Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little squeak or noise coming from the front of my new Rush 2000. Anyone have any idea of what it might be or a similar sound from their Lefty on the first ride?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Going to the shop with me this weekend for a look...but I was hoping for some forum feedback.
 

·
LA CHÈVRE
Joined
·
9,429 Posts
Squeak? Is it a continuous squeak or does it just happen when the Lefty is compressed? I would be surprised if the Lefty made a squeak when compressed (unless we have a different definition of squeak).

Maybe the front hub's mounting bolt needs some lube. Some people need to grease a rubber o-ring around the Lefty's hub mounting bolt. If it's not that, maybe the front brake is rubbing?
 

·
Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
Joined
·
645 Posts
There is a plastic bearing cover that sits under the brake rotor and over the bearing that is squeaking. It is not necessary so just take off the wheel and yank it out.

-Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Yes...it is more of a constant rubbing or noise.

Exactly what I was looking for I knew I would get some much needed help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,731 Posts
Have you had your wheel off ?
Possibly you don't have the rotor alighned properly and the noise
you hear is the rotor rubbing on the pads .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
879 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with my new Rush 800 and I thought at first that it was the actual brake pads on the front that were squeaking. There is a continuous squeak and there is also an occassional rub, rub, rub, noise. At least I know what it is now.
 

·
USED2COULD
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
TalonSL said:
I have exactly the same problem with my new Rush 800 and I thought at first that it was the actual brake pads on the front that were squeaking. There is a continuous squeak and there is also an occassional rub, rub, rub, noise. At least I know what it is now.
Yep, definetly the lefty mounting bolt o-ring. A little grease around the o-ring will cure this no problem. (I had the same problem when new too).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. Thanks for all the information.

So I should lose the cover and grease the o-ring. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
I'm having the same noise, and can certainly hear it coming from the hub.

Not to sound like an idiot, but are you guys saying that the 'plastic cap", #1 below, can be removed and that you should lube the o-ring #3 below?

In removing the cap, do you need a special tool?
 

Attachments

·
singletrail lover
Joined
·
42 Posts
hi bdpeter

- when the wheel is off, there is enough space between the parts to lube from the outside. no need to take the cap #1 off. if you do, note the remark on the drawing - it is reverse threaded! even the tool is indicated in the drawing.

- the other noise others have mentioned may come from #8, a thin plastic seal. here in our often muddy conditions, I would not take it off. after all, it's called a 'seal' and may keep some of the mud out of the bearing. put some grease underneath it to make sure it remains quiet.

happy quiet riding!
 

·
USED2COULD
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
bdpeter said:
I'm having the same noise, and can certainly hear it coming from the hub.

Not to sound like an idiot, but are you guys saying that the 'plastic cap", #1 below, can be removed and that you should lube the o-ring #3 below?

In removing the cap, do you need a special tool?
It is very easy.

1) Loosen the lefty bolt about 4 turns
2) Using your finger spread bicycle grease around the bolt head directely on to the o-ring.
3) Re-tighten bolt.
4) Wipe away excess grease.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
thanks guys, I'll try it tonight.

cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
well, I must be doing something wrong, because I can't get the lefty bolt to show it's head past the cap. I took the whole wheel off, but the lefty bolt just spins and spins and won't become 'un-flush' with the cap. I guess I'll need to take the cap off in order to lube it, but I don't have the special tool yet.

has anyone else w/a Lefty 140 Max been able to do this? is there something I'm just not doing right. I felt like a complete moron in the garage just now :madman:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,731 Posts
The bolt head will not rise above the cap/collar .
It stays flush as it is held in place under neath with a clip .
You need to spin it about (...c'mon memory ) 15 to 20 times
and then the wheel will come off .
Remember , the caliper has to be off first .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
ccaddy said:
The bolt head will not rise above the cap/collar .
It stays flush as it is held in place under neath with a clip .
You need to spin it about (...c'mon memory ) 15 to 20 times
and then the wheel will come off .
Remember , the caliper has to be off first .
Thanks, that makes sense ccaddy. I had not problem taking the wheel off once the caliper was loosened, but I still don't know what I'm supposed to lube to remove the squeak. :confused:
 

·
USED2COULD
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
bdpeter said:
Thanks, that makes sense ccaddy. I had not problem taking the wheel off once the caliper was loosened, but I still don't know what I'm supposed to lube to remove the squeak. :confused:
The bolt is held in loosly once you have undone it. Like I said, just fill around the bolt head with grease, and push it with your finger between the bolt head and the cap. The o-ring is right under there. This should work for you. If it doesn't your problem may not be the same as ~80% of us seem to have.

NS2000X
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top