Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
IPA tester
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering where MTB eBikes can be legally ridden in So Cal so I'm asking you to post up trails that you know ARE legal.

*This thread is not intended to flame hate against eBikes
**If you don't like em, move to another post
*** Just post the trails where they can be ridden please
Thanks

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 🚲
13,317 Posts
If you plan to participate in this thread and post that a specific trail IS or IS NOT legal for eBikes, please include a link to the Trail Managers Website that backs up what you are saying. Anyone who posts trash arguments like "california made them legal everywhere" etc will get deleted. Back up your claims with facts, not speculative arguments about the meaning of codes. In California each land managing agency has the right to allow or deny bikes on natural surface trails, if they have not made a stance one way or the other please do not make assumptions for them.

·
IPA tester
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you plan to participate in this thread and post that a specific trail IS or IS NOT legal for eBikes, please include a link to the Trail Managers Website that backs up what you are saying. Anyone who posts trash arguments like "california made them legal everywhere" etc will get deleted. Back up your claims with facts, not speculative arguments about the meaning of codes. In California each land managing agency has the right to allow or deny bikes on natural surface trails, if they have not made a stance one way or the other please do not make assumptions for them.
Thanks for adding that. My neighbor purchased one and he's one to say they're legal anywhere in Calif but I know that's not correct, hence the thread posting

·
GONE
27,404 Posts
I know of two places in Los Angeles County where it is clearly posted that they are not legal. I realize that this doesn't fall into the zone that the OP is asking about but it does prove that it is not legal to ride them anywhere you want to in Cali.

·
IPA tester
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know of two places in Los Angeles County where it is clearly posted that they are not legal. I realize that this doesn't fall into the zone that the OP is asking about but it does prove that it is not legal to ride them anywhere you want to in Cali.
Yep, I would guess that the not legal list will end up to be a bit longer

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,938 Posts
the San Diego City attorney has ruled all mountain bikes, class one, and class two ebike mountain bikes fall under the same category. Therefore, on San Diego city property where the mountain bike is legal to ride, the class 1 or class 2 ebike lcan be used unless it is expressly signed as prohibited.

This is NOT the same for SD County property. Currently they are prohibited.

·
IPA tester
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the San Diego City attorney has ruled all mountain bikes, class one, and class two ebike mountain bikes fall under the same category. Therefore, on San Diego city property where the mountain bike is legal to ride, the class 1 or class 2 ebike lcan be used unless it is expressly signed as prohibited.

So would Black Mt and Penasquitos be legal to ride them?

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts

Link?

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,938 Posts
https://www.sdmba.com/electric_mountain_bike_informa.php

PQ rangers have an eBike they use on occasion to patrol. It is a patchwork of mostly city land but there is some county on these East end.

Both the senior rangers in Black Mountain and PQ are open to their use. If you head north of Lake Hodges, that is managed by the Joint Powers Association (JPA) which is a mix of city, county, and state so eBikes are a no-no there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.