Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Elliot Bay Bicycles (think custom Davidson frames) today doing a little shopping but mostly just checking out the cool vintage road frames they have hanging from the walls and ceilings. Close to closing time and the only one in the shop, I was fortunate enough to start a conversation with the shop co owner and long time frame builder Bob Freeman. After Bob found out I was interested in vintage mountain bikes, he shared a few good old Mtb stories. Then he took me in the way back room to show me a couple of his vintage mtb's including the first Mtb frame he built back in 1981. Reynolds tandem steel, unique biplane style fork with sloping sides, fillet brazed. Very cool. I tried getting a shot with my cell phone but it was just too dark.
Made my week.
T

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are many big names in this sport, but it's always the passion of the "little guys" that make you realize that it's so much more than just a sport.

Thanks for sharing your story. I brings back good memories.

jb

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sfgirlonbike said:
81? Really? That is pretty early. Would love to see a picture! Go back!
Yep, 81 I was thinking the same thing. I believe (but not for sure) Bob was building frames with Bill starting in the late 70's. He stated the bike was last repainted and new parts in the late 80's and it had the correct kit on it to confirm. Very laid back stretched out geometry. I don't get to the big city too often or to that shop except maybe once a year. I promise next time I go in I will have a real camera. I will download this cell phone photo and post if you don't give me a hard time about photo.

I think it is pretty well documented Rodriguez was putting together mtb frames up here in the very early 80's. No doubt these guys were all in the same circle.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, I know. you have seen better photo's of aliens stepping out of spaceships on the whitehouse lawn than this, but hey, it's this or nuthin,
Happy Independence day:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.