Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little squeak or noise coming from the front of my new Rush 2000. Anyone have any idea of what it might be or a similar sound from their Lefty on the first ride?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Going to the shop with me this weekend for a look...but I was hoping for some forum feedback.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Squeak? Is it a continuous squeak or does it just happen when the Lefty is compressed? I would be surprised if the Lefty made a squeak when compressed (unless we have a different definition of squeak).

Maybe the front hub's mounting bolt needs some lube. Some people need to grease a rubber o-ring around the Lefty's hub mounting bolt. If it's not that, maybe the front brake is rubbing?

·
Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
645 Posts
There is a plastic bearing cover that sits under the brake rotor and over the bearing that is squeaking. It is not necessary so just take off the wheel and yank it out.

-Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Yes...it is more of a constant rubbing or noise.

Exactly what I was looking for I knew I would get some much needed help.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Have you had your wheel off ?
Possibly you don't have the rotor alighned properly and the noise
you hear is the rotor rubbing on the pads .

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with my new Rush 800 and I thought at first that it was the actual brake pads on the front that were squeaking. There is a continuous squeak and there is also an occassional rub, rub, rub, noise. At least I know what it is now.

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
TalonSL said:
I have exactly the same problem with my new Rush 800 and I thought at first that it was the actual brake pads on the front that were squeaking. There is a continuous squeak and there is also an occassional rub, rub, rub, noise. At least I know what it is now.
Yep, definetly the lefty mounting bolt o-ring. A little grease around the o-ring will cure this no problem. (I had the same problem when new too).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome. Thanks for all the information.

So I should lose the cover and grease the o-ring. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm having the same noise, and can certainly hear it coming from the hub.

Not to sound like an idiot, but are you guys saying that the 'plastic cap", #1 below, can be removed and that you should lube the o-ring #3 below?

In removing the cap, do you need a special tool?

Attachments

·
singletrail lover
42 Posts
hi bdpeter

- when the wheel is off, there is enough space between the parts to lube from the outside. no need to take the cap #1 off. if you do, note the remark on the drawing - it is reverse threaded! even the tool is indicated in the drawing.

- the other noise others have mentioned may come from #8, a thin plastic seal. here in our often muddy conditions, I would not take it off. after all, it's called a 'seal' and may keep some of the mud out of the bearing. put some grease underneath it to make sure it remains quiet.

happy quiet riding!

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
bdpeter said:
I'm having the same noise, and can certainly hear it coming from the hub.

Not to sound like an idiot, but are you guys saying that the 'plastic cap", #1 below, can be removed and that you should lube the o-ring #3 below?

In removing the cap, do you need a special tool?
It is very easy.

1) Loosen the lefty bolt about 4 turns
2) Using your finger spread bicycle grease around the bolt head directely on to the o-ring.
3) Re-tighten bolt.
4) Wipe away excess grease.

·
Registered
43 Posts
thanks guys, I'll try it tonight.

cheers!

·
Registered
43 Posts
well, I must be doing something wrong, because I can't get the lefty bolt to show it's head past the cap. I took the whole wheel off, but the lefty bolt just spins and spins and won't become 'un-flush' with the cap. I guess I'll need to take the cap off in order to lube it, but I don't have the special tool yet.

has anyone else w/a Lefty 140 Max been able to do this? is there something I'm just not doing right. I felt like a complete moron in the garage just now :madman:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
The bolt head will not rise above the cap/collar .
It stays flush as it is held in place under neath with a clip .
You need to spin it about (...c'mon memory ) 15 to 20 times
and then the wheel will come off .
Remember , the caliper has to be off first .

·
Registered
43 Posts
ccaddy said:
The bolt head will not rise above the cap/collar .
It stays flush as it is held in place under neath with a clip .
You need to spin it about (...c'mon memory ) 15 to 20 times
and then the wheel will come off .
Remember , the caliper has to be off first .
Thanks, that makes sense ccaddy. I had not problem taking the wheel off once the caliper was loosened, but I still don't know what I'm supposed to lube to remove the squeak. :confused:

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
bdpeter said:
Thanks, that makes sense ccaddy. I had not problem taking the wheel off once the caliper was loosened, but I still don't know what I'm supposed to lube to remove the squeak. :confused:
The bolt is held in loosly once you have undone it. Like I said, just fill around the bolt head with grease, and push it with your finger between the bolt head and the cap. The o-ring is right under there. This should work for you. If it doesn't your problem may not be the same as ~80% of us seem to have.

NS2000X

1 - 18 of 18 Posts