Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
They are like bricks. I know 2 people who have them and I rode one guys. Hard as hell feeling. The one guy is just gonna ride them till they tear

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a set. They are a little on the hard side but dont seem to beat my hands up really. As far as the tape once there on, I dont know if you will get them off without cutting them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have them. I've only done one 3.5 hour ride and a few shorter rides with them. They are firmer then esi, but no worse then most lock ons. They are easily the grippiest grips I have used. I'll probably go back to esi when these wear out, simply because the tape system isn't my favorite.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm going to go back to esi's as well. I got my wife new brakes and had to cut the lizard skins off. I think the tape part is a poor design.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went for it and put these DSI grips on. Install went fine, took all of 5 minutes with the windex and double sided tape. Couldn't believe how light they were coming out of the box - felt like nothing. Shaved a ton from the stock, heavy rubber Lizard Skins that came on my Tallboy.

They work just fine. I have never been picky about grips and once I put them on I never gave them a 2nd thought during the 3-4 rides I have done so far. Don't feel too hard or too soft. Grippy enough and with padded gloves all is well.

Time will tell how the hold up. Curious if the tape glue will fail after too much wet weather. Until then...I am pleased.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
I have a pair also. i got them because my LBS didn't have the ESI's in stock. Not really digging them as much as the ESI chunkys I had before. Comfortwise...not too bad. I just don't really get the tape mounting setup.

Their customer service is super good. I got a wrinkle in one of the grips on the first ride. I sent them a pic of the wrinkle and they sent me another pair within a few days.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I like them, they have been durable in crashes, they don't spin around like _every_ other non-lock on grip that ive tried, and they are incredibly grippy, especially with sweaty palms and no gloves. While the tape may be a nuisance initially installing, I will not hesitate to buy another set when my current ones wear out. Most modern mtb parts can be removed without removing the grips as well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a full review of them on amazon.

I come from chunky's and oury's and i am really happy with them. I've done a few 4-6hr endurance races on them and I like them just fine.

I am a fan of the tape method too. Once you put them on they don't budge. If you want them off just cut them. I guess thats their only flaw.. Is they are single use only.

here's my full review on amazon.
Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lizard Skins DSP Bar Grips 32.3MM

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been working and holding up great since installed 10 months ago. The tape has held rock solid through much rain and mud. No real wear from crashes or setting down bike. 100% satisfied.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I find them plenty comfortable with more squish than the average lockon and love the grippiness when wet. I've removed/remounted twice now while changing bars. Just get some windex back under there and they'll slide off. I just picked up a roll of Scotch double sided mounting tape for a couple bucks for remounting and they work great. You wouldn't want to go digging at them with a screwdriver trying to get them off or they'll shred easy, but definitely not single use if you're careful.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
I have them on my new Range. The shop installed them for me on my replacement SixC bar. I'm coming from about 10 years of using Rogues and I love these Lizard Skins. Then again, I wear gloves which is adding to the cushiness. I am VERY happy with these grips.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
love the feel of the grip. i am a fan of thin, harder grips. the tape is no a problem, i use a .5'' strip near the end and can pull them off if i need to. they don't spin but i don't throttle the bars, ymmv. unfortunately they are self destructing on me, ill be going back to some normal rubber grips eventually.

·
Illuminati
1,729 Posts
I used ESI for over a year & DSP since august & I prefer the DSP, purely as the rubber is more tacky & provides more grip

·
All bike, all the time
1,067 Posts
Ok this is weenie question but anyone using colored DSPs? I got orange to match Fox 2016 graphics and within 3 rides they were turning black. I washed em with mild detergent and they turned black again. Now I've washed my gloves which were FILTHY! So we'll see... I like the orange and yeah realize this prob solved by running black grips, heh. Otherwise they rock far as I can tell.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have mine green and the same, I have to wash them almost every ride to keep them almost clean. I'll see if the next pair will be a colored one or black. Except this very happy with them :)!

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,424 Posts
Update to my earlier post - my hands hurt for anything over about 2.5 hours. I am thinking about replacing mine now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts