Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a LM with a 100mm Marzocchi MXR. Steering seems pretty quick for my taste. I used the same fork on a old SC Heckler and actually preferred the handling on that bike (1996 vintage, built for 80mm max travel fork).

Should I try a 120-130mm fork. I have heard some folks are critical of the handling w/longer travel, but I think I might prefer a slacker head angle based on what I am used to.

Who out there is using a 120-130mm+ fork on an LM??

·
Registered
540 Posts
I finally installed a Fox.....

jbf said:
I ride a LM with a 100mm Marzocchi MXR. Steering seems pretty quick for my taste. I used the same fork on a old SC Heckler and actually preferred the handling on that bike (1996 vintage, built for 80mm max travel fork).

Should I try a 120-130mm fork. I have heard some folks are critical of the handling w/longer travel, but I think I might prefer a slacker head angle based on what I am used to.

Who out there is using a 120-130mm+ fork on an LM??
After lots of debating I got a Vanilla 125 for my Loco. I had been running a Marathon coil 105mm. It has taken a bit of getting used to but the Vanilla will stay. At first I did'nt like the slackened angles. The front end seemed a bit floppy. Now after having it for awhile I am used to the changes in handling. The only time it feels funky now is in realy tight slow speed turns. Down hill...........look out!!!!!
Dave

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
I run a vanilla 125r and love it on this bike. The vanilla starts off w/ a negative degree at the s.t. so it doesn't change the geometry as much as you'd think. I also made a slight tweak by using a shorter stem w/ wider riser bars and moved the seat back slightly. I have no problems w/ how it handles.

I'd bet that those that are critical of this bike w/ the longer travel probably have it setup w/ light components and run the rear in the shorter mode. So because of the variety of setups that are possible on this frame I can see some not liking 120-130mm forks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts