Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current ride is a 2019 Giant Trance Advanced Pro 29 2. It came with an OEM Fox fork, described as "Fox 34 Rhythm, 130mm travel, GRIP Damper, Boost 15x110mm". No complaints about the fork at all, but I feel like I could benefit from the install of a lockout lever (and for that matter, the rear shock, too). When inquired about a potential install of a Lockout, the LBS where I purchased the bike stated that they could not do the work themselves but would send the fork into Fox and that they would do the work for "$400".

$400 seems like a stretch for s simple lever?

Curious if this is something I could get the parts for and do myself?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Are you saying you want a remote lever on the handlebars, or are you saying you want a fork that "locks out" more than you get when you turn the compression damping up to max?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A remote lever on the handlebars, yes. Thanks for pointing that out.

The fork has a manual lockout "Grip" knob with a turn-by-finger dial having a "Firm" and "Open" directional arrows.

Seemed to me that the cable for a Lockout Lever would just sit under the "Grip" cap ... simple and nothing to it? I didn't think Fox would have to do anything magical to the internals for a cable lockout.

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
A remote lever on the handlebars, yes. Thanks for pointing that out.

The fork has a manual lockout "Grip" knob with a turn-by-finger dial having a "Firm" and "Open" directional arrows.

Seemed to me that the cable for a Lockout Lever would just sit under the "Grip" cap ... simple and nothing to it? I didn't think Fox would have to do anything magical to the internals for a cable lockout.
You will need to replace the Grip Damper. Manual & remote are two different units. I looked into the swap and the remote damper was $200 plus 60 for the lever. The Fox remote was open or closed - no inbetween.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My current ride is a 2019 Giant Trance Advanced Pro 29 2. It came with an OEM Fox fork, described as "Fox 34 Rhythm, 130mm travel, GRIP Damper, Boost 15x110mm". No complaints about the fork at all, but I feel like I could benefit from the install of a lockout lever (and for that matter, the rear shock, too). When inquired about a potential install of a Lockout, the LBS where I purchased the bike stated that they could not do the work themselves but would send the fork into Fox and that they would do the work for "$400".

$400 seems like a stretch for s simple lever?

Curious if this is something I could get the parts for and do myself?
Fox did a remote push to lock conversion on my fit4. It was 160 for a new top cap and damper compression revalving and rebuild. According to fox the compression valving is different with the remote lockout.
It seems like the grip damper will only need a new topcap and possible revalve.
Maybe $400 includes shipping, reinstallation of fork and the cables and remote lockout lever?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You will need to replace the Grip Damper. Manual & remote are two different units. I looked into the swap and the remote damper was $200 plus 60 for the lever. The Fox remote was open or closed - no inbetween.
Got back into riding less than a year and a half ago after being out of it for about 3 years. I'm not even sure what the "Grip" Damper does, as opposed to a a non-Grip Damper.

So I guess what I'm wanting to do isn't as simple as running a cable-actuated lever from the handlebar to the fork to firm up or soften the compression?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fox did a remote push to lock conversion on my fit4. It was 160 for a new top cap and damper compression revalving and rebuild. According to fox the compression valving is different with the remote lockout.
It seems like the grip damper will only need a new topcap and possible revalve.
Maybe $400 includes shipping, reinstallation of fork and the cables and remote lockout lever?
LBS said $400 from Fox alone.
may i ask why you want the remote lever?
Sure.
For the convenience / safety of not taking my right hand off the handlebar to reach down to firm up or soften the fork while I'm riding.

I did a longer event in NC last fall where I realized I could really use a remote lever for the fork. A lot of times the terrain was changing so quickly from smoothish uphills to downhills that were techy in nature.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could you use a friction shifter to turn the GRIP dial?
Idk? It seems it would be a pretty simple install, but from what Drenzoni posted the valving may have to be different to accommodate a remote switch?

·
Registered
9,284 Posts
Idk? It seems it would be a pretty simple install, but from what Drenzoni posted the valving may have to be different to accommodate a remote switch?
You can call or email Fox and they will tell you the exact cost and parts list for the conversion, just have your Fork's ID code handy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts