Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for being a little off-topic, but I know there are a bunch of Phil Wood users around here. What's been the experience with using the Phil Wood "prep" (looks like lblue loctite) on stainless rings in a steel frame in a MTB application? I'm concerned that the loctite won't coat all of the threads like grease does and I'll end up with a corrosion. Any thoughts?

I assume that old, crusty loctite will dissolve in alcohol or mineral spirits or other solvent so I can pull the BB out once in a while and clean up everything. Seem reasonable?

Thanks,
Ginz

·
Registered
138 Posts
What The...?!?

NO!!! Locktite on BB cups will be BAD. Think about the amount of surface area on the threads of the BB and shell...if you use the recomended tourqe and grease things should be fine. Locktite on a lock ring could be OK but just a bit of the 'ol blue stuff, it spreads out and works best if there isn't crazy amounts all over the place. Good luck. Eric.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It comes with

The thing is...Phil Wood provides a small tube of the stuff when you buy the retaining rings. So... it can't be a terrible idea.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
No problems

It works well to keep the threads from backing out. No problems removing, you only need a lil bit, don't baste it on. I also am using mine on a steel frame, a PW, in fact.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts