Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
"Jim was talking to me all through this, and he said, 'I've got a pen in my pocket and get the pen and jab him in the eye,'" she said. "So I got the pen and tried to put it in his eye, but it didn't want to go in as easy as I thought it would." WOW, that's crazy! And they killed two lions!!!

Glad to hear he survived.

·
Registered
78 Posts
While I feel bad for the guy that got attacked , I really feel bad for the cats that got killed and then they tested them to see if one them had attacked them. :madman: After all we are going out into thier territory :skep:

Marty W

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Marty W said:
While I feel bad for the guy that got attacked , I really feel bad for the cats that got killed and then they tested them to see if one them had attacked them. :madman: After all we are going out into thier territory :skep:

Marty W
:rolleyes:

Geez, Marty, have some perspective. This is not normal mountain lion behavior. This is not a new park, nor were these folks in some remote backcountry area, even though Humboldt is pretty rural. If lions taking down people was a normal thing, we'd soon find we had no support for open space or no support for not hunting lions.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I'm not trying to start another shytstorm here, but I did find it a bit odd that they took out two lions. I guess I understand it when they're rolling through Palo Alto or another highly populated region, but I know that area pretty well, and it's not like there's a huge subdivision nearby. Orick is the largest town around there, and how many people on here have even heard of Orick? I'm not saying it's right or worng, it just struck me as a little odd. When surfers get bit by sharks, do they go out and shoot a couple sharks? Maybe that's not a good analogy, I don't know.

·
Registered
78 Posts
HarryCallahan said:
:rolleyes:

Geez, Marty, have some perspective. This is not normal mountain lion behavior. This is not a new park, nor were these folks in some remote backcountry area, even though Humboldt is pretty rural. If lions taking down people was a normal thing, we'd soon find we had no support for open space or no support for not hunting lions.
Geez I do have some perspective...... I apoligize that it doesn't jive with yours:nono:
I just had this discussion with the Ranger here in a park that I ride in, when we were discussing night riding thru the park he said that he wasn't so worried about the people that come out and ride as much as he was worried about the impact that it had on the wildlife and one of the scenarios that he brought up was, people stumbling across a cougar and getting hurt. Then by the book they have to hunt down the offending cat.
The more that we spread "out" the more the animals are limited to were they can live and hunt.
As I said I DO feel bad that someone was hurt but maybe we should look at our impact on wildlife a little closer.

Marty W.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
i hate hearing these stories on a couple of fronts--first that someone was injured, and second that our knee jerk reaction is to kill the animals that may have been responsible. heck they aren't even sure if they got the right lion, and it sounded as if it were only one lion involved in the attack. seems like 'overkill' to me. i know it's not normal lion behavior but they are wild animals so what is normal? we're on their turf, to some degree we are taking a risk. i'd rather take the risk and leave the lions alone. if they tracked the lions and found something wrong with them, that might be a different story. why can't the authorities use tranquilizers to take them down and see if something's wrong before killing them?

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Too bad that the gun laws suck in California. Not that I want to shoot lions or other animals, I would feel more safer with having one to be able to protect myself should an animal decide that I am just too tasty to pass up :)

·
Mtbr Founder
35,499 Posts
Lawson Raider said:
Too bad that the gun laws suck in California. Not that I want to shoot lions or other animals, I would feel more safer with having one to be able to protect myself should an animal decide that I am just too tasty to pass up :)
Ha, ha. You can carry a gatling gun and have no chance against the mountain lion. The thing is you'll never see or hear it coming. The only time you'll notice the attack is when your head or your throat is in their mouth.

Once that happens, the lion goes into conserve mode and will clamp on till the prey is dead. And it is very, very hard to get out of the death grip.

fc

·
Registered
439 Posts
We have tranquilized them up here (on the Humboldt State campus earlier this year - kitty wasn't being aggressive so they relocated it), and from what I hear through the grapevine there have been recent cases where lions have challenged folks up there. If I have my story right, I guy was mountain biking and a cat jumped off the bank, narrowly missing him. I've hunted all my life, and I think predator hunting is idiotic, and if I'm reincarnated I hope to god it's as a mountain lion, but I don't think aggressive cats should be tolerated in populated areas or Parks that see thousands of visitors a year. It bums me out, but I see it as the lesser of two evils. There is a 150x200 mile square of open land up here for lions to roam - it's not like the bay area where they are getting squeezed out of their habitat.

It sucks, but it sucks less than you having your 5 year old snatched out from under you.

·
Outrageously happy
71 Posts
Lawson Raider said:
The guy's wife fended off the cat with a stick and a ball point pen. What does he need a gun for? His head was in the cat's mouth.

I used to mountain bike above Placerville in the mid-80s. During hunting season, I was quite nervous around these guys with guns, sitting in the backs of their trucks, drinking beer. I don't want to call them hunters, because what they were doing did not resemble anything remotely like tracking game. Every year, a few of these guys would shoot each other (a la Cheney / Whittington), as drunk people probably couldn't tell a deer from a mountain biker.

Under your scenario, I'd be much more nervous in the wild, not less.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
Sad for all concerned. First off I feel a lot worse for the man and women than I do the the loss of two cats. We have had our problems in So-Cal with cat attacks to. I understand peoples feelings towards protecting and saving wildlife, but not at the loss of human life. I believe peoples priorities would change if they lost a loved one or wittnessed a attack.

The best defence against a cat is to have a good traildog...great early warning systems. To bad that dog are not allowed in most State Parks.

Dean

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Roeland said:
The guy's wife fended off the cat with a stick and a ball point pen. What does he need a gun for? His head was in the cat's mouth.

I used to mountain bike above Placerville in the mid-80s. During hunting season, I was quite nervous around these guys with guns, sitting in the backs of their trucks, drinking beer. I don't want to call them hunters, because what they were doing did not resemble anything remotely like tracking game. Every year, a few of these guys would shoot each other (a la Cheney / Whittington), as drunk people probably couldn't tell a deer from a mountain biker.

Under your scenario, I'd be much more nervous in the wild, not less.
It was nice the lady was able to defend herself with what she had. But if I had a choice between a ballpoint pen and a good trusty .45, I'd take the .45. Granted, it is no guarantee you won't fall victim because those big cats are very good at stealth. But at least I would like to have the option for the most efficent defense if the situation presented itself as such as I had a chance to defend myself.

I know our society has made the gun into some perverbial boogeyman but in truth, the gun is only as good or evil as the person using it. Where I live, in Missouri, I see folks with guns all the time and I don't get nervous at all.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
dstepper said:
Sad for all concerned. First off I feel a lot worse for the man and women than I do the the loss of two cats. We have had our problems in So-Cal with cat attacks to. I understand peoples feelings towards protecting and saving wildlife, but not at the loss of human life. I believe peoples priorities would change if they lost a loved one or wittnessed a attack.

The best defence against a cat is to have a good traildog...great early warning systems. To bad that dog are not allowed in most State Parks.

Dean
humans are no more important than wildlife...we are, btw, the ones ruining the earth and screwing up the balance, not them...:nono: and death is a part of life, even for humans...and sometimes it can be cruel...

maybe if people would only have one child, maybe 2, instead of 3 or 4, we might still have room for wildlife...

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wildlife is perfectly capable of screwing up the balance - the "balance" of nature as far as predator-prey relationships go is a series of quite nasty cycles of surplus and starvation. Not that we don't help this out with our own mistakes, just that the balance of nature is nowhere near utopian. It's a constant struggle.

Yes, death is part of life, as is defending a member of your tribe/herd/whatever. There are lions all over the place up here - it's only when they become a documented threat that stuff like this happens.

It really is sad for all concerned.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
tjp said:
Wildlife is perfectly capable of screwing up the balance - the "balance" of nature as far as predator-prey relationships go is a series of quite nasty cycles of surplus and starvation. Not that we don't help this out with our own mistakes, just that the balance of nature is nowhere near utopian. It's a constant struggle.

Yes, death is part of life, as is defending a member of your tribe/herd/whatever. There are lions all over the place up here - it's only when they become a documented threat that stuff like this happens.

It really is sad for all concerned.
yes, I'm aware of the cruelty of nature and the cycles of the R and K strategists, as well as predator/prey, symbiotic and mutualistic relationships...my point is that humans tend to think that we don't deserve to be part of that "balance"...but in fact, are the species that needs it most...

and yes, it is sad that all had to go through this traumatic experience...

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
I agree

irieness said:
yes, I'm aware of the cruelty of nature and the cycles of the R and K strategists, as well as predator/prey, symbiotic and mutualistic relationships...my point is that humans tend to think that we don't deserve to be part of that "balance"...but in fact, are the species that needs it most...
with your statements, irieness. Nice avatar, btw.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow. We just had a conversation about a sensitive subject. We disagreed (to a point). We didn't call each other names, we were civil... What's this world coming to? Shouldn't we be calling each other names?

Thanks for your thoughts; I agree that we are the ones that need balance the most.

·
Groveland Trail Heads
1,897 Posts
Good point

tjp said:
Wow. We just had a conversation about a sensitive subject. We disagreed (to a point). We didn't call each other names, we were civil... What's this world coming to? Shouldn't we be calling each other names?

Thanks for your thoughts; I agree that we are the ones that need balance the most.
Nice to see people being civilized when they disagree about something :thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,278 Posts
irieness said:
humans are no more important than wildlife...we are, btw, the ones ruining the earth and screwing up the balance, not them...:nono: and death is a part of life, even for humans...and sometimes it can be cruel...
Sure they are. Humans are more important . . . to humans. just as mountain lions are more important to . . mountain lions. So in this particular calculation, since it is figured by human society, humans are more important.

I agree with your comments about death.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.