Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting some new grips for my bike, currently using kona jacksh** grips and they're not that great. Is anyone using lock on grips? I like the idea of these and was looking at some superstar grips but they're 150mm wide, which i though was a bit large?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
150mm isn't massive, 'normal' mtb grips are 135mm, 1.5cm isn't a huge difference.

RE lock ons: YES YES GET SOME NOW... ahem*

They're one of the few things that improve any bike, plus never having throttle-grip again is wonderful. I imagine 90+ percent of mtbr's users run lock on grips.

As for brands, they pretty much all work, pick based on pricing and a style you like, that's all the difference. I quite like Bontrager rl and Pro Atherton ones, they only have one lockring which suits me as I like to have my hands right on the ends of the bar. Also used a bunch of Lizard Skins, GT and Sunline grips, they all worked completely fine.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I just measured all of mine: ODI Rogue, Sunline, Straightline, and some cheapies from Pricepoint, all 130, DMR were 140. Unless you have controls right up against your grips, I can't see it mattering (I have at least 30mm between them). Also, I've cut down some ODIs and only used one ring with no problems so far (bike with gripshift).

Everyone uses lockons, except the weight weenies that don't actually ride. Putting on grips with hairspray, then screaming at them to get them off... sucks. Never again.

·
Registered
829 Posts
regular oury's are softier and nicer than lock-ons, and they are also cheaper. You can glue them on with spray on clear coat, and they wont spin. You can still take them off with a little rubbing alcohol and re-use them.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
K2Lambo666 said:
ya i had those and they suck lol bought the rogues and dont think ill be switching anytime soon.
haha i know, seriously whats the point? its just about as hard to get on and off as a regular grip but it has a fairly useless plastic clamp at either end that requiers a torx and an allan wrench to use.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
b-kul said:
i have wtb lock ons. stupidest design ever, sunline is where its at.
Hopefully they won't slip like my current Oury Lock-Ons do with the Sunline V1 OS bar. The Sunline grips come with a thin layer of rubber for this exact reason. Some black electric tape would probably do the trick with the Ourys but had a credit at Blueskycycling which is clearing out Sunline lock-on grips for under $8/pair.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm liking the pro athertons, I ride with my hands at the very end of my bars a lot and these are much better than a standard 2 lock ring grip!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I ride Oury's and I have a set of ODI lock on's on my 29er and I love them. The only problem is that they really are not that comfortable because there is less rubber because there is a aluminum tube that the whole grip is made from. The idea is great though and you can change grips a lot easier!

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
b-kul said:
i have wtb lock ons. stupidest design ever, sunline is where its at.
Wow, those WTB grips must be really bad if you can call the Sunlines a good design in comparison:eek: . I still can't understand why Sunline relies on inefficient set screws and the small, localized pressure they give instead of a properly designed split ring with pinch bolt like ODI and so many others (just not in plastic like WTB though). My Sunlines were very comfy but kept slipping every now and then. By the time I found a torque value that kept them in place reliably it was enough to square off the ends of my handlebar a bit. I've been using a couple of ODI grips for a couple years since then and have never had a single slip and certainly never damaged a bar with them. Even the super cheap Sette lock-ons on my wife's bike have been solid and reliable

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.