Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1439 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
One has to keep bb height within reason but I can't say that there is a correct bottom bracket height for mtb's. Not every rider likes 29" wheels or single speeding or full sus or 27 gears or carbon hardtails with 80mm of travel. The same goes for bottom bracket heights. Some riders, depending on one's riding style and the terrain their riding on might like and 11.5" bottom bracket height whilst his riding buddy might be better suited to have a 13.5" bottom bracket height. Use your best judgement. I think it's also silly to say that a bike is going to be impossible to ride after slackening the headtube angle and raising the bottom bracket height of a bike(exactly what happens when you put a 650b tire up front). Isn't that what adjustable travel forks do to a bike too(yes)? It can't be any worse to tuck 650b's into a bike that it is to tuck a fork that's adjustable from 85-115mm of travel or 100-130mm.

·
US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
2,033 Posts
madnessmoose said:
One has to keep bb height within reason but I can't say that there is a correct bottom bracket height for mtb's. Not every rider likes 29" wheels or single speeding or full sus or 27 gears or carbon hardtails with 80mm of travel. The same goes for bottom bracket heights. Some riders, depending on one's riding style and the terrain their riding on might like and 11.5" bottom bracket height whilst his riding buddy might be better suited to have a 13.5" bottom bracket height........It can't be any worse to tuck 650b's into a bike that it is to tuck a fork that's adjustable from 85-115mm of travel or 100-130mm.
good points.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kirk Pacenti said:
CHT,

You guys want to sponsor a 650B demo wheel program? :thumbsup:
Kirk:
I'm stepping in here a little late... or "latte"... as we say in the PNW. But I would be interested in participating in a 650b demo program... I am also willing to participate in the cost of the wheels that I would use... or just pay for them... I don't know exactly what you are looking for here.

I am looking to build a 650b bike or a 69er style with a 650b up front. I currently ride a Kula 2-9... and have liked it so well that I have sold all of my other current mtb's (3). I am very interested in putting together a 650b hardtail bike ... using a new frame hopefully a 26er frame ... in a monster cross fashion to start with... I like the midge bars and currently use them on my tandem and my cyclocross bike - so I have ridden them offroad and know for certain that they are superior to road drop bars offroad - I also find that being a bit shorter than Shiggy - me at 5'7" - I don't seem to need the same amount of rise to make them work for me in a normal and comfortable position assuming I size the frame right -- one other issue not addressed by Shiggy on his site - which is not insignificant for those of us somewhat aging bikers, is that the midge style offroad drop bar has a natural hand/wrist angle, at every position, that does not exist on either a normal riser, flat or road drop bar - ergo no more sore wrists and hands from the pounding they take particularly offroad and on longer rides(tandem) where hand and wrist relief is harder to find.

My goddness!! I didn't mean to write a book... I just wanted to let you know that I would be very happy to give you some input and very pleased to participate in any format with a 650b wheel demo experiment. I have about 25 years of riding experience on everything from a fully rigid race bike to a 7" dually... and am a pretty damn good XC rider and home mechanic -- Lemeno....

You can pm me and I will email you ... if you desire.

Regards... Dave

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Cracked Headtube said:
Shiggy, don't you use 185mm cranks?
Yes, and my preferred BB height is 13". Basically a 12.6" BB if using 175mm cranks. Most production frames are 12" or under.

But there is more to the high BB than compensating for the crank length. I like how the bike rides with the pedals level (where crank length has little affect).

·
Registered
364 Posts
my rear wheel got finished today and we tried it on a few different bikes in the shop to see if they fit.

sliding drop out chameleon - with the wheel as far back as possible, it was very tight at the front of the chainstays. Might be better with the smaller xc tires coming along, but not ridable with a neo in my opinion.

07 sc superlight hit seatstay bracket, which is removeable, but very tight up front. any wheel flex and it would rub the chainstays.

08 stumpjumper/rockhopper/epic ht no way, hit everywhere...

08 spec fsr wheel fit tight but looked like it would work. Once the front wheel is done, we are going to put the wheelset on it and give it a shot. would be better with a 1.9/2.0 tire that it was spec'd with.

when i get some more time later this week i am going to take my camera down and take some pics and try more bikes. Guess my carbon stumpy wouldn't have worked anyway. Now i have to wait for Sycip to finish my Diesel...

·
nothing relevant to say
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The Heckler has been on everyone's Want List for the 650B conversion. Kirk Pacenti ( maker of the Neo-Moto) looked into this, but there is currently no shock READILY available in the proper stroke/e2e length. I guess a RS rear shock has the potential to be adjusted to suite the needs of a Heckler-B, but it hasn't been done yet. NO ONE KNOWS.
What shock do you have on your bike, now?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don't have the '05 Heckler, I just figured that they cost less than the newest version, and that could be a cost effective (cheaper) way to go, providing the tire fits, etc.
Perhaps there are some past Heckler variants which have rear shock/travel specs that will work with the NeoMoto?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'll be getting the new Heckler in a few weeks. After discussions with Kirk, I'm definitely putting the 650B/NeoMoto/Fox Talas 32 on the front. As posted above, the trick is the rear, I first want to try a lower profile tire (if I can find something available) on a 650B rim and then as a last resort, rear shock modifiactions.

I'll post pics and let everyone know how it goes.

·
MaineMud
121 Posts
Our Carver 96er, both the Aluminum and the Ti fit a 650 B rear wheel well. With the eccentric BB we've been able to fine tube the BB height as well. We've also had great luck using the X Fusion Velvet R fork, because it accepts 650B wheels (legally, too!) and is travel adjustable fron 80 to 130 mm. The adjustment of the fork let's us set it up with all of the following configurations, with virtually the same BB height and head angles.......

1. 96er

Nothing new there, I guess. EBB set high or low. 26" rear, 29" front with an 80 mm Reba 29. Still my favorite.

2. Bumble Bee

650B rear with the EBB set up at the lower position, 29er front with a Reba 29 100 mm or Fox F99. Pretty cool. A little bit heavier and slower than the 96er, but killer traction with the NeoMotos and really comfy.

3. Killer Bee

650B rear, the EBB in the lower position. 650B front with an X Fusion Velvet set at 120 mm. We've also run a Reba 29 at 100 mm, That works well if you like a quicker front end...about a 71.5 degree head angle.

4. HoneyBee

26" rear with the EBB set high or low, 650B front wheel with an Reba 29 set a 100 mm or an X Fusion Velvet set at 110mm. Also a great option for a shorter rider, as the smaller (than a 29er) front wheel helps with top tube and toe overlap issues.

4 different bikes with one frame, two forks, and 4 wheels. A little confusing until you noodle it out..

I'll post some pictures if I get a chance....

Best,

Davis Carver
www.carverbikes.com

·
www.lugoftheirish.com
113 Posts
Just got my Sun Charger 650b wheels today. Tried to fit them with Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3 into a 2007 Trek Fuel EX9.0

Nope.

The Ventana 650b rear assembly should be here mid March so it looks like I'll be building a 5" 650b very soon.

·
Sail On!
248 Posts
2008 Superlight Action

Hi All,
I wentt down to a local bike store that stocks new superlights to see if the rear wheel would fit. It did but with a 2.35" Neo-Moto the chainstays cleared on the sides by only 1/4-3/8" with my calibrated eyeball. Took some pics and if you take a look at the O-ring on the shock you can see right where the Neo-Moto hits the front derailleur cable guide on the seat tube when the suspension is compressed. The second pic shows it hitting. This setup could work if there was maybe a 2.0 650B tire coupled with some way to limit the travel so it would not hit the cable guide. All I can say is bummer for now!

Attachments

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
I have a barely used 2004 Specialized Enduro Comp with a Fox Float RLC on it...would 650b be a viable option...It is a great bike and would renew my enthusiasm for riding it

·
Registered
9,598 Posts
EDDIE JONES said:
I have a barely used 2004 Specialized Enduro Comp with a Fox Float RLC on it...would 650b be a viable option...It is a great bike and would renew my enthusiasm for riding it
I have a couple of friends with Enduros from this era - and I have a 650b rear wheel - let me see what I can find out.

If it doesn't fit - that frame is still a great candidate for a FS 69er set up.

See here for an example!

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
MMcG said:
I have a couple of friends with Enduros from this era - and I have a 650b rear wheel - let me see what I can find out.

If it doesn't fit - that frame is still a great candidate for a FS 69er set up.

See here for an example!

That thing looks sweet...How did the 29er front affect geometry and what did you do to compensate?

41 - 60 of 1439 Posts