Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
erik1245 said:
Well.. it's sold as a box of ten, so each bottle is really only $112 or so.... :D
You are right.
If that is a box of ten, then $112 sounds about right.
I deal with locktite everyday at work. I regularly have ten different varieties in my tool box. I'm glad I don't have to buy it;)

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I use to use that to build killer DH frames back in the day. All you needed was to miter the tubes, clean it a bit, and then a couple drops of that stuff will hold it on forever without welding or brazing. That's the stuff!

·
Registered
555 Posts
This is the proper stuff for bikes. The small .2 ounce tube of BLUE loctite will last for years.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...talogId=10053&productId=100371826&R=100371826

Paint or fingernail polish also works extremely well as a thread locker. But, if you've got the money, and it makes you feel good, get the loctite.

Do not use the RED loctite on something that will need to be taken apart in the future.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bigbeck said:
This is the proper stuff for bikes. The small .2 ounce tube of BLUE loctite will last for years.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...talogId=10053&productId=100371826&R=100371826

Paint or fingernail polish also works extremely well as a thread locker. But, if you've got the money, and it makes you feel good, get the loctite.

Do not use the RED loctite on something that will need to be taken apart in the future.
243 is also BLUE. Same as 242 except it is oil resistant.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
bigbeck said:
Red is not that bad.
Do Not Use Green Locktite on small bike related bolts. You will never get that stuff apart. :nono:
I use green 609 or Caterpiller Retaining Compound on slip fit stuff like crank arm/BB spindle interface.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Brewtality said:
I deal with locktite everyday at work. I regularly have ten different varieties in my tool box. I'm glad I don't have to buy it;)
:thumbsup:

I get small 50ml bottles for free from one of my industrial customers. I only have a choice of either red or blue,though. I would never buy it. At least not for a bicycle. Just using an enamel solvent based paint for a thread locker has worked good enough for bike parts. I can't ever remember something like a rotor bolt loosening up using paint as a thread locker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.