Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for info on the Kern Canyon Trail. Anyone ridden it lately?

Whats the best way to do this, starting at the "freeway ridge" 4x4 trail head or at the Delonaga Bridge (where 178 crosses the river)?

kerncanyon1.jpg

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Keyesville classic was last weekend, trails were reportedly in great shape. The Calssic runs on the upper section of Kern Canyon trail.

Don't overlook keyesville, there's great riding there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
There's also free camping with pit toilets. One area in Keyesville at the site itself and the other in Hogeye Gulch on the kern. The Hogeye Gulch sites are nicer being right on the river but more crowded, especially around spring break.

·
Crop Dusting Magistrate
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks OCD!

It's just a quick trip and I'll not be camping on this outing. Staying at the Kern Lodge...next to Kern River Brewing Co.

·
Registered
613 Posts
link here to the keyesville XC loop. If you ride the full kern canyon trail, be sure you ride the upper portion of this XC loop. If you zoom in on the map you can see where the KCT continues down, where the XC loop circles back. it's only an 8-ish mile loop and both halves are fun... but the front half is much more fun, in my opinion... except for a bermed S turn or two on the back half.

And I'm officially itching to go back there now.

Geoladders -- 20th Annual Keyesville Classic Sport Course

There's the snake pit DH run too... actually there's a lot of trails in the area. I've yet to explore them all but a very underrated area as most go straight to the plunge and J.O. without exploring more.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Great riding area, one of my fav's....trail are all good to hammer on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I live in Bakersfield and heard that JO is in great shape. When you head up, please let me know, cause I wanna go too!
I called MRA and they said that there might be snow up top but that it's melting pretty quickly. I plan on riding Friday morning so I'm glad to hear its in good shape.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts