Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Liquid seat post slips. LBS ordered me a Salsa clamp and says it should fix it. Anyone else have problems? They said they warrantied another 2004 frame because of it, but the new frame (2005) had the same problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Never heard of it but then again I've never paid much attention to fuels. The salsa is a good clamp and is likely to fix the issue, but there are other options as well. You could try shims, but if it is just barely slipping, this probably isn't an option. You may try no grease on the post, or even scuffing the post a bit. Uglly, but it works. A quick fix is to actually coat it with sand. It will bite in, but again an ugly fix because of the way it mars the post.

·
Kick Start My Heart
624 Posts
Same problem with Fuels

Fuelish said:
Hint : apparently you've never paid much attention to Liquids, either ;););) j/k
I had the same problem w/ My Fuel. Salsa Clamp fixed it. I think the stock clamp just didn't provide consistent pressure aroung the tube and thus was "junkety-junk."

·
2,548 Posts
davez26 said:
I had the same problem w/ My Fuel. Salsa Clamp fixed it. I think the stock clamp just didn't provide consistent pressure aroung the tube and thus was "junkety-junk."
Dunno - still have the factory seatclamp on my '01 Fuel 90, has never given me an issue of any kind, ever (and I can run it "loose" enough that the seat and post "twist" in a crash) Monkeyboy's advice to scuff it up lightly is sound advice - people with slipping posts have been doing just that for many many years - just take some fine grit sandpaper and lightly sand the inserted portion of the post , clean it up, lube, insert, and hopefully it'll be solved.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
liquid25 said:
Thanks for the advice guys. They are giving me a free Salsa clamp for the fix (on order). I'll update this thread after I try it out.
When a post slips, is usually due to one of 2 things:

1) Not enough clamping force

2) crummy clamp (usually a QR clamp)

To solve the issue of not enough force....If the clamp is a QR style, tighten it by using a hex driver and tightening the bolt. Many QR clamps feel like they're tight, but really aren't applying much force to the seat tube. This can simply be due to the cam being dirty or worn. Tightening the bolt takes the cam out of the equation. If after tightenting the bolt...the post still slips...it's usually time for a new, and different clamp.

The Salsa should solve the problem, but when that cam gets dirty you could still have the same issues. Make sure that the bolt is tight before each ride. It can loosen up when you use the QR while riding.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Qr

liquid25 said:
2004 Liquid seat post slips. LBS ordered me a Salsa clamp and says it should fix it. Anyone else have problems? They said they warrantied another 2004 frame because of it, but the new frame (2005) had the same problem.
take your stock QR, take that little plastic washer thing out buy the lever and put some grease in there, that should take care of it for you.

·
mauna ona liquid
116 Posts
yea, grease it

Problem with seat post slipping on 2004 Liquid (my bike too) is due to insufficient seatpost clamp pressure.

previous poster had it right for the 2004 Liquid stock QR (that large cheesy plastic thing). My local LBS ordered me a Salsa and it works great and looks cooler. Had to order because seatpost is larger diameter than standard, apparently. Anyway, in the meantime he put some grease on the contact points of the QR allowing you to increase the clamping pressure. Now it is my backup seatpost clamp. Anyone ever heard of needing a backup seatpost clamp? ;)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Hey SCR...

I believe the shadow you see (its visible on mine up close only, probably because ot the light frame color) is probably because the stickers were put on before the clearcoat was sprayed on. Actually, it looks good on your bike the way it is. Only thing you could do is apply clearcoat to the area where the stickers used to be. My bike is an '03 front triangle with '05 rear end (don't ask). Only mods are: Azonic riser and stem, DH pro pig headset, Gripshift, WTB Power V DH seat, platform pedals, stock 22T granny gear, 36T middle ring, bash guard in place of big ring, most of these off my old bike. Black spray can used to paint over Bontrager name on seatpost and cranks...

·
Registered
797 Posts
Scr...

This was an '03 Liquid 10, so it came with the Fox Talus rear, and the Psylo front. I have no problem with the Psylo, but I could never get the Talus to feel right- it seemed to either blow thru its entire travel, or have not much travel at all. I switched to the Swinger 3-way, which rides much better in the first 3-1/2" of rear travel (I never even get 1-1/2" of actual rear shock travel, even with zero psi in both chambers). Getting the next 1-1/2" of rear travel was impossible, for me at least, and I weigh 175lbs. I swapped rear ends, and what do you know, I now have a 5" rear travel bike, just like it it advertised to be. It moves much smoother thru the entire travel, if you want it to, or you can juggle the 2 chambers of the Swinger to get want you want from it. I do not do drops over 2 feet, at least not on purpose, so I do not need or want a rear end like the black magic stays, that ramp up something serious to get the last 1" of travel. If you're into big drops or you weigh alot, maybe the black magic rear is for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.