Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these three bikes climbs the most efficiently while STANDING?

superfly 100
tallboy spx xc (xt build)
jet 9 (xt build)

I'm VERY race oriented so I'm not looking for the most plush bike out there. I'm looking for something a little more comfortable than my current bikes (salsa dos niner, selma and el mariachi) but still very efficient. In race situations I like to attack while standing on hills so standing climbing is of utmost importance.

I know that there are other options out there but these are the three that I've narrowed it down to so, please, no other options! :)

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Of the 3 I would have to say the JET9. The CVA Suspension is phenomenal with little to no bob while hammering out of the saddle on climbs. Even with the Pro-Pedal off it excels. I am 6'5" 205lbs and can throw down some respectable power especially out of the saddle and I absolutely LOVE my Jet for XC-haul-ass-racing. If I want to get hardcore I break out my Milk Dud ANO RIP9!

I like the Tall Boy but definitely view that as more of an all day comfort/closer to AM/Trail Bike than an XC Race Machine. I will also go on record stating that I am not the hugest fan of GF bikes.

My Thoughts,

PF

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
Ok the forum just failed out on me...so short verson:

I own a Tallboy, I built a Jet9 for a friend up in DC. Regarding the "climbing" directly. They are about the same. The Jet9 rides light, but not near as light or nimble as the Tallboy.

The only noticable difference in the suspension VPP vs CVA was high speed tracking. The Jet9 seemed to jump and skip which led to loss of traction in high speed sections with roots and bumps and such. The CVA just felt a little slow in this aspect compared to the VPP. I tried adjusting shock pressure and rebound, but I couldn't match the trackability characteristic of the Tallboy. If I wouldn't have got such a great deal on my Tallboy frame, I would have bought a Jet 9. I love the Kermit green, but I love the way the Tallboy rides.

I have no experience with the SF100, from my understanding the durability has been vastly improved with the new model. It is a single-pivot, and it is hit or miss with thoughs, some climb good, some climb horrible.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts