Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Uncle
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have a not-so-crucial weld job that I'd like to get done on my steel tandem frame, detailed here:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7069206#poststop

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as it's not a structural concern, anyone with a bit of TIG skill should be able to do the job. I haven't heard back from Mikkelsen or Litton yet. Wondering if you can recommend any local welders in the East Bay that might be capable and more available -- doesn't have to be someone that has their names on bikes. It doesn't have to be really pretty work, as I'm expecting to clean it up and powder coat it after repairs anyway. I've got it apart now and would like to see this repair through early next week so that I can get it back together.

Thanks much.

·
sure...follow me
104 Posts
Kim Williams--Williams Welding 2056 Clement St., Alameda 521-5514. He welded an aluminum Santa Cruz frame for me. He did a nice job, he talks a lot and has a lot of goodies in his shop, especially if you are a vintage British "motorbike" fan. He traded the work for an old set of platform pedals i had.

·
Uncle
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike of Cleaver is pretty cool. Spent an hour in his workspace gabbin' with him while he patched it with a some extra material he had on hand, silver brazed in place:

He could have filled and TIGged it for a seamless appearance, but this thing is old and rusty, and a fairly basic bicycle, so I opted for the simple solution. Thinking I might paint this portion a fleshy, Band Aid color. ;)

So, a simple powder coat job will be coming next. 511.org says 580 esta no bueno, so next week some time. I'm getting into this like I used to get into old Mopars, so I'll post a few more pics as it comes along.

josh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.