Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to build one from scratch and was looking for opinions. Currently I have a Kona Dawg custom and was thinking of adding a second bike to the stable. I'm not keen on carbon frames as I would like some warning if the thing is about to fail; Anything else goes...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Marin Attack Trail in green with a Fox Talas 150mm 15mm through axle fork.
- Reset headset
- Hayes Stroker Gram brakes 6/7in rotor combo
- Race Face Next SL seat post and Deus SL stem
- Charge Spoon Ti saddle in brown
- Shimano XTR derailleur, shifter, 180mm SS cranks, Hope ceramic BB, XTR cassette and chain (1x9setup)
- Kona Wah Wah flat pedals
- Hutchinson Toro 2.15/2.35 tires
- Easton carbon low rise 685mm bars
- Bontrager X Lite foam grips
- Nuke Proof Generator hubs and Mavic rims

That’s more of a dream build than a realistic one but the Giant Reign, Marin Attack Trail and Trek Remedy would be the bikes I’d choose from.:thumbsup:

·
1,113 Posts
Knolly Delerium T!!

Adjustable head angles, excellent build quality, super stiff, the ride is what really does it.

This guy can explain better than I can.

MTB-Freeride TV - Folge 13 - Eurobike 2008 Special: Knolly Bikes from MTB-freeride.tv on Vimeo.

Here is a few nice builds. I really like the RED one.

Frame: Small Delerium-T Frame with DHX 5 Air shock
Fork: Fox Talus 36 RC2 1 1/8"
Drivetrain: SRAM X9 cassette, shifters, rear derailleur. XT cranks and front derailleur, E13 DRS chainguide and bashguard 104 32
Pedals: Time ATAC Alium Black pedals
Brakes: Magura Louise BAT with Marta SL rotors (180 and 160)
Wheels: Chris King ISO Hubs, Mavic XM 819 Disc Rims, DT Swiss 2.0/1.8 spokes
Tires: Michelin Mountain Extreme 26x2.5, 2.35 rear (both UST with No Tubes fluid)
Handlebars: Raceface Diabolous 28", 1.5" rise
Stem: Raceface Evolve DH 85 10
Headset: Cane Creek Double XC flush
Seatpost: Raceface Evolve DH
Saddle: WTB Power V DH

Small DT frame with DHX 5 Air shock
Totem 1.5 Solo Air forks
Crossmax SX wheels
Maxxis 2.5 UST tires (Minion & High Roller)
Half cup of Stans in each tire
Chromag bars, saddle, seatpost QR
Thomson X4 45mm stem
FSA Pig 1.5 headset
Raceface Atlas post
XT front and rear mechs & shifters
Hone crankset & E13 bash guard
Hope M4 rear brake
AVID Juicy 7 front brake
Easton Flatboy pedals

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hell Yea!!!

The Knolly Delirium T is ridiculous!!! I just got one a few weeks ago, and it's absolutely amazing. BUT... you need to be a very aggressive, very technical rider, who doesn't mind a heavier bike, and hits the rough stuff, to get the full potential from it... But the little bit of extra weight is the only downside, everything else about this bike is stellar. It handles much better than anything else i've ever ridden. Balance is awesome. The suspension is amazing. And if you are willing to spend the bucks, you can get the weight into the mid 30's.

·
Perpetual Hack
2,193 Posts
Another vote for the Knolly Delirium T.
My large comes in at 38lbs.

michael

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love my intense Tracer vp,w/fox talas 150mm 15mm axle.
Noir cranks ceramic bb.
eq 31 sun/ringle wheels.
Sram xo Thomson post stem.
Sunline v-2 bars v-1 pedals.
This bike is light,snappy and fast.
mike miller owner of Gravity Shop Lake Tahoe

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
R12 said:
I'm planning to build one from scratch and was looking for opinions. Currently I have a Kona Dawg custom and was thinking of adding a second bike to the stable. I'm not keen on carbon frames as I would like some warning if the thing is about to fail; Anything else goes...

Thanks in advance.
What's a Dawg "custom"?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
What's a Dawg "custom"?
Basicaly a custom build on Dawg frame, i.e. to my knowledge this model comes in 4 versions (identical frames but differing component levels): Dawg, Dawg-Deluxe, Dawg-Primo and Dawg-Supreme. My frame is stamped "Dawg-Primo" but that's where the OE contribution ends as all components in my bike differ from the standard OE spec build. My components are more in-line to what you'd see on a standard Dawg-Supreme build but still with minor differences, for exmple disc sizes, wheels, etc. To be specific, mine are:

Fork Fox Float X Trailtune 130mm
Suspension Fox Float RL 100mm
F/R Derralieur Shimano XT
Shifters Shimano XT
Brakes Shimano XT (203mm/160mm)
Brake Pads Shimano XT/XTR
Crankset Shimano XT
Cassette Shimano XT
Chain Shimano XT/XTR
Wheels Mavic 717 DISC
Hubs Shimano XT
Tires Maxxis Advantage (F/R)
Seat Trek
Handlebar Ritchey
Grips Ergon R1M
Stem Ritchey

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
When you say "custom", that means the frame was custom designed and built for you, not the components. People used to say that in 2001, still incorrect, but whatever. There is a huge number of people with a personal parts selection, so trying to set apart a frame by calling it "custom" would make it a bit strange to understand.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
When you say "custom", that means the frame was custom designed and built for you, not the components. People used to say that in 2001, still incorrect, but whatever. There is a huge number of people with a personal parts selection, so trying to set apart a frame by calling it "custom" would make it a bit strange to understand.
so what about those tools in the turner forum who frankenbike their Turners...that is the not frame builder making it "custom" for them but it is in fact not a stock frame at all???? are they in effect "custom" builders themselves?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
If that is the case, then I have a Dawg-Primo...:thumbsup:

I was trying to differentiate Kona's OE build for the particular frame. May be semantics at the end of the day.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Specialized Pitch Pro. Decsends, tracks, and stops great. Climbs very well for a 31 pound bike. You can also get the 2008 version for a little over $2000 now at local shops. Great bike for the money.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.