Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm putting back my ES-70 bottom bracket & XT crankset back onto my bike right now, with this webpage as a reference...

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQcartdg.shtml

It says...

Steel bottom bracket frame shells with aluminum or steel lockrings, use a thread locking compound such as Loctite® #242.

If the bottom bracket frame shell is aluminum or titanium, use anti-seize compound... ... Grease can be used in place of anti-seize,...

Having read this & not knowing what my BB is made of, I don't know whether I'm supposed to apply LocTite (I have blue) or to apply grease (I have Finish Line, and I have no anti-seize handy) in the BB cup threads...???

Thanks for the info in advance,
- PiroChu

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks much for your quick response, Nate! (Wow, it's almost like a 'real-time' help, huh? ;) )

I guess I should eventually go to Home Depot (or Radio Shack?) to buy some "Telfon pipe thread tape" (any particular size/width/thickness, etc?) and "anti-sieze" (strength, if any?) stuff...

In the meanwhile, by using grease (for now), how long will it last (a few weeks?), before it starts creaking again? (Just curious...) Depending on that, maybe I should hold off on installation, and first go to a store tomorrow. (I'd hate to miss a ride, though...)

While on this topic, could you recommend what grease to apply to the area where the spindle meet the crank arm (OctaLink)? I have Finish Line grease (white, in a tube) handy, but I also have Judy Butter here. The stuff used at a local bike store (in a huge container) that I saw sorta looked like Judy Butter (only in color/texture?), so that's why I ask this.

Thanks again,
- PiroChu

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
The grease you put on now will last a good long while. Anti-sieze lasts longer. Either way, you're covered. The anti-sieze I use can be picked up at auto parts stores and is made by Permatex. It's usually hanging with all the loctite and speedometer cable grease and rear defroster repair kit stuff.

Any teflon pipe thread stuff will do. I've tried some extra thick pink stuff and didn't like it. The plain white 1/2" does the trick.

If you're getting squeeks, the teflon tape plus the 50 ft-lbs of torque will solve it.

I would apply the finish line grease to the spindle/crank arm interface. I think I know the alternative type of grease you're talking about, almost a paste in consistancy, but I don't know if it's the same as Judy butter or what, exactly, it is.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Many thanks to your help, my BB/crank re-installation went rather smoothly. I'm also glad that I waited till I got some Telfon tape & anti-seize first to "do it right" all together.

The only thing now is that..., well, too bad that it wasn't it (for creaking)...! (Hahah, sigh...) :eek: Anyway, I've already checked my cables/housings and seat/seatpost/QR and BB/crank and sus-linkage points, but I'll keep checking other things till I find the source of this under-pedaling-torque creaking that started recently. BB has only 700 miles, and it's fine itself (spins nicely with chain off). My pedals (Egg S) are still new (only 2mo), but I suppose I *could* check 'em, just in case? I'll check on my chainring bolts (add grease?), although none seemed loose upon quick check, as well as on my cassette installation (add grease?) later tonight. Maybe it's the shock bushing(s)? Otherwise, I wonder if I have a small crack on the frame somewhere (I don't see any tho)... Would that creak?

Thanks,
- PiroChu

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm going through the same thing right now (see my thread)... Pulled/reinstalled BB crank. Still have it.

Someone at my LBS suggested that it could be the spider (that holds the chain ring on). This of course, is not serviceable. Check out my thread for additional ideas.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for pointing me to your helpful thead. (Sorry I missed it before I posted mine.)

Now I have 2 questions from that thread...

(A) I have an '03 XT cassette. (I assume that mine is included in the "later" batches that were OK, not in the "earlier" batches with problems?) Nate noted to "fill the gap" with LocTite (blue?). How exactly should I do this? Do I just drip a drop or two on the small silver/metal circles (pins?) visible on black (plastic?) 'spiders'? (Sorry for my description - or lack of.)

(B) martinman noted to grease the skewer (only rear?). So, do I just apply some grease to only the 'shaft' portion (that goes inside the hub) of the skewer, correct?

I'll try those tonight, too.
Thanks,
- PiroChu

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally found/solved the problem, just FYI.

In my case, it turns out that the creaking was caused by a busted bearing (at the top of seatstay, on drive side) after all. :rolleyes:
I replaced it, and the noise is gone now. *phew* :)

Also, in the process, I noticed that one of the 2 small bolts holding the derailleur hanger was stripped (& turning freely). I replaced this before I got to the bearing, and I don't think the noise went away just then, until the bearing was replaced.

Anyway, it might've been a combination of the two (as it was really loud), but I think it was mainly the bearing, if not all.

Otherwise, in my case, crank/BB/pedals & linkage bolts were all fine & tightly fitted, when I inspected/cleaned/re-installed 'em.

Thanks again for your input,
- PiroChu

1 - 8 of 8 Posts