Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Living the thug life.
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Willow was featured in a cyclingnews.com article. Here is an excerpt:

Big wheels keep on turning

Koerber tried out a 29er bike for the first time mid-season. Now she says the only mountain bike she has is her 29er. "I don't have 26-inch wheels anymore."

Her conversion happened overnight. "I switched when we went to Vermont. The whole team had been talking 29ers all year. When I heard Heather [Irmiger] was on a medium, I thought maybe I could ride a small. It showed up in Vermont and I did one practice loop on the 29er and then raced it. I got second and felt good. The next week I won in Windham, New York. Then with my third place in Australia, I'm not going back!"

Koerber might have switched sooner, but noted that there are a lot of myths about small people and 29ers, though now she doesn't understand why. "It took no getting used to," said Koerber. "I think Heather said it feels like you're in the bike instead of on it. It's like an extra security blanket surrounding you. I have lot of confidence in it, and it's good to not be thinking out there. You don't want to be thinking while you're racing."

Koerber will be able to keep both her bike and her sponsor for 2010 as she has renewed her contract with Subaru / Gary Fisher.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
I was fortunate enough to hear all of that and Heather's testimony about 29"ers last September at the Fisher Bikes Press Camp.

Good stuff. Certainly makes one rethink the "conventional wisdom" regarding 29"ers.

The crazy part of Willow's story was that at Vermont, she was simply checking out the 29"er for the first time and was so taken by it she told the mechanic to set it up for the race. She then podiumed, raced it at the next event, podiumed, and then got third at World's.

Pretty amazing results.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.