Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This will be fairly short because I appear to have some carpal tunnel developing in my right arm.

1st race of Arkansas State Series was yesterday.

Expert 30-39: 1 & 2nd both on 29ers (supercal and orbea)
Sport Sr: 2nd place on 29er (my 292)
Sport 30-30: 1, 2, & 3rd all on 29ers (including our own mtbkendal on his new WW's gearie)
Clyd: 1 & 3rd on 29ers - 293, and 292 (yours truely)

There were others, but I didn't know the guys personally so lost track.

There was a Dos 9, a couple sofa kings, and a ultra trick Ti RX 29er, ridden by a guy that looked 7 foot tall.

Here's the only pic I got. This is the winners of Clysdale. Guy on left "claimed" he weighed 200, but he looked about 180 with 3% bodyfat to me..he got 2nd. Guy in the middle lost like 40 lbs since last season, and is buff, but still about 220. Guy on the right is me, 3rd place, pudgy at 235lbs. However, I did win the BIG KAHUNA trophy. Basically they put twinkies out on the trail, and the clyd who brought the most twinkies back (un-eaten) won the big KAHUNA trophy. In the event of a tie, there would be a eat-off. Turns out I was the only one who stopped to pick any up...I stopped at 3 places to get them. I got passed nearly each time, but was able to chase back on. No telling if I could have won or not in abscense of the twinkie gathering...I think I was beat by 2 minutes or so at the line (10mile tight single track race - about 1h finish time).

Sugar update: Holy FOCK!! So nice, it's not even sane. I don't want to type at length here, but let me assure any nay-sayers, this bike is as nice or nicer than any FS bike I've ever owned. Gives me new confidence that it's NOT necc to spend $5000 to have a top shelf ride. Focking smooth, stable, confident, FAST. As I note above, I loaned it to a buddy at the starting line..he'd NEVER been on a 29er before, and rolled off the starting line in sport on it...came back with a smile (2nd place, first race EVER), said it was like cheating, he just pulled away from EVERYONE in the tight stuff..cornering and traction like he was unaware existed....coming off a Crackendale Jekyl.

ps: the dude on the right background with white Tshirt looking at his hand is mtbkendal..2nd place winner in sport M1, owner of 2 Walt Works bikes...was piloting his new battleship Grey WW Gearie...

·
Registered
136 Posts
GF 292/3's

There is so much to be said for the FS GFer's. When you add a stable platform rear (5th element) and 100 mm front shock (WB 1.0 air), lighten them up a bit with good parts, especially good wheels, they are just the best handling, efficient and most comfortable frames I've ever ridden. Between my Ti HT, my Dos Niner ST and my modified 293 FS at 26 lbs, I always keep coming back to the GF. Nothing I've tried seems to do so much so well even the Dos at 2 lbs lighter.

·
Cold. Blue. Steel.
1,709 Posts
1. great report.
2. Congrats, twinkie hoss!! great ride and great trophy.
3. looking at the dude who got second... they need to bring a scale to the rest of your race series. that guy couldn't weigh 200+ with an anvil in his pants! :eek:

OGG

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stevenseltz said:
When you add a stable platform rear (5th element) and 100 mm front shock (WB 1.0 air), lighten them up a bit with good parts, especially good wheels, they are just the best handling, efficient and most comfortable frames I've ever ridden.

Between my Ti HT, my Dos Niner ST and my modified 293 FS at 26 lbs, I always keep coming back to the GF. Nothing I've tried seems to do so much so well even the Dos at 2 lbs lighter.
Damn skippy. The sugar now comes with a stable platform rear shock, and the REBA is 100mm. Mine is also tightened up, and I agree, man it's na-na-na-nIIIICE....

The buddy who borrowed it might benifit from a Dos 9er..he's skinny, ~160 lbs....??...??

·
Is it play time yet?
331 Posts
Final nail

Thanks for the report and congrats! From all the research I've done it sounds like a whip-tastic bike for we big guys. I just ordered a 292 and it will be here in May......back ordered for some unknown reason.

Yup, that 2nd place guy looks like a sandbagger to me. At 6'5", I'm 195 lbs. mid-season but no way would I try to line up as a clydesdale when I'm around 200. I'm not sure how that guy could feel good about his placing.

-Erik

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
both of those two look like they have no place in a clyde race....

was the first place guy named jan ulrich??? DAMN, he looks like him!

good f-in job! i'd say you were first as those two have no place in the clyde sclass to begin with. hell, you barely look like a clyde to me ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm glad to see that the sugar is finally getting the attention it deserves. It really is the best opition out there for a trailbike with any amount of travel. The lenz and titus don't have enough travel for me and they can only run 80mm forks, or at least they are suppose to only use 80mm. The Ventana looked promising untill I found out how much it weighed :mad: Sugars are so sweet :D . And you better hold on to that one Nate, otherwise you'll be riding a stupid cake with a 14 inch bb height. That sugar is about to double in price once you see next years 29ers from fisher.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Darik said:
I'm glad to see that the sugar is finally getting the attention it deserves. It really is the best opition out there for a trailbike with any amount of travel. Sugars are so sweet :D .
I tend to agree. In all fairness though, I didn't ride the Lenz enough/fast enough to really give a good comparison...and I must say I still don't like the Fox Rp3 rear shock...

Darik said:
And you better hold on to that one Nate, otherwise you'll be riding a stupid cake with a 14 inch bb height. That sugar is about to double in price once you see next years 29ers from fisher.
It sounds like you're holding out on us. Tell us what you know...

1) there WILL BE a 29er cake in 2006???
2) the BB will be excessively high???
3) there will be no sugar 29er in 2006???

Spill it, or email it to me on the side if you can't spill it publically (or you'd have to kill us)..

·
Registered
98 Posts
well,

If you've heard anything about the cake since it came out, you wouldn't be exited. The bottom brackets are really high, the standover is about like saddling a horse, and the rear suspension feels like it's scissoring in the middle of the bike. Oh, and let's just say that your sugar may be the best 29er fisher won't be making anymore :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
111 Posts
OK.. what I am doing...

I cant figure out why I am looking at my hand, I am speculating I am looking at all the snot mixed with dust and pollen from wiping my nose??? Anyway, I was 2nd Nathan!!! #2, Dos!! I was very excited about all the 29ers at this race. twice as many as last years races. Arkansas has some great people..

Just to mention, We had the the 1st annual Dirty South Single Speed race here in Shreveport LA. Not a big crowd but we had 6 racers from 3 states and 2 on 29ers. so that is a 1/3 for a pretty much a baby in the mountain biking scene. Waltworks and GF Rig represented. I won this one of course :D (my own trail)

2nd Nathan!!! Later Brady

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
Wow!

Those are great results! A few more races with those kind of results, and MBA is going to have to stop bashing 29"ers.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
20.100 FR said:
Why ?
Is it the propedal thing ?
I don't know. It was just ultra squishy at all times, all settings, all air pressures. The rear shock on the Sugar has a very firm, non-squishy, XC racer type feel to it...and yes, I have extensively played with pressures on both...

20.100 FR said:
PS : waiting for my custom picture :D

Note for readers: he wanted a BB to top of saddle nose photo (adjusted to 33 inches)

Well, it's dark, and didn't bother with the extra photo, but I can tell you this from measuring just now:
*These photo's are taken with a 30" BB center to top of saddle nose.
*Saddle nose is 1.5" above top of handlebar (at stem clamp)
*It may not look like the saddle is higher, but in some of these photo's (like the one in this specific post) the front wheel is resting higher than the rear wheel
*I don't think you'd look goofy with the saddle up another 3", but you may as well go XL if you can at that point.
*My post would be maxed, or beyond max if I tried to get another 3" out of it.

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Hoho, great day, your pictures are now showing up naturally in my browser :)

I don't think your shock on the sugar is an RP3, so may be you were talking of the shock on the Lentz ?
Have you check that the suspension (without the shock) can move freely ? This is very important, especially on multi-link mechanisms, wich need very good accuracy to work well.
I've heard mixed feeling avout the rp3.
My prefered fox shock (non brain) is still the "triad" available only for specialized :
3 settings : locked, propedal, free

This said, my dream shock would be a "brain enduro" were you can adjust from the bar if you want a locked system on flat ground (like on the epic), a semi locked state (like on the enduro brain frames), or a fully open system (for downhills)

As for the picture of your bike with the 85cm bb to saddle, i would be very interested in it because i would allow me to compare with csjbike XL 293, that has the saddle just at the height i want :

I think the L would suit me better (for technical singletrack i like short and low bikes), but i would like to see the visual difference :rolleyes: Please ! :cool:

I know that i would probably have to go for a 400 to 410mm seatpost to be able to achieve the height i want.

I think it would do the trick with a riser stem and low rise bar.

I put myself first on the list if you happened to sell your sugar, just because it so hard to find around here, because i think it would be a great frame for me and because my girlfriend just loves the red color :)

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
20.100, have you ever played with BikeCAD? It'll give you all kinds of measurement, like seat-over-bar, various reaches, etc. So much faster than putting it all in CAD yourself, or even measuring from pictures taken with a one-point camera lens.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.