Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 315 Posts

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=vt&w=map
Not sure where that spam came fro, or why I can't see JBP's post....
anyway, the water table us dropping fast. Spring is here early this year. Rainbow Home School has been out multiple days taking inventory of chainsaw work, and keeping the water moving off trail. Even with seasonal weather forecast, *some* trails will be ready for gentle use in the near future.

Locally, Norwich is closed so we will see a lot less abuse to the front side trails here in town as they love to muck about in the mud every spring and it's usually a couple weeks just to get the damage they do mitigated. I think if we're smart, we could be out on bikes in a couple weeks for mixed rides including some single tracks. Gonna be a real interesting summer as this Virus hysteria plays out. As we see cases and deaths climb, restrictions are likely to increase and last through the spring. Access to quality riding without the use of a car will be invaluable, and local resources like food production also being realized as highly important. Fortunately, our favorite local CSA is centered out of a spot a mile from the bottom of Pony Express so a ride up and over the ridge and back counts as a grocery run.

Many aspects of our daily life are shifting and evolving rapidly. I hope this is a catalyst for some positive change in our relationship with our environment, and each other. The human carbon footprint right now, during this lock down is a silver lining. Let's hope we have the collective wisdom to abandon neoliberalism and understand the importance of sustaining ourselves in a more localized way.

Trail work is a great way to feel good. As my boy says, cleaning out water bars is the most satisfying activity .... EVER!

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
We have a riding group of 10 guys and I am one of four riders who have have decided NOT to ride on our normal group ride. Of the other three who aren't riding, one rider's wife is a nurse who is in a hospital daily, one rider is a surgeon and frequently in a hospital, one rider actually tested positive for COVID-19, but hasn't ridden with us in a few months.

The six riders that continue to ride are keeping distance between each other on the ride and still tailgate after the ride although they have increased the distance between themselves in the parking lot. One guy is going into an "essential" populated workplace each day, and also rides in another large group. One guy invited a friend to ride with the group Saturday, who we have met two or three times, but really know nothing about what he does on a daily basis. To me, riding with them is a risk and one I'm not willing to take if it means increasing the risk of getting my wife and daughters sick.

I have taken a couple solo rides in the last week at a small bike park just to keep the heart pumping and legs moving. Yeah it's boring as hell, but it's the decision I have made and will live with for now. I'm not self-righteous and I don't want a medal, I just want to get back on the trail with my boys. I don't lecture them on their decisions and I just don't talk about it. In my eyes, if they continue to ride like this, it postpones the day that we ride together again.

WTF? This is my post which disappeared from a thread immediately after I posted it in the Riding Passion forum!

·
WNC Native
3,885 Posts
WTF? This is my post which disappeared from a thread immediately after I posted it in the Riding Passion forum!
What an insane glitch. I have no clue how it says I commented in this thread, what you copied was a post I was trying to put in the classifieds thread....... Yet what it shows I posted is actually your post from yet another thread.....

·
Registered
884 Posts
What an insane glitch. I have no clue how it says I commented in this thread, what you copied was a post I was trying to put in the classifieds thread....... Yet what it shows I posted is actually your post from yet another thread.....
And yet, when I clicked "Reply With Quote", it was your classified ad that came up! I had to manually change it to put my text in it.

·
trail magician
188 Posts
All Fellowship of the Wheel trails are closed due to both wet/muddy conditions and out of respect for the Governor's stay-home order. Two good reasons to avoid riding them.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All Fellowship of the Wheel trails are closed due to both wet/muddy conditions and out of respect for the Governor's stay-home order. Two good reasons to avoid riding them.
I would expect that people not travel too far to ride, but I didn't see trail closures being part of any order. Regular exercise is crucial to the mental and physical well being of many folks.

It is expected that people won't go out of their way to travel to a crowded trail head. It's not unreasonable for someone who lives close by stop and get some exercise and fresh air while out on their missions for groceries and soft paper goods. Might be ill-advised for someone from Chit.Co. to drive out here for a ride, but someone from Barre or Montpelier ect might appreciate a quick spin on dry trail....heck...it might even be essential for their mental state, and the well being of those living with them.

Personally, as a healthy 46 year old who has been perfecting his social distancing since 2008...Corona Virus is not a risk to me, and I'm not a vector. Locking myself in my house and not exercising or getting up on the Mtn is not ONLY a risk to me, it directly affects the emotional well being of my family.

So are all fellowship trails closed for this event, or just condition dependent? I think our local recreational resources are exponentially more important and valuable right now. If I was a member of your clubs, I'd have issue with that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I hear what Dave is trying to say here, but I think we also need to consider that people just cannot help themselves from acting foolish. This forum has been an indicator of that over the last few months with all the KTA talk. Folks in the MTB community are prone to killing the thing they love.

The key to the social distancing thing is the distance. If folks are hopping in the car to drive to their favorite trails, that's defeating the purpose. It's tough to tell folks not to get into a car to drive to ride. For a lot of people, especially Chittenden County folks, that means no riding. But maybe right now that's a price we've gotta pay. We are all making sacrifices to get through this pandemic. Choosing to be an asshole by pursuing your recreation passion at the risk of others' lives is a lame move.

For those of y'all who are lucky enough to have backyard trails or up the block trails, lucky you. Don't rub it in. Enjoy it for everybody else. We'll be back riding sooner if we take this thing seriously now.

·
2,603 Posts
https://vmba.org/covid-19-response/

The messaging from the VMBA website is not clear. They made it clear that most VMBA networks are closed because they’re too wet and they can’t gather people to do pre season trail maintenance. Cool with me, I get it. Happy to abide by that.

But are they closed for the foreseeable future due to the pandemic? Because I drove by Millstone on Saturday and lot was packed with cars. So when the trails dry out walkers can use them but not bikers? Are other VMBA networks roping off parking areas to walkers/non-bike trail users now?

I ride solo, I generally ride early mornings, I don’t hang out and socialize after my ride and my taxes go to maintaining my town’s forest trails and state forest’s trails. Responsible, local trail users could be blocked out because the general public are idiots and can’t be trusted to follow some simple guidelines.

I’m happy and eager to do everything possible to slow this down. I’m not one of these self righteous asses who gets asked to do something to help and says f—- you but I have a problem with the messaging from VMBA.

I know several other local non-VMBA trail networks that I’m happy to ride once they’re dry but their messaging is vague and leaves lots of questions.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trail work is a great solo activity. Spring clean up chores particularly good for unsupervised activity.

·
Registered
121 Posts
True, the VMBA communication wasn't clear.

I think the concern is people getting hurt and needing rescue and scarce medical attention. GMC closed the Long Trail too, so it's not just bikers.

Me personally, I know I'm far more likely to get hurt riding at Millstone rather than walking, so I guess I'm walking...

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, the VMBA communication wasn't clear.

I think the concern is people getting hurt and needing rescue and scarce medical attention. GMC closed the Long Trail too, so it's not just bikers.

Me personally, I know I'm far more likely to get hurt riding at Millstone rather than walking, so I guess I'm walking...
The LT and other Vt State Park hiking trails are always closed for mud season. Being smart about riding, and not riding are two choices. I walk 6 days a week. I'll ride once to enjoy the previous 6 days of trail work without guilt. I have a hard time with mandates that contradict common sense from the Gub'ner.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I hear you, Dave, no judgement here.

I think it is also an attempt to keep the tourist out of VT.

I was going to ride anyway too, but then I got to thinking that if I did get hurt, I sure don't want to visit a hospital right now either.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear you, Dave, no judgement here.

I sure don't want to visit a hospital right now either.
Heard that. FWIW, Hikers are by far the most likely trail user group to require rescue or medical attention. We have evolved around the existence of the wheel IMO. Walking down hill is just a bad idea.

I "Rode" yesterday in town here. Went out with the bike with a neighbor and rode and walked up the climb tossing twigs and larger branches and inventorying chain saw work. We got up to about 14-1500 feet before large patches of snow and wet areas convinced us to head out. We rode long sections of lower elevation south facing trail that was in great shape, that dry trail ended down in a valley on an old road still under snow, ice, water, and mud. While some sections of single track are good, main roads here and shady-side trails are still 2 weeks out.

The Shaw Center Trails on the front side may be good by this weekend. Orange laps may be the most hazardous option for me personally. :)

Saw this video put back up. Fun trail, but fast and jumpy. I hope Brooke doesn't mind me sharing. Music not good...fun riding. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOJ3qSsw2RI

·
2,603 Posts
Looking very forward to getting back on the Northfield trails, DaveVT. Please keep trail updates coming.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My buddy says Blueberry Lake is closed and all taped off with police tape. They live a half mile up the road and were using the place for their trail running. They're bummed. They heard locally it's to keep tourists from showing up to Mtn Bike. Is this happening at all VMBA spots? Hopefully they can let the residents enjoy their trails in appropriate ways while also discouraging people from vacationing there.

1 - 20 of 315 Posts