Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
No. Just No.
5,405 Posts
revmonkey said:
is it possible to cut down lock-ons so they can work with a sram twister? thanks for the help

al
You can cut them down, but you'd lose the "lock" on one end. Or, a better solution would actually be to buy the lock-on grips in the short length that are specifically meant for use with twist/grip shifters. You wouldn't even need the collars since you already have a set. Just the grips themselves which should be quite cheap - probably under $10. Then you still get to have collars on both ends.

·
Adobo Lover
985 Posts
I still use the Odi lock on's but find them a little too short. SRAM makes a grip that's length is between the Odi's short one and a normal size grip. It comes with their Attack and rocket twist shifters. I find that grip to be a perfect match however it does not have the lock on feature. I wish they would make the twist shift grips in a little longer size.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Cut Them

I like the Oury Lock Ons but they do not come in a a short version. A couple of minutes with my Swiss Army knife saw and I have a Gripshift length Lock On. I put the lock inboard so the endcap covers the cut end. Never had a problem with slipping, ever.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
95Stumpy said:
I still use the Odi lock on's but find them a little too short. SRAM makes a grip that's length is between the Odi's short one and a normal size grip. It comes with their Attack and rocket twist shifters. I find that grip to be a perfect match however it does not have the lock on feature. I wish they would make the twist shift grips in a little longer size.
My sentiments exactly. I find the freebie SRAM grips the perfect length. The ODI short length is too short and the regular one is too long.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Agreed. I really like the length of the grips that SRAM is supplying with the shifters, and wish there was a lock on grip available in that length. I ran the stock grips for a while, but they wouldn't stay put with all of that twisting in close proximity. My hands are just about spilling over the sides of the silly short ODI's, and I don't even have big hands. I suspect that gripshift length lock ons are made so short because there is a general assumption that nowadays twisties are favored only by XC racers. This stereotype may be a bit outdated, but to paint a picture....flat bars cut down to 22 or 23" that barely have any room to spare what with mounting grips, shifters, cyclo-computers, lockout levers, etc.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I just chopped my ODI lockons. You lose the lock on one end, but I've *never* had a problem slipping. I think I used a hacksaw or a really sharp razor knife. Works great, and you can cut them to whatever length you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.