Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at Stans Archs with thier 3.30 hubs or the Easton EA 90's XC or American Classic Mountain 29r with thier in house hubs. Its going on a 2011 Stumpy Comp Carbon 29r.

Feelings?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You sound like a candidate for buying a new 2012 pre built bike with the new wheelset that come with it. Put that 2011 in the Recycle bin.
LOL I have been thinking about it. I love the bike, hate the wheels or thought of the wheel waffling on me. So many horror stories.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have the Easton's and like them. Appreciate the UST rims and no need to deal with tape, rim strips, etc. But, they are a bit heavier than some less expensive options, and spokes and nipples are a bit more difficult to find replacements for (not terrible though). If you aren't too heavy the Stan's Crest wheelset is a good buy. Can be found for $450 or less.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Easton's and like them. Appreciate the UST rims and no need to deal with tape, rim strips, etc. But, they are a bit heavier than some less expensive options, and spokes and nipples are a bit more difficult to find replacements for (not terrible though). If you aren't too heavy the Stan's Crest wheelset is a good buy. Can be found for $450 or less.
Say I hate tubless, can i run a tube in the Stans rims?

·
Registered
837 Posts
there is no hating of tubeless.

i got a sidewall puncture a few weeks ago and lost most of the air in my tire. took off the front wheel, added air, shook the stan's in the wheel to seal the hole, and BAM, I was good to go. so much nicer than having to deal with a tube. (I do carry a spare tube on longer rides, just in case something more catastrophic happens.)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got the wheels but the 3.30 QR wont mount up with the Reba fork. I call Universal cycles who told me they would work and they are taking them back. There two issues, the fork it seems were made for the DT swiss hubs. This is the part I don't get. I thought a 9mm QR was the same with all brands. Stans says the hub wont work unless I mill the hubs or wait till they come out with adapters, next month sometime. My question is how are you guys running stans hubs on you stumpjumpers? Can I use an American Classic wheel and hub or am I going to have the same issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow, I had never heard of that problem. My 2010 SJ came with the DT swiss RWS in front and I had no problems moving to a standard quick release in a Mavic hub (or any other brand for that matter). Let us know when you figure out what's different.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the problem is with the stock RWS 9mm. I guess not all 9mm's are created equal. How did my fellow stump jumper owners put different hubs on?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.