Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Prophet because when I got back into riding I wanted a bike that could handle my 260 lbs. I never rode a full suspension bike but knew that I liked going down hills more then up so the aurgument of, "A hard tail will make you climb so much faster then a squishy bike" didnt' mean much to me. Instead I sided with the, "Full suspension bikes will beat a hard tail down the trail every time" quote. None-the-less I have an 05 Prophet 800 but would like to lock out my rear end. What shocks do you guys reccomend and why? I looked a the new Fox RP23 just because that seems to be what a lot of the new bikes are coming with. What's the big differnce between that and the other shocks that have the extra dohickie hanging off of them (brain) other then weight? The last question is why doesn't the lefty on the prophet lock out? It does on my wifes rush. Thanks ahead of time for any answers!

·
Registered
360 Posts
The only answer I can think of as to why a Lefty Max doesn't have a lockout is that you'll probably never use it.

I've got lockout on my Rush's Lefty and I have used it once--just to see if it really worked. I'm a pretty big guy too and basically hammer and mash on my pedals all along the trail. Even when climbing I would rather not use the lockout. I bet if you give it time, you won't miss it either.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I'm not too concerned about locking out my fork. I've noticed that it doesn't bob that much and if I am going to stand I just need to drop into a harder gear and it stiffens up a lot compared to a fox fork that I rode with on a rented specialized. However I do think that it would be nice to lockout the rear end when climbing. There are some pretty long climbs (3-4miles) in the area that I ride frequently and most of the guys I ride with have hard tails so I am constantly chasing them. I think I am wasting a lot of power with that rear shock. I think that replacing it will help a lot.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I believe the Prophet uses Manitou Swinger and Fox RP23 on the higher end models--so I would look there. I believe these are specifically valved for the Prophet too (so you'll want to think about that if you look on ebay or some of the e-tailers).

Others here can talk to more about valving, or you can ask your shop.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
That frame has a Manitou Radium on it correct? Getting into a tuneable platform shock will be a better option. Platform allows the rider to remain quiet while climbing, without going to a lockout, which makes it a hard tail, which begs the question, why ya carrying all the weight and complexity if you wanted a hardtail? A Maniotu Swinger 3 way, or an RP23 would be abetter option, definately!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want a hardtail on my way down the hill and I'm not willing to give up the suspension just to make my climbing better. However if I just get a better shock and it helps my climbing then it's worth the money. I realize this will be a religion question but what are the reasons the fox is better then the manitou or vice versa?

I'm not sure what you mean by valving either. I called Cannondale and they said all I needed to know was 7.85 and 2 inch stroke. Do you mean how the valve is situated so that you can pump it back up?

·
Registered
415 Posts
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=71&products_id=398&osCsid=5de77c81ef3b38d35ec14c0a73e04a61

my Prophet 1000 came with this shock, I wanted to have a spare just in case so I bought it. Then I read a lot about the valving warning (the internals of the shock). So I just tried it and guess what? Worked fine!! $99 spare shock.

The SPV is what your looking for to keep you from bobbing your way uphill. As far as Fox vs Manitou(sp), I'll leave that to the people who know what their talking about. I had a Fox R on my old bike and it was fine, and I have the Swinger on the Prophet and it's great.

how can you beat $99??

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,484 Posts
Fox vs Manitou...... Make the wrong decision, and your bike will break in half, make the right one, it will develop wings, and the ability to use them :D

Of course I'm kidding. Both are fine, there are subtle differences, but both companies would aggree that the other makes a perfectly decent, comparable product. Valving differences refers to the size of hole, the thickness of shims, etc. All these devices help control the movement of the shock. All shocks of good quality (not walmart bikes) have rebound damping, many have compression too. The larger difference is whether they give you the ability to control and adjusty them externally. Different bike makers use different types and styles of suspoension, and these make the shocks compress in different ways, angles, speeds lengths, etc. So, better companies have the shocks they are using, valve optimzed for their frame. If you're buying 10,000 shocks from Fox, they will happily put a thicker rebound valve shim in, and increase the compression gate orifice by a thousandth. Allthese things make the shock work better with that design, but they do not make it un useable for another, though it may act a bit funny, if you are really used to one, and switch to a really far off set up other. Buy what your pocketbook says you can, but do get a platform shock, RP3 (23) of Swinger 3way. That much will make a huge difference, and the Prophet is built for a Platform shock.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
mtb_g33k said:
My only question is why is it so cheap?
Probably because they are overstock and are going to be spec'ed on any new SC's....
Perhaps they are going with the incrementally better RP23?
Speculation...
CDT
(I still want a pic of Bush on a Cannondale! ;) )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.