Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Get busy!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fox 100mm RLC and the blue lockout knob has lost almost all of its clockwise movement. The selector stays up by the front wheel and wont swing towards the back for lockout. I know I need to pump the shock up some as it hasn't been serviced ever.

I really hope there is an easy fix for this. I am about to pull the knob off and just inspect underneath but I'm not familiar with the inner workings of a fork. Can I just pull the screw and knob?

The fork is still plush and the other controls work. This is just really annoying. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

·
Get busy!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL!! Because I have been quoted 300$ to service it and I'de rather ride this old model into the ground and buy a new one for 500$. You would be an absolute retard to service this 09 shock for that much when Fox has supposedly upgraded the line immensely and lowered the cost.

I do appreciate the first comment on my post being "One of these" types. The shock functions fine, I just cant rotate the knob all the way around. ****, Ill put the 1 year old Recon back on before I drop 300$ on a service. Thanks for nothing.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Do it yourself. It's easy to do, and will cost you about $5 worth of oil. Plenty of places online with instructions on how to do so. Servicing it will also give you a better idea of what the lockout knob problem is.

The '09 Fox doesn't really ride differently from the '12 Fox. You might also want to check how much new Fox RLC forks are going for...

·
Get busy!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can change the oil and put air back in it but I wouldn't know if and what washers and spacers would need to be replaced. What is acceptable or unacceptable wear? I watched the video and it looks like there are about 100 small washers and parts.

I do all my own maintenance but after watching the video and getting a quote I totally bummed. Do you have a link to a simpler fox rebuild? I watch a couple on youtube.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
Generally, on a rebuild you're not replacing anything except the oil.

The Fox site has excellent walk throughs. You're looking for any signs of wear, especially on the stanchions. You should not see any wear on the stanchions.

·
Get busy!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really turned things around here. Thanks for the help. I will look on fox for the instruction and see what a rebuild kit costs.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
You really turned things around here. Thanks for the help. I will look on fox for the instruction and see what a rebuild kit costs.
A rebuild kit is not necessary. Just buy the correct weight oil from your local motorcycle shop. If the seals have never been done, I'd recommend doing those at the same time and installing Enduro seals (www.enduroforkseals.com) since they work better and last longer. You can also buy a pillow pack of Fox Float Fluid from them at the same time (5cc goes in the air chamber) or you can use 80w synthetic gear oil instead.

After you remove the rebound adjuster and lockout knob, gently try to rotate the lockout. That should help isolate the problem.

service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

·
Get busy!!
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I took off all the knobs on the right side and the little ball bearing under the lockout knob was bound up. I blew it out, actuated it a few times and then reassembled. ALL IS GOOD!!!!!! I will still be changing the oil and seals (the Enduro's) but I'm SUPER stoked to have full lever function and lockout back. I really thought something un-fixable had happened. Thanks again for the advice bad_mech.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rockhopper - Glad to hear this worked out for you.

I'm having similar trouble, except the lockout lever on my Fox 32 Float RL (100mm) doesn't have a ball bearing system, so that won't be the solution for me. The lever's fully locked-out position is slowly slipping counter-clockwise with each ride, eventually resulting in no range of movement. I'd be eager to get anyone's feedback here on the likely cause before starting a new thread.

I can remove the lever and reseat it further counter-clockwise, which regains the full range of motion on the lever, but this will eventually start to slip again after a month or so. Am I ignoring a more serious problem by simply reseating the lever, or is this actually an acceptable solution?

By the way, travel is plush when unlocked, and perfectly stiff when locked out, so the actual fork mechanics are working perfectly well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.