Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spot longboard and Salsa Juan Solo are both usable options, but which other frame or manufacturer has the ability to slide in a belt? Also, who is planning to come out with a belt drive 29er frame? I know the Juan Solo is not a 29er. meh.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
It is a very short list:

SPOT

BTW, the Juan Solo is no longer listed on the Salsa site, so I am assuming it is no longer in production. I could not find a good picture of the seatstay connection method on the new Selma, but that may work. But still need to work out if the chainstay length will work.

Mark

·
Administrator
582 Posts
Not that short.

bikeny said:
It is a very short list:

SPOT

BTW, the Juan Solo is no longer listed on the Salsa site, so I am assuming it is no longer in production. I could not find a good picture of the seatstay connection method on the new Selma, but that may work. But still need to work out if the chainstay length will work.

Mark
Not that short really if you want to go custom, any frame builder can order the 'keyed' trackends from Quality Bicycle Products. If you are handy with a torch you could braze them to an existing frame.

Also, Salsa frames, or any other frame, with carbon seatstays bolted to the chainstays ARE NOT COMPATIBLE - that junction is not meant to be loosened once assembled.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joshua Pattersnap said:
Not that short really if you want to go custom, any frame builder can order the 'keyed' trackends from Quality Bicycle Products. If you are handy with a torch you could braze them to an existing frame.
It was my understanding that once a frame is chopped and rewelded that it would have to be furnaced again. No?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
RogerDoger said:
It was my understanding that once a frame is chopped and rewelded that it would have to be furnaced again. No?
he is talking about the SPOT dropout, if you get it brazed you might not have to re heat treat but if you tig it than I'm sure you would.

the only thing with retrofit is the chainstays have to be a certain length because of the small selection of belt lengths

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
RogerDoger said:
Depends on the material. Alloy frames are heat treated, steel and Ti frames are not.

Even if you can get a split dropout on the frame, you're going to run into clearance issues. You cannot use the same tooth counts as a chain drive system. A larger chainring is used. They're wider too. More chainring clearance is required. Spot just puts really long stays, more like 18.5" than the 17.5" previously mentioned. Without good design, you cannot have enough chainring clearance, tire clearance, and short stays. Spot just opted to use much longer stays to achieve their goals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.