Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Trail Ninja
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 4" FS bike category is typically filled with XC race bikes and lightweight trail bikes, but I'm looking for those compact 4" travel FS bikes that feel stout enough to feel at home pointed down the same trails that people take heavier AM bikes down.

Kona Process 111 and the Spec Camber EVO are stretching the 4" barrier a bit. I recall some saying the Mach 429 has the stiffness to give confidence on the rowdy stuff, especially with a burly spec. Anything along these lines that fits? Ripley won't count since it's 120mm+ and more towards the XC spectrum among 120mm... if the Following were 4", then it'd count.

Yeti ASRc? JET9 RDO? Anything that outdoes these in the aggressive, confidently point down, even take to the bike park double black diamond end of the spectrum? Any 650b options?

·
Registered
285 Posts
List of 4" FS aggressive "rippers"?

I have an older giant anthem advanced with a 120mm fork on it, it's a very capable bike. Does everything from smooth XC and I've brought it to the bike park once, but that was when I was still newish to biking. I'm sure it would work great for that now after I've improved my riding significantly

Edit: I'm actually pretty sure it won trail bike of the year in 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
758 Posts
Transition Smuggler.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Cactus Cuddler
1,818 Posts
Banshee Phantom, Transition Smuggler, Kona Process 111 are the ones I'm aware of. I'm sure silly things could be done with a Rocky Mountain Element RSL after adding a 120mm Pike, same could be said for the ASRc and RIP9RDO.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,823 Posts
Yeti ASRC is more of a light trail bike I believe. It's got some slack in it but I'd be worried about the durability for AM jumping /drops. Definitely 'no' on park double blacks for anything more than once or twice.

Check out Pivot M4x. It seems to fit your description.

·
Trail Ninja
6,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah, yes. I forgot about bikes like that. Something designed as tough as a FR bike, but as a compact 4" bike.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
The ASRC is basically a race bike. Have you seen those seat stays? I wouldn't be taking air on that bike on a regular basis.

You're after 29" wheels I imagine?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had a chance to throw a leg over a Transition Scout. Wow, this bike is PLAYFUL!!
I'm looking for the same kind of rig as the OP and I'm so torn between the smuggler and scout. My local trails are pretty much xc but they are very tech and have some sweet downs as well. I just want to have something fun that can climb, blast downs, and not be over-biked.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,327 Posts
Evil The Following.

I am thinking about grabbing one myself. A Murder Black one with an X01 build kit please...

YouTube 2015 Bike Bible for their quick take (for what it's worth).

EDIT: trading emails with Evil right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts