Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 Kona Dawg with the option of setting the shock in a linear position or a progressive position. It is currently set up in the linear position and so far I have been a bit disappointed with pedaling performance. Will switching to the more progressive setup help with obtaining better pedaling efficiency?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
prsman27 said:
I have an 06 Kona Dawg with the option of setting the shock in a linear position or a progressive position. It is currently set up in the linear position and so far I have been a bit disappointed with pedaling performance. Will switching to the more progressive setup help with obtaining better pedaling efficiency?
A progressive wheel rate with the same sag and big hit compressive load required to get to bottom travel is softer through mid travel just below sag than a linear rate. A more progressive rate would squat and bob more without firming compression or platform damping up.

Try it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,874 Posts
Agree x3. Falling rate designs actually pedaled decently due to the relatively high initial sprimg rate. They were pretty poor for bump absorption though.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
prsman27 said:
Thanks guys. I think I'll just leave it in the linear position and upgrade my shock (currently have a Float R- I enjoyed using the RP23, may grab one of those).
Try it anyway, if you can use the same shock. It would hit bumps smoother. Even if it bobs a little more it may corner and handle better overall. You'll naturally adapt your pedaling rhythm in a few rides to minimize a small increase in bob.

If it feels a little weaker pedaling, bump your seat forward a little at a time, like 1/4 inch, to get over the pedals stronger. Fit is the main thing for pedaling power.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.