been advised that staying at around the mile high mark for a couple days when I first get there would be a very good idea and then ride up a bit higher.

I also was looking to get a wheelset built that is lighter than my current set by a good wheel builder, was going through the CO Front Range Sticky and realized that the famous Mtn High Cyclery is right there. Larry has gotten great reviews from so many happy customers and has some great prices so I though for sure a stop through Mtn High is necessary and why not make it the 1st thing on my list and start to get acclimatised there for a few days before heading off to Leadvile or some higher place.

So are there any cheap (but nice) places to stay at in Loveland? How's the riding in and around there?

· Registered
938 Posts
The riding's great around Loveland. I'd guess that there's 50+ miles of singletrack in the 5500-7000 ft elevation alone in Loveland/Ft. Collins. There's also plenty of higher up riding in the area. I can't help you on the lodging, though. I'm sure that there are some cheap motels in the area, though.

· Registered
23,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Now that's the sort of info I wanted to hear :D Actually was wondering about hostels like the one in Leadville - seems really nice and run by some nice folks. If I'm going to be in the Co area for between 2-3 weeks the biggest way I can save on expenses is to find hostels like that.

Was trying to suss out the terrain using Google earth, but since I've switched systems to my A64 and new MB it seems to give me sh1t whenever I try to go down low to do this sort of thing :confused:
sgltrak said:
Tons of hotels and motels in Loveland and Fort Collins area. Most of the national chains are here, as well as several local places. Larry's shop is on the west side of Loveland. You could do a 40 mile lollipop loop, much of it single track, from his parking lot.

· slow
8,312 Posts
I don't know of any hostels in the FC/LV area. A search of the local phonebook doesn't show any listings. The Motel 6 in NE Ft Collins typically has $35-50US per night on their sign. Rates are typically reasonable and rooms abundant in the area, unless you happen to hit a weekend with a regional special event. Even then, rates are not like what you find in resort areas.

Below you will find a couple of maps of trails rideable from FortCollins / Loveland.

In the topo showing the big ride, Larry's shop is on the south-west corner of the route, at the bottom of the map. You can make this loop more singletrack by returning on the Blue Sky Trail and eliminating the road section returning to Loveland on the south-east portion of the route.

The other two maps are more detailed maps of areas passed through on the route mapped in the big loop.

Attachments

· Registered
23,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks again.....

....for the info sgltrak. Definitely is looking very interesting. Those prices aren't too bad compared to the hostel type prices of between $17-$25 a night, if you can get a $35 a night room (place to leave your crap while you're out riding and crash on a night) I could afford a few days there to start the acclimatization process and get in some nice riding to boot, get to visit a excellent shop and meet some of MTBRs more interesting members.

Any GPS data of any trail in and around Leadville, Loveland, Boulder, Denver etc would help in the plan making.

Still trying to rustle up another rider or two to come along on the trip, but things ain't looking so good w/ all the guys I ride w/ married, w/ kids and alot deciding to start building a house this year.

· Bad Case of the Mondays
4,001 Posts
LyNx said:
Any GPS data of any trail in and around Leadville, Loveland, Boulder, Denver etc would help in the plan making.
I've got a lot of GPS data from the trails up and down the Front Range. You can find a lot of GPS data on TrailCentral.com. For instance here are GPS mapped trails in Boulder and Larimer (where Loveland is) counties.

Also, I use MotionBased to track rides and such, so I've got a lot of data you can find. You can go to MotionBased.com and use the "Trail Network" to search GPS tracks of mountain biking in Colorado.

Some rides I'd suggest for you to start acclamating to the elevation would be Blue Sky (Loveland), Walker Ranch (Boulder) and then maybe some higher stuff like Sourdough or West Mag in Nederland.

Also, while not singletrack and not overly exciting, there are a lot of great training rides from Boulder up the canyons with a lot of miles of sustained climbing. I can fill you in on them if its something you're interested in, or just ask people about Sunshine, Logan Mill, Gold Hill and most locals will know where to point you.

· Registered
23,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jdub, thanks for that. I just have to wait on the damn lottery now is all before I make anymore plans and then be more than severely disappointed if I don't get in, so until Feb I'm going to try to hold off asking anymore and find something else to take my mind off it - 'cause it's damn well driving me crazy already :madman:
Then I'll try to build a plan on where to go when I first arrive and then from there out till the race.

Right now I'm figuring maybe 3-5 days around the mile high mark with rides starting of at that altitude, then after a couple days moving a bit higher up to around maybe 7-7500ft. Then depending on the info I gather move closer to Leadville and start slowly building up to the 10k altitude over the next 4-5 days. Finally get up to the 12.5K+ range after that and start actually riding the roads/trails the LT100 will use - especially that damn Columbine Pass climb.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.