Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lock-on users: Anyone recommend those dangerboy bar-end caps?

I wanna get a set of lock ons for my vpfree, and I noticed that dangerboy makes these bar end slug thingies to put on the end of the bar. I like the look of them, but they're expensive (20 bucks for like 5 ounces of aluminum). Does one really need them to like protect the end of the bar or something? Or are they just to look cool?

http://www.dangerboyusa.com/pages/dbproduct/cap.htm

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
The $20 price tag is just because they are "custom" and brandname. Most ODI lockons come with bars-ends. Yours might too.
I always use the bar-ends, it doesn't scratch my truck when I lean my bike against it, and I don't have to worry about getting a puncture wound in my gut if I crash hard and my bars twist.

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eh, the safety issue is a good point. I'm pretty crash-friendly, and it would deffinately suck to get speared through the gut just because I was too cheap to buy the caps. And as for the plastic idea, I've already worn through the stock lizardskin plastic caps that came on the bars stock from too many high-speed bar-grinders, so I guess I'll just stick with the aluminum:thumbsup:

·
Bike Hustler
822 Posts
I ran mine without for a couple moths and the worst part was having to extract a good inch or two of soil that packs it self into the ends of the bars when you lay it down or crash.

I that would be a disaster for the weight weenies out there.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
I like the rubber inserts.

Here's a pic of the rubber kind that insert into the end of the bar and actually extend out from the bar a bit. The advantage of this is that the metal on the end of the lock-on has a small buffer to keep from mashing parts of your body in a crash or poking any harder than necessary when/if the bar slams your gut. This insert has a threaded screw expander to hold it in the bar. The rubber is decently durable to survive some crashes but still remain soft enough to do you some good you get between the bar end and something hard. These things offer a lot more protection than the plastic bar plugs because they're softer and stick out just a bit. They're relatively cheap. I think they're made by Velox. Oh...with these you can also lean your bike up against your Porshe 911 without scratching the paint.:D

Attachments

·
My arm hurts a little
1,471 Posts
I used to like the Dangerboys but they always seem to dent the end of your bar. I just use the stock ODI they work well but they are a little bit bigger

·
Registered
978 Posts
use the simple flat ODI that come with gripsnot the round ones they do not hold in place this aluminium lwill loks good for about five minutes until you rest your bike on the ground for the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.