Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
481 - 500 of 1439 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
What do you guys think about turning a 1998 Kona Cinder Cone in b26'er or whatever you call it? I'm going singlespeed (Paul Comp. horizontal drops will be welded on in a week or so), and then I'm thinking 650b up front with Surly Instigator fork (already have that) and 26in in the rear. Tell me what you think about dat!

·
master blaster
1,149 Posts
cross post https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=662052
veloreality said:
threw my 650b's on there to check the clearence before he buys some wheels.

his manitu minute 2.00 fork has tight clearance with a 2.3 neo moto but i dont think he didnt plan on running a tire that large anyways.

killer clearance on the rear with a 2.00 quasi moto and the sliders pretty much slammed.

who thinks the white wheels looks badass on this beast? i think some purple i9 to white blunts would suite it well :thumbsup:

·
Registered
454 Posts
There was some discussion of Mojo HD compatibility with 650b. I'm a bit skeptical. I had a regular QR hub instead of a 12mm, so it wasn't possible to truly test the fit, but the fit didn't look any better than the regular Mojo in my opinion.

Edit 12/28: Just took delivery. Since the rear QR hub won't fit from my current wheelset, I held my front wheel in the swingarm with the thru-axle roughly aligned. It's close, but even with a NeoMoto 2.3 the fit looks feasible enough to justify building up a wheel and giving it a shot. Also, I did find a post by Derby elsewhere claiming that the Neo 2.3 fits fine on the HD. It may be awhile before I have time to build up a wheel, but if it fits I'll follow up with pictures.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Since I was unable to get another set of Quasi-Moto's I went for the Kenda Nevegal 2.1. Fits the Scott Spark30 the same. I'm glad it works because I really didn't want to go back to 26". No pics yet because my new camera is on order but I will update with pics soon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mofoki said:
Since I was unable to get another set of Quasi-Moto's I went for the Kenda Nevegal 2.1. Fits the Scott Spark30 the same. I'm glad it works because I really didn't want to go back to 26". No pics yet because my new camera is on order but I will update with pics soon.
Quasi-moto's are not available?

·
Registered
149 Posts
what do you guys think about the possibility of a 98 Kona Cinder Cone going full 650b? I'll have no prob going 650b fore, but what about going 650b aft with the use of Paul Comp horizontal drops? (I'm converting it to singlespeed)

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,933 Posts
Oh I measured one of the newer rocky mountain frames last week, a 16.5" 2009 Vapour, which is very entry level model and the Neo 2.35 fits fine..

·
Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
2,419 Posts
i dont have any pics yet, but i picked up a trek fuel 9.9 frame, and my 650b nevegal 2.1's clear with maybe a little more than 1/8" of room. The tires are pretty damn new.
Also, i have a 2005ish manitou minute 2:00 and a Manitou R7, both 100mm, and they both clear as well. I did hear the front tire rub on the r7 on an extremely hard hit, one where i thought i was dead anyways. It did not stop the wheel at all. Neither fork has ever rubbed other than that.

·
Registered
190 Posts
r7 fit

im really disappointed my new WTB LaseDisc Trail650B with a Wolverine 2.2 didnt fit my Manitou R7 100mm Competition front fork on my 2nd bike.. :(

i love the 650B up front on my Trance with a Fox fork.. but on the R7 it rubs on the fork brace.. yet i read it fit for others..?

frank

·
Uncle
4,379 Posts
'05 - '06 Rockhopper frames are a Go!

Feeling a bit late to the party, but hopefully the keg's not dry yet. :D

Just picked up a 19" 2005 Rockhopper, and had to do a double take when I got into the rack -- I couldn't believe how much room there is.:

With my 2.1 Motoraptor:

I pulled my front ZTR355 and tubeless mounted 2.35 NEVEGAL front wheel, and had my wife hold it in the drops using a long allen wrench as a through bolt, and I gave the wheel a spin -- plenty of clearance! Check this out:

~3mm at the seat stays:

And about the same at the chain stays:

I need to go ride this bike with the little wheels to make sure I can fit it (~1/2 short ETT than I usually ride), but will promptly have a wheel built up if the bike works for me. Even if it fits me, I won't be using a 2.35 Nev in the rear, but I posted these pics because a) this was the tire I had on hand, and b) because it pretty dramatically shows that any 650b tire available will work in the back of this bike. I figure if I can have 3mm clearance with this behemoth tire, I should have oodles of good, muddy crud clearance with a 2.1 or so.

Oh, and the BB height? Stock with 26" wheels sits at 299mm, which is just of shy of 12", which should leave it sitting nicely with 650b tires, don't you think?... Swan Dive!

·
Registered
244 Posts
bmxpimp, I have an X-small Titus Eleven with a fox fork and 650b fit in the front and rear.

I posted some photos on page 4 of this thread on 1-9-2010 and 1-10-2010.

I liked the way the big wheel slowed the steering down just a little.

·
Registered
272 Posts
DeeEight said:
Transition TransAm will fit the NeoMotos. Officially they clear 26 x 2.5s but the 2.5 clearance is all the way to the seat and chainstay bridge points, which is 14" from axle center with the axles run all the way forwards in the dropouts (they're rear entry with an optional derailleur hanger mount).
Pics PLEASE

·
Registered
482 Posts
Entrenador said:
Feeling a bit late to the party, but hopefully the keg's not dry yet. :D

Just picked up a 19" 2005 Rockhopper, and had to do a double take when I got into the rack -- I couldn't believe how much room there is.:

With my 2.1 Motoraptor:

I pulled my front ZTR355 and tubeless mounted 2.35 NEVEGAL front wheel, and had my wife hold it in the drops using a long allen wrench as a through bolt, and I gave the wheel a spin -- plenty of clearance! Check this out:

~3mm at the seat stays:

And about the same at the chain stays:

I need to go ride this bike with the little wheels to make sure I can fit it (~1/2 short ETT than I usually ride), but will promptly have a wheel built up if the bike works for me. Even if it fits me, I won't be using a 2.35 Nev in the rear, but I posted these pics because a) this was the tire I had on hand, and b) because it pretty dramatically shows that any 650b tire available will work in the back of this bike. I figure if I can have 3mm clearance with this behemoth tire, I should have oodles of good, muddy crud clearance with a 2.1 or so.

Oh, and the BB height? Stock with 26" wheels sits at 299mm, which is just of shy of 12", which should leave it sitting nicely with 650b tires, don't you think?... Swan Dive!
I was searching for the specs. I found that your 06 rockhopper's chainstays are 426mm and my 07 stumpjumper's are 424mm. I still would like to see it 650B would fit on the rear.

481 - 500 of 1439 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.