Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My fiancé's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him a new stem for his Santa Cruz Bullit. I know a little bit about stuff but when it comes to the "will it fit?" and "does this part work on this bike?"...well I'm lacking.

I got a Specialized Demo 8 that has a Syncros Bear Hug Stem last year. He's been eyeing my stem ever since I got the bike so I know he likes it. The man loves his Bullit and is continually ugrading the components. He's wanted to replace his stem for awhile but he's cut back on the bike funds due to the new wedding fund (what a great fiancé.)

I'm attaching pictures because I'm not sure of all the technical stuff, i.e. length (although I'm thinking 50mm) or angle and whatever else there could be.

I like the Syncros & Hope and in efforts to keep this a surprise I can't ask him the technical questions...so I need help...

What are your recommendations?

The Bullit

close ups of his stem

Close up of my stem

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Looks like a 1 1/8" steerer tube, how wide are answer protapers?

I'd highly recommend a thomson stem, as they're light and bulletproof..

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Looks like the stem is 25.4" handlebar clamp area and 1-1/8" steertube. A shorter stem length... possibly 50mm.

Try the Go-ride aftermarket crowns for those forks. You would have to get 31.8" handle bars (OverSized) to fit it tho. Little spendy but worth it. Check it out here.

http://www.go-ride.com/

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
sarahalyse said:
thanks for the suggestions. will my syncros work on his bike?
Is syncros still making that stem?? I'd check first.

Sara, you're a cool gal for doing that for your guy. The three main things you need to know is the steerer tube clamp. In this case on the Fox, it's 1 1/8".

The other thing you need to know is whether his bar clamping area is 25.4mm (normal sizing) or 31.8mm (aka, Oversize). It "appears" that those current bars are 25.4mm, but I can't tell for sure.

Last is the length. That stem he has on his bullit looks like a 40 or 50mm. I'd try to replicate that size for his new stem.

Here are a few stems I'd look at: Gravity (aka FSA) or Gravity Lite, Thomson X4 Elite, Race Face Diabolus

Cheers,
EBX

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I think I have the same stem as on that Bullitt (90% sure). It's a cheap weyless and is very short, like 40mm, and yes 25.4, and of course all triple clamp forks are 1 1/8th.

Take a look at Dangerboy stems, they are A1 prime cut. But, if you said he has been eyeing your stem... hmm, maybe you should pick him one up, but I really really think he'd be super stoked on the Dangerboy (get a Tank (35mm) if he likes short, or if regular get the AK47 (47mm)).

good luck, somebody's fortunate to have a sweet fiance like you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Syncros doesn't make that stem anymore (i'm pretty sure of it) but I know where I can get one.

Man, I'm in love with the Thomson X4 Elite, Race Face Diabolus and the Dangerboy Tank....what's a girl to do? I want to get him something different than what's on my bike now that I see all the other options...plus he'll be so impressed that I got him a kick ass stem.

Ya Kyle's pretty pumped to have met someone like me. (i'm pretty stoked I met him) I never knew how awesome mountian biking was till I met him and he never thought he would meet a girl like me. It worked out well for us both.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to let ya know I ended up going with the Simtra SY'Stem 55mm and throwing in the Simtra McPudgy Handlebars. I got the White & Pewter Stem and White handlebars. I think it's going to look pretty sick on his bullit. Thanks for all the help.

Ride Hard!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.