Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made the jump to the 29er revolution. Was thrilled to be able to find this 29er Unicoi frame after riding the same frame as a SS 26er for years. It's all Ti, including the stem and seatpost. The 1x9 setup is all that I find I need and the Stan's ZTR are a good cost/performance setup. After spinning with the Chris King BB, I'm really leaning towards a Chris King race wheel setup and more anodized bling.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Very nice. Is Litespeed offering this model in their line up, or is this one of the small batch they made? How does it ride?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All I know it it's not on their website and the first photo I saw of it was from Interbike in Europe. Then all of a sudden there were a couple of them available on Ebay only in ML size, so I jumped on it. The frame came in an unopened Litespeed bike from the factory with the build tag for the frame on it. WOW! I'm 5 ft 10 and it's perfect with a laidback post and 110 stem. The bike build is 24 lbs and is more stable, no side by side frame flex, then the 26 version I rode for years. I noticed that in a stationary position, the bottom bracket sat as low or lower then my Sugar Race when sagged. Steering is not as twitchy either. So far so good !!

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Nice bike Paul -

I've been loving my YBB. Soft-tails are a cool design.

That bike is a huge upgrade from the Fisher, but you sure did get your money out of that thing. How many years did you race it? That Litespeed will last you a lifetime Id bet.

LP

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got an original Sugar in 04 and bought the GF Sugar Race (red/yellow frame w/ 3.5 rear travel and carbon swing arm) as a demo frame from a shop in Canada two yrs later. Plan to sell complete build soon. Has newer model Sid and Mavic SL's. Still a nice ride but need to move on. Was kept for 12 and 24 hr races but found myself to be faster on my SS. Had a 26 wheeled Litespeed Unicoi disc converted to SS that I rode the last 2.5 yrs but just sold it a few months ago. Liquidating, time to move on. Hoping this new 29er will fill both voids. Probably a second race specific wheelset to compensate with this summer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That's a really sweet bike, but um...what's the deal with the gigantic and overkill graphics? The letters are so big that they can't fully be viewed from any angle. What happened to the slicker yellow text? Or the italic LITESPEED that bent forward just so? Are those letters removable?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Beautiful bike. Litespeeds seem to have gone away for a while, but from the looks of that one, it's time for a rousing comeback!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanoz said:
That's a really sweet bike, but um...what's the deal with the gigantic and overkill graphics? The letters are so big that they can't fully be viewed from any angle. What happened to the slicker yellow text? Or the italic LITESPEED that bent forward just so? Are those letters removable?
I have to agree with you on the graphics, but it is what it is. They are typical Litespeed stickers and can be removed. The real sad part of it to me is the head tube sticker instead of the traditional Litespeed Coat of Arms badge. I guess Litespeed is wanting to save some weight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I could also get one of those prototypes.

According to another post here, the frame should be launched as Litespeed SEWEE and not as UNICOI. The bike rides amazing and is ideal for long marathon races.
The YBB rear suspension gives extra comfort. Actual weight is 10 kg.

I really like to see that Litespeed launches that fantastic frame soon.

·
Registered
381 Posts
While we're posting photos...

2008 Litespeed Obed 29er - this was my ride about a year ago. Didn't stay on it too long, as it was slightly too small for me. Rode very nicely though, the oversize tubing used certainly stiffened it up. Also made it tricky to run the cranks I wanted, cos the chainstays were so chubby. Yes, the stickers are easily removed - I spent a bit of time with some scotch pads bringing this frame from the satin finish to the brushed finish, and it was a lot easier to keep clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
That frame is beautiful but reports form Lightspeed are that they have sold the factory and are going into the Chinese carbon fiber frame business (just supply the decals).

Better to go look at Lynsky; they now own the factory!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sweeney said:
That frame is beautiful but reports form Lightspeed are that they have sold the factory and are going into the Chinese carbon fiber frame business (just supply the decals).

Better to go look at Lynsky; they now own the factory!
The brand LITESPEED belongs to the American Bicycle Group.
ABG has not sold the factory - just the building to Lynskey.

More information can be found here at competitor triathlon.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts