Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
~RR~ Little Camas Creek Epic 6-12-08

I rode Zilly's Little Camas Creek Epic on Wednesday the 12th, first day on a 3 day little road trip I took. Zilly gives it 5 Wheels. It worked out to 33 miles and 6800' total climbing, 7 1/2 hours (5 moving). I made one change, starting up Red Devil trail instead of the road through the "dump site". I'd been looking at this for years, never figured out where the connector trail north of Little Camas Creek was before. I finally really looked at it and figured it out. I made a track for my GPS so I didn't have to get the map out on every doubletrack intersection. Still made a wrong turn or 2, but it worked well.

Red Devil is about 5 miles, then 1 1/4 mile to the Little Camas connector trail. From there it's another 9 doubletrack miles to the actual trail. I'd always heard that lower Tronsen Ridge is brushy, but it's not. I've been on worse, this wasn't brushy at all. There are a few pushes up the ridge from there. The ridge singletrack is only 4 1/2 miles or so till you hit the intersection with Red Hill. It's 24 miles from the Devils Gulch trail head and over 6000' of climbing to that point. There's still climbing on Red Hill and Red Hill Spur to make up the other 800' and 8-9 miles.

The GPS track I recorded.

In 3D.

Some views along the way:

First view in the Little Camas Creek drainage

The start of the actual Tronsen Ridge singletrack. To the left of the small snag, not the animal track straight ahead.

View up the singletrack.

Snow up on the ridge, 3700' or so.

A view out on the ridge.

Looking ahead on Red Hill Spur trail, you'll be there in less than a minute.

Looking ahead again, about a minute to get there.

I resized the pics too small, do better next time.

Monte

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Hmmm. I've always wondered about that. This would be the best time to do it too. Didn't you and Gearz do a version of this and post it a couple years ago abuout this time? red Hill and Red Devil are great little trails that are always overlooked because of DG/MR next door but I have always heard that Tronson was pretty sketchy as far as signage and spurs everywhere. (Don't want to get lost back out there.)
Looked great!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
My guess beyond Red Hill/Red Devil is, not much. Depending on how dry it is and how much the motos chow it up. Red Hill/Red Devil loop is pretty smooth though except the top of the spur coming down is a little rocky. Otherwise smooth and fast!

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Borneo said:
Hmmm. I've always wondered about that. This would be the best time to do it too. Didn't you and Gearz do a version of this and post it a couple years ago abuout this time? red Hill and Red Devil are great little trails that are always overlooked because of DG/MR next door but I have always heard that Tronson was pretty sketchy as far as signage and spurs everywhere. (Don't want to get lost back out there.)
Looked great!
Don't think we've done it. Gearz has, but first time for me.

You'd be pressed to get lost on Tronsen Ridge, it's a moto trail. On a ridge. If you're worried, bring your GPS. :eekster:

Monte

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.