Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to get my Canfield Brothers Balance powdercoated and wanted to know if anybody knew local guy who is proficient with bike frames? My Balance is a fairly complicated frame to paint (pinch bolts for bearings, adjustable, replaceable dropouts, parallel linkage so two aluminum links as well. Any suggestions for Boise area?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Try Coatings Plus. Not sure about bike frames, but, they did a great job on a custom raft frame.

512 E 45th St
Boise, ID 83714
(208) 377-0900

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just called them

Talked to a Frank and he sounded super comfortable about painting the bike. Strip with sand blasting, which I have heard is frowned upon but will probably have them do it. I started stripping/sanding and it would take me many hours that way. Will post detailed before and after pics for everybody to see.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TwistedCrank said:
What about chasing and facing?
If you are asking if I will need to, I expect to have to, yes. I am hoping to get the taping and prep work as such that will minimize but will have to wait and see I guess.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
frame dropped off

I am really excited. Talked with Frank extensively about plugging bolt holes, bearing surfaces, head tubes and bottom bracket. He says he has done quite a few bikes so I walked away feeling quite good about how the end result will go together. I chose two different colors, one from front and rear triangles and one for links and total cost with stripping old paint quoted as 106 with tax. I was expecting to pay for extra color and for stripping so am pleased with cost.
I decided not to take before pictures as I had started stripping and sanding already so it would tell you nothing really. Will post detailed after shots though, promise. Should have it by christmas.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frame is back in hands

Got the frame back from Coatings Plus yesterday and am quite pleased. Had to do a little filing on the bottom bracket and head tube area as the paint was a little rough there, probably from the baking process. But all in all, took me maybe 4 minutes. One link had too much paint on the race where the bearings sit so had to sand some off there as well but that is my fault. The bearings are held in with pinch bolts so they don't need to be pressed in so I told Frank not to worry about that area, thought I had plenty of tolerance due to the pinch ability. None of the other 6 bearings had any issue.
Threads were all quite clean, just some super minor work with a tiny screwdriver and all bolts threaded right in without issue. Here are pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
here she is built up

I started building her at 11pm last night. Was only going to file the excess paint from bb and head tube and then install headset. But one thing led to another in my excitement and finished her off. I must be getting efficient at this though as it only took me till midnight. Still have to wrap my driveline chainstay but other than that, she is finished.

I am very pleased with the paint job and think I got an absolute bargain for 106 including tax, stripping old paint, and two colors. Frank told me the guy who painted it has been doing powdercoating for 15 years now. I would highly recommend them to anybody and they will have my repeat business for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice, I was going to ask you about those pedals again but they were planned for my DH bike. May have to reconsider which bike gets which. Dh is ano black with white links. Lowers may be a bit too much white for my taste but I have thought about it. New ones are cost prohibitive but maybe a repaint next time I pull it apart for a rebuild. Between you, me, and the rest of the forum, I have been watching for another 66 as I love it and they don't make them like that anymore and always thought a white could be cool to try.

·
TRAIL KUBUKI CORNDOGGER
2,980 Posts
Bank.

But what's up with the skulls and death stickers? Why not add a couple of Jesus fishes? And some flower decals.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ride like I drive

all angry and aggro. No room for peace, love, or tranquility on my machine. Doesn't go with the heat I'm packin' for those morons who don't see me coming and clear the 'you know what' out of the way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts