Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

281 - 300 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
We rode Berlin-Northfield-Berlin yesterday. Man, the trails are in great shape. Dave, great work on the new return trail above the VAST. For our return route, we descended Postal and climbed Turkey Hill to FOrest Rd. Found a great single track climb (though looks like most descend it) back to the trail over to the battery. Looks like more rake and ride single track over on that side of the Paine Mt. Very cool stuff. The descent from the summit of Paine down the east side is riding so good. Nice work!

·
beer thief
4,914 Posts
Rode local yesterday (which means NH). While VT is still "locked down" in theory we are obeying their restrictions despite paying a hefty sum in VT property taxes......since the first week of March we have spent ~36 hrs in VT maintaining our place......probably heading up this weekend to do some work, open it up and mow the lawn. Probably ride NH though......using our VT place as a home base.

Trails around here are running amazing, still very dry, could use some more rain.
I rode in VT yesterday, met state guidelines:
https://accd.vermont.gov/news/update-new-work-safe-additions-stay-home-stay-safe-order

·
Registered
858 Posts

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
Nice.

I'm not bothering with VT for a bit from a riding standpoint. Not to mention several counties in VT now fail their own litmus test of 400 cases per million.....last calc I think Chittenden was ~3600 per million and even the NEK was higher than 400, which is telling how that bar is set.
Totally. Been saying this for a long time. Chitt. co has 161,000 of 630,000 residents, and a pretty high voter turnout in general. If you want to be gub'nor, ya really want to win Chitt.Co. Just sayin'

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
Took a spin yesterday on some old school trails around the Mont-p area. Yup. Things are dry. Some of this network got leaf blown, some not. Dramatic difference in trail width and dust. Leave the leaves y'all. Tread light on fragile trails, excessive skidding now, on the steeper stuff in particular, is really detrimental.

Severe drought conditions...heading towards extreme.
https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?id=ww_drought

·
Registered
3 Posts
Confirmed dry conditions from this week riding Sunny Hollow, Mud Pond, and Cochrans.

Does anyone have intel on Hinesburg Town Forest? FOTW conditions page has not changed their (!) trail rating in a very long time...I went early May and it was great, then went a couple days after the last snow storm and it was a mud pile. Haven't been back since.

Also at Cochrans is a bunch of broken glass near the pump track, would be interested if someone has the back story on that and if there is a clean up planned.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does anyone have intel on Hinesburg Town Forest? FOTW conditions page has not changed their (!) trail rating in a very long time...I went early May and it was great, then went a couple days after the last snow storm and it was a mud pile. Haven't been back since.

HTF and everything in Northern Vermont I am aware of is great now. The only issues are the super sandy trails at some places like Perry that can get too dry. HTF, Carse, and Sleepy are riding better than ever. Enjoy a great weekend all!

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Waited around by the river yesterday afternoon until it rained. We got a good 1/3 of an inch. Headed out as the last drops were falling to find the riding to be excellent. No dust, grippy dirt, slick roots and rocks. Lush, green, dripping forest. Dark brown ribbons of flow and funk. I love riding my bicycle through the woods.

·
2,603 Posts
^^^So jealous you got rain down there. We heard thunder, saw the dark clouds in the distance but not a drop.

Did a big 42 mile, 6k vert. ride yesterday connecting Cochran’s to Huntington trails to Carse Hill. We started early but the heat got the best of us so we had to bail on looping in Hinesburg forest and Sleepy Hollow. Still an amazing ride. Deep woods trails in Huntington was the highlight. Miles and miles of long, narrow continuous singletrack.

Our original route would’ve be 44 miles and 8k of up. Definitely a big ride for a cooler day this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
^^^So jealous you got rain down there. We heard thunder, saw the dark clouds in the distance but not a drop.

Did a big 42 mile, 6k vert. ride yesterday connecting Cochran’s to Huntington trails to Carse Hill. We started early but the heat got the best of us so we had to bail on looping in Hinesburg forest and Sleepy Hollow. Still an amazing ride. Deep woods trails in Huntington was the highlight. Miles and miles of long, narrow continuous singletrack.

Our original route would’ve be 44 miles and 8k of up. Definitely a big ride for a cooler day this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cripes that's a lot of miles. I hit the wall at 30 these days. I used to like big rides over there starting and ending at Carse. Not sure I ever made it north of Economo rd. No easy miles in HTF.

·
2,603 Posts
Cripes that's a lot of miles. I hit the wall at 30 these days. I used to like big rides over there starting and ending at Carse. Not sure I ever made it north of Economo rd. No easy miles in HTF.
We had an ambitious route and realized it wasn't realistic when we got to at Carse. It was wise to not push on with the temps in the low 90s. A younger, dumber me would've wanted to push on which would've been dangerous. I'd be tempted to drop a car next time to avoid the road ride and brutal climb back to the Cochran's lot.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
We had an ambitious route and realized it wasn't realistic when we got to at Carse. It was wise to not push on with the temps in the low 90s. A younger, dumber me would've wanted to push on which would've been dangerous. I'd be tempted to drop a car next time to avoid the road ride and brutal climb back to the Cochran's lot.
I had a long ride planned a couple weeks out as well. As the forecast materialized, participants started dropping out. Ended up two of us, a partial shuttle, a few fun long DH runs, beers at the brown van we both feeling a mellow ride with lots DH rolling and beers. "Ride Everything" ride postponed until it's Seventysomething.

·
Registered
81 Posts
VT Sessions, we were out for a similar big ride yesterday. It's an annual Father's Day 50. 10 started and 4 completed it with 50.5 miles and 8900 of climbing. Happy Hollow stung early, but the repeat beat down of Front Door to Henry's, Back Door, Texas Hill to Sleepy Cabin, Rogue one Extension climb, and Answer to top of Jimmy Cliff at end fully cooked us!! They had received rain over on Carse, but the rest was dusty dry.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #295
VT Sessions, we were out for a similar big ride yesterday. It's an annual Father's Day 50. 10 started and 4 completed it with 50.5 miles and 8900 of climbing. Happy Hollow stung early, but the repeat beat down of Front Door to Henry's, Back Door, Texas Hill to Sleepy Cabin, Rogue one Extension climb, and Answer to top of Jimmy Cliff at end fully cooked us!! They had received rain over on Carse, but the rest was dusty dry.
You guys are nuts. Jdub told me he did a double century with 20k verts last week. Somewhere I traded building for riding. I can't believe how strong you folks are on bikes. Inspiring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
True it was, but my decision to do that ride was born of fear of having to do the tyler meritt father's day "ride." I left Friday at 2am and finished at 8pm. Sucked. But then the guilt of not joining the Richmond Posse didn't sting so much as I sucked down brew all day Sunday -- instead of dying on my way up the Answer -- the hardest singletrack climb I know.
Perhaps this is the wrong venue, but I agree with Dave's assertion that, at least, I am "nuts." As I age I feel increasingly compelled to prove to myself that age is just a number. Dave, I think you are just more self-assured and, therefore, not compulsive in chasing stupid pursuits. To be clear, I am not speaking for Tyler and the gang on this--for all I know these are just relaxing jaunts for them.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
I left Friday at 2am and finished at 8pm. ..... As I age I feel increasingly compelled to prove to myself that age is just a number....
I'm always up for a good adventure but fux'ake!

I believe there is a point of diminishing return on most things. I found some low hanging fruit in strangling folks in Jiujitsu, and gave up attempting to dominate animals like you on hot, dusty, washboard dirt road climbs and single speed mtn. bikes. Maybe I can get you in a Gi one day and reassert myself.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Stating the obvious, eveyrthing is damn dry. BUT, a silver lining to COVID for my wife and I personally is rediscovering how much outstanding riding is available well away from the pay to play distinations. They aren't as well marked or signed or mapped and that is part of the adventure and reminds me of my early days of riding before smart phones and "ride centers". Just some awesome trails, tread that is so firm and burned in under a layer of forest debris, pine needles etc. berms and rollers naturally formed from 30 years of rides, but yet very lightly traveled. Some great techy stretches and tough climbs leading to "ahead of their time" decents. Just some classic Northeast singletrack and solitude.

I forgot how nice it is to ride trail on fresh layers of pine needles or with vegetation crowding the trail without being freshly weedwacked etc.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
^Sounds awesome. We've been luck to get some showers in the afternoons. Everything is glued back together for the time being. One quick downpour did some noticeable erosion on the Goat Path in particular. That trail is on the brink of disaster, carrying water for hundreds of feet before dumping it in a tight turn. The corner was silted in a couple inches deep, couldn't help but roost the crap out of it like fresh pow. Lemonade.
That trail needs some water bars and less traffic.
Water data suggests that the north half of Vt is probably in the best shape right now...
https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=vt&w=map

·
Registered
858 Posts
^Sounds awesome. We've been luck to get some showers in the afternoons. Everything is glued back together for the time being. One quick downpour did some noticeable erosion on the Goat Path in particular. That trail is on the brink of disaster, carrying water for hundreds of feet before dumping it in a tight turn. The corner was silted in a couple inches deep, couldn't help but roost the crap out of it like fresh pow. Lemonade.
That trail needs some water bars and less traffic.
Water data suggests that the north half of Vt is probably in the best shape right now...
https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=vt&w=map
Rivers here in NH are so damn low. I have been out fly fishing a few times per week all "pandemic" and it breaks my heart to see the water so low in June........I feel like a farmer praying for every other day steady rain for a couple weeks.

281 - 300 of 315 Posts