Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

301 - 315 of 315 Posts

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Rivers here in NH are so damn low. I have been out fly fishing a few times per week all "pandemic" and it breaks my heart to see the water so low in June........I feel like a farmer praying for every other day steady rain for a couple weeks.
I fished for trout a few times locally. Stopped pestering them a couple weeks ago. I'll be targeting bass until we see some water push through the rivers.

Seems like the writing is on the wall about tourism this summer, and even inter-county travel should be looked at more closely in Vt.
https://vtdigger.org/2020/06/22/out-of-staters-swarm-lower-vermont-swimming-holes/

·
Registered
74 Posts
^Sounds awesome. We've been luck to get some showers in the afternoons. Everything is glued back together for the time being. One quick downpour did some noticeable erosion on the Goat Path in particular. That trail is on the brink of disaster, carrying water for hundreds of feet before dumping it in a tight turn. The corner was silted in a couple inches deep, couldn't help but roost the crap out of it like fresh pow. Lemonade.
That trail needs some water bars and less traffic.
Water data suggests that the north half of Vt is probably in the best shape right now...
https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=vt&w=map
Goat path is probably my favorite trail in all of VT. Was it purpose built for mountain biking? Just curious about the history.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
Goat path is probably my favorite trail in all of VT. Was it purpose built for mountain biking? Just curious about the history.
It was built by a guy named Tim who I never met, before I moved here in 2007. He was a MTBer.

Favorite trail in Vt? That's kind of nuts. It's 75 seconds long. It is a fun, over-steep section of trail that is seeing way too much traffic. I need to do some storm water mitigation. Another route is going in from the HW shelter that should help relieve some stress.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It was built by a guy named Tim who I never met, before I moved here in 2007. He was a MTBer.

Favorite trail in Vt? That's kind of nuts. It's 75 seconds long. It is a fun, over-steep section of trail that is seeing way too much traffic. I need to do some storm water mitigation. Another route is going in from the HW shelter that should help relieve some stress.
I'm sure I have the name wrong. I think i'm referring to the ridge trail that ends at the top of the ski lift. I just really like the endless collection of puzzles on that trail.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
I'm sure I have the name wrong. I think i'm referring to the ridge trail that ends at the top of the ski lift. I just really like the endless collection of puzzles on that trail.
Ok. The Goat Path is the short section of trail from the Hawk Watch Shelter down to the 4 wheeler trail marked as the Clark Route with red blaze. The trail from the Cairn on Clark over to the shaw center/old ski hill I cut while also working for Sinuosity building out the Shaw Center. I "Finished" it the same week, and the grand opening ride for the Shaw Center we also rode that trail. I call it the Ridge trail from the Cairn to where it connects to vast (at the small pond, I don't think most folks realize it almost touches the VAST trail there). I call the piece of trail from the pond to the Shaw Center (past the log ride) the Pond Trail. I guess that trail is probably 10 years old now.

I haven't ridden it too much this year, but I love Ridge/Pond as well. It shows signs of wear, but not too much widening for a trail 10 years in to life. I tried to be real careful on routing so that widening would be difficult with pinch points as often as possible. I have planned a reroute for the short, steep and sometimes wet climb on the old VAST in the middle, but have yet to get around to it. A few other places it's wider than I would like, and a few turns are blowing apart. I have some old school friends that really like riding it backwards. Everything has been cleaned no dabs, or so I'm told. Glad you like it.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Wow, that is not photoshoped!?
That was taken right after the Ridge trail was opened. On the shakedown ride with a big group there was a spectacular crash here...I think it was Brooke actually. That striation was there for a couple years until the moss got burned off. It actually looked like that BITD and was always a little scary to roll over.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the history and nomenclature. Whenever I have friends visit from out of state I put this on the itinerary as a fine example of trail construction using natural features. I finally rode it dab free last year I think.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #310
https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=vt&w=map
Thankful for the rain. Maybe got a half inch yesterday/last night.
Green lights across the state. Friction coefficients likely highly variable from dirt to wood to rock, but things should be riding great this afternoon unless we get another douching. No watershed in the state is even close to boatable levels, everything should be is great shape.

Of course that doesn't mean your local trails aren't closed, so....if your trails have been clubbed, obey or face the cancel culture of social media call-outs.

·
2,603 Posts
Rode Cochran’s yesterday morning in the mist/light rain and trail conditions were sublime (and open). A nice layer of damp, tacky dirt on top of the dusty loam was like velcro. Put in a fast and hard ride with only seeing one other rider. Wet trails don’t necessarily mean muddy trails. Keep those rain showers coming.

On another note/complaint, I was thinking of heading to NEK this morning to ride. There was an AM window of no rain and I figured those trails would be fun and empty with yesterday’s rain.

I check their website to buy a day pass and they just don’t sell day passes anymore. You must buy a $35 month “membership” at minimum. I have no plans to ride there more than once in the next month so why the hell would I buy this? Not to mention the silly process of “checking in” with KT staff at their parking areas because they need to make sure you’ve paid $35 to ride that day.

Nope. All set. No more KT riding for me.

Instead I hit some local trails for free after parking my truck and not be questioned by an “ambassador.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

301 - 315 of 315 Posts