Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
shifty
39 Posts
I'm sure that this has been done before, but for those with a metal plate and post... a couple $10 magnetic bases and cones makes for a simple little front triangle 'fixture'.

·
shifty
39 Posts
Smokebikes said:
Great idea using the c-clamps...........I can't quite figure out the third pic from the top, why it the tube split?
I didn't catch that either. Its a lug vise of sorts? Split it and braze on a nut to thread through to tighten to spread it out? I think I need to make me some of those. It doesn't spread the pressure out in all directions, but with a thick tube I doubt it deforms the lug much at all.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a lug vise. I used a big coupling nut thinking I would need a lot of pressure, but a standard nut would've been fine as little pressure is needed. The tube is mitered so I still have access to the inside of the lug.

-Joel

·
Gabe.....
1,182 Posts
All the talk about slotted disk brake tabs got me thinking..................I'm on my last one. So as suggested by one of the best in the business, I will have to design my own (tough love :D ) and to put on all the slotted tabs that I'll be fabricating I finally made a fixture for holding them on instead of the usual donor rotor, hub, and brake caliper. Still ghetto, but much better than what I've been using. Wonder what I should name it....................maybe I can ask the expert on that other thread. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Gabe.....
1,182 Posts
dr.welby said:
That's ghetto fabulous. I am so stealing that design.
Enjoy! Just make sure that if you make it using a "donor" frame, you only weld the inner axle nut on the non-drive side of the DO or else you won't be able to remove it from the frame. :thumbsup:

·
Most Delicious
1,404 Posts
Smokebikes said:
Enjoy! Just make sure that if you make it using a "donor" frame, you only weld the inner axle nut on the non-drive side of the DO or else you won't be able to remove it from the frame. :thumbsup:
I already, uh, "figured" that out on my similar though less fabulous version. Luckily I didn't weld it, I just had to disassemble it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts