Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Santa Cruz Blur XC. It's a nice bike. Anodized frame, XT components, great condition. But I'm ready for something new. Don't want to deal with trying to sell my Blur in the classifieds. Looking for a shop in So Cal that will take it as a trade in. Anybody have experience with that?

·
Registered
471 Posts
None I've ever heard of in the LA area.

Don't expect too much. If you really cant be bothered, go to Play it again sports.

You're going to get hosed on the value though. Best bet is pinkbike classified.

·
Registered
613 Posts
No idea on that but I know you're going to get way lowballed.

That being said, where are you in so cal? If you're in an area I am passing through I'll give you 50 more than whatever play it again or a plan shop offers you. Yes, I know it will be a lowball and it's not going to be anywhere close on retail but send me details.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Only time I have ever seen LBSs offering trade-ins are when they knock $50 off if you trade in an old clunker.

Best bet is either pinkbike or one of the more local forums (imtbtrails, socaltrailriders)

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Just eBay that 2006 SC 26er off. You'd be surprised how many people will still pay top $$$ for that bike. Got extra time and want a few bucks more?......part it all out.

The only LBS who could remotely consider taking in trades....are those who do lots of rentals. But then again, expect Pawn Shop offers for your Blur....an LBS is out to double or triple their return on investment!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've pink biked two bikes so far with no problems. In both cases, the Ebay auctions I was running simultaneously with the pink bike listings were bidding ~20% higher when I cancelled bids. Ebay gives you one free auction cancellation each year.

But, for me it was worth it to have cash in hand while avoiding the hassle of shipping a bike. Also the questions I was getting from the highest bidders had noob written all over them. Last guy I sold a bike to knew exactly what he was buying, and that's a comforting thought for me for some reason. He's not going to buy a 5 inch travel bike from me one day and two days later figure out he needs another inch of travel. It wouldn't be my problem, but on Ebay something like that would become my problem. Paypal won't release the funds until the buyer leaves positive feedback. A simple case of buyer's remorse can turn the whole transaction upside down.

If pink bike, CL, ebay etc. are things you absolutely have to avoid, then this chain in the orange county area prominently advertises its trade-in option for bicycles:

Jax Bicycles Trade-Ins

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a service shop in Orange County"CycleTech" that does consignment, I was able to sell my road bike there. Great owner, located off the 405/Farview

1 - 9 of 9 Posts