Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in early March I was in the market for a cross bike. Decided on a Hakka, but wanted to go with the rival build as I wasn't sure how into a cross bike I'd be and am still budgeting on a 29er fs bike this year. So we're talking a $3300 bike.

Competitive will give you 5% off a stock build if you even hint at a discount and sports basement is an ibis dealer and gives 10% off to their loyalty program.

I went in to my local shop on March 9th who I usually have do some work on my bike and I've bought bikes from before (i.e not a total stranger) and told them what I was interested in, but I needed a 55cm and they only had a 58 in stock. They offered to order me one, and I asked them to price match the 10% off, but that I also wanted to add a dropper. He said he could match the 10% off (they always do a flat 10% for the local bike club members anyways) and do better than 10% on the dropper. In total he gave me a quote for 3476 which was 10% off the bike and the dropper was basically the same price as if I ordered it from WWC or Competitive and asked if I wanted to order the bike. I told him yes, if he could have the bike quickly as I know Ibis can get backordered sometimes and I didn't want to wait months for the bike as that would put me into prime mtb riding time. I asked him to please verify they had one of the build, size and color in stock. He said he'd have to call me on Monday.

On 3/15 I had a vm from him saying he could get the bike by the end of the month. I missed that VM and didn't realize it until 3/24 so I called the shop back to see if that was still an accurate timeline and if so I would come in and give them a deposit or pay for the bike. They again said no problem, we'll find out and call you on Monday.

I don't hear form them again until mid afternoon 3/29 when he says yes, we can have the bike for you next thursday (4/4), but we're ordering today and have to have the order in by the end of the day. I change some plans, drive over and write them a check for $3,476.

On 4/10 I get a call from them that the bike should be shipping out tomorrow or the next day and they should see it by the weekend or monday.

On 4/13 I get a call that the bike is in, but they don't have the right dropper. I ask them what's wrong with it, as if they got the 150 instead of the 125 we could test it for fit. Nope, they ordered the wrong diameter dropper. I'm told I can take the bike now with the stock post or wait until next thursday for them to have the right sized dropper in.

At this point I'm already pretty frustrated, but it's also tax weekend so I don't pickup the bike. Thursday and Friday both go by with no call.

So now I find myself in the exact situation I didn't want to be in, almost a month wait on a bike that Sports Basement could have had in 2 business days now pushing into full on spring and I still don't have the bike in my hands.

I call them on Saturday 4/20 and tell them I want to cancel the order. Dude on the phone tells me he'll have to have the guy I was working with call me back and he's with another customer. He calls back quick enough and asks what's up. I tell him I need to cancel the order and he's like "Why the bike has been here waiting for you for over a week". Then goes on to tell me that he had overnighted the correct dropper over a week ago and claims he called and left me a vm. I point out that over a week ago was before I got a call from them telling me they had the wrong sized dropper and that I had no vm from him and at this point I don't want the bike, I simply want my money back. He's obviously not happy and insists he called me but tells me I can return the bike and they'll have to mail me a check back.

So, am I the arsehole here? Would you have still taken the bike at this point? If I'm honest with myself, the reason I'm wondering is had all the delays simply been on Ibis's part and the shop been on top of communication, I probably would have still taken the bike but their poor communication and then either half truth or outright lies was a deal breaker.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would be honest with the shop about your frustrations. How you want a good relationship with them and bought from them to prove it! I would take the bike, just hurts you also to miss more time. Hopefully, in time you guys will be joking about it as they are taking care of some warranty work.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sounds annoying, for sure, but if the bike is in and ready to be picked up now, at the price agreed on, and similar to the price you could have had at other places, might as well just pick up the bike. Seems like there's no downside at this point, and cancelling the order just to stick it to the shop might be a little petty.

If it were me, I'd pick up my bike, and take my business elsewhere in the future.

·
Registered
156 Posts
To me, what you describe seems pretty par for the course for a local bike shop. Remember, these guys are typically pretty cash strapped and overworked. They usually don't have systems to keep track of special orders and, especially at this relatively busy time of the year, are juggling a lot. If you had gotten your bike on time as expected, I would have considered it a pleasant surprise.
Look at the larger picture. Do you want to compromise your relationship with the shop? Is there value they provide to you and the community that outweighs the inconveniences you have had to deal with? Your call.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,942 Posts
To me, what you describe seems pretty par for the course for a local bike shop. Remember, these guys are typically pretty cash strapped and overworked. They usually don't have systems to keep track of special orders and, especially at this relatively busy time of the year, are juggling a lot. If you had gotten your bike on time as expected, I would have considered it a pleasant surprise.
Look at the larger picture. Do you want to compromise your relationship with the shop? Is there value they provide to you and the community that outweighs the inconveniences you have had to deal with? Your call.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
I agree with all of this. OP, frustrated as you are you have to be understanding.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,125 Posts
I'd just go pick up my bike and start riding it. There's really no guarantee that your experience with the other retailers would have been seamless, either. Let the LBS know your frustration and hope that they learn something from it.

·
Thread Killa
356 Posts
I agree with chuckha, pick up the bike, ride it and move on, probably don't do any more business with that shop but if it's there are waiting then why not just get it and go?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
You guys both goofed.

Yes, sounds like they screwed up the dropper. (Bike is rideable without one.)

You could have had the bike sooner if you didn't wait 9 days to return their call the first time.

Didn't pick it up because it was tax weekend? What does that have to do with them?

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I agree with everything posted so far. I'd pick up the bike and go for a ride to blow off steam! That does sound frustrating though.

Follow up with an email that concisely lists your why you're irritated, so hopefully they can learn from this in the future. You always want to put yourself in their shoes, maybe they were having a bad few days. If they don't seem sincere, or further problems come up, just vote with your dollars and go elsewhere.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You don't know for certain you could have received the mail order bike in 2 weeks. Mailorder shop could be reporting same as LBS - I can get it shipped on such and such date. Then when time comes, manufacturer delays trickle to the distributors.

I waited, like many many folks, just over 2 months for a Chameleon that should have arrived the next week. Santa Cruz updated "it should ship by xxx" 4 times in the time I had my order placed, and at that point I was already 2 shipments behind from when I started looking at the bike.

I think the bike is in and ready to go. It's internal to the shop they didn't communicate. The guy didn't call you back because he was waiting for you to respond to the VM that "apparently" another shop employee had left for you.

I think just get the bike and enjoy it. Lets say they refund you the cash then you order online (screwing our local shop out of a sale) only to find the catalog company can't get it for the next month? Then what.

It's a bummer you had to wait, but welcome to what many of us have gone through late last year waiting for an order to be fulfilled. The shop I purchased from had a few delays, a 2nd shop I went to look at bikes had a promise date that came and went too. Dude was so confident he wanted me to purchase from him (out of town) instead of my local shop. Come to find out, they never got any bikes in either.

·
Registered
410 Posts
It's an IBIS; realize this is a small if not micro company that puts out awesome bikes. I'
ve had customers hesitate 24 hrs on ordering a bike and Ibis has sold out in that amount of time. Ya gotta jump on them when you can. My procedure with special orders, especially Ibis, is that I leave voice message, then a text, then an email, and I make it clear I need a decision immediately. So if you hesitate, you're usually SOL; consider yourself lucky you got one. As for the seat post, super easy to order the wrong diameter; if you've ever used any of the major suppliers B2B, you'd get it. They were gracious enough to match an online price (taking food off their table), and a good price on the dropper, have a little patience, it will ALWAYS pay off latter with your LBS.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,659 Posts
pick up the bike. Soooooo much time invested on their part on this difficult, discounted order. And the other version of the story will be a bit different i'm sure.

LBS's are not printing money these days so give them the benefit of the doubt and move on.

·
Hella Olde
2,538 Posts
The old saying comes to mind "If you walk into a bike shop and can't tell who the arsehole is - it's you"

J/K dude. It's a tough call. But there are a lot of good droppers out there these days.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I mean the time is on you sorta. You called and just kept waiting and never followed up. You missed a VM when you knew the bike shop was checking.

So the clock really starts for me on 3/29 and they got it for you on 4/13. Who doesn't go out of their way to get their new bike.

You are acting like you have been put out by their miscommunication when most of the time it sounds like you aren't bothering to show up or respond.

Dropper is on them. Getting it in two weeks instead of a week is pretty damn good.

They screwed up a little, you screwed up a lot.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've worked in food service and retail as a high school and college student, so I always have an abundance of empathy of anyone doing the same.

I'd definitely pick up the bike from them and you'll quickly forget the incident ever happened. Maybe they're prioritize you if you need some service in the future.

VM situation happened to me regarding some custom riding glasses. Sometimes my VM's go into some blackhole and get lost (or the NSA accidentally deletes them).

slightly OT: I also want to buy a gravel/cross bike but need to sell my road bike first. Don't want to deal with eBay and shipping. Craigslist best bet?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I agree with the majority of the above. Let’s face it, the possibility of **** going sideways is present at every retailer / seller. It just is what it is. Have a heart to heart with the shop manager about your frustration, but support your local shop. It will hit you right in the feels if they go out of business.

·
change is good
3,125 Posts
Piling on - understand your frustration, although LBSs can be major PITAs, I’ve learned the hard way not to burn bridges. Plus a good LBS can really smooth out warranty issues. If I need something quick or by a certain deadline, I’ll go with an online retailer.

The solution is to buy backup bikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 49 Posts