Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search, but only found threads about lateral play.

So how common is it for a centerlock hub/rotor to linear play?? I dont think that its noticeable during the ride, yet. Mostly its just when i am stopped, grab the brake and rock the handlebars back and forth. I took the wheel off for a closer inspection, and while both the rotor and hub splines look clean and in perfect condition, its clearly visible that they are not a snug fit. It began with a XT rotor on an XTR front hub after about 300 miles of use. I swapped out for a magura centerlock adapter/rotor, it seemed nice and tight to start, but after 50-100 miles it is in the same condition as the XT rotor. Is my hub screwed?? Is it possible to replace the centerlock?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I did a quick search, but only found threads about lateral play.

So how common is it for a centerlock hub/rotor to linear play?? I dont think that its noticeable during the ride, yet. Mostly its just when i am stopped, grab the brake and rock the handlebars back and forth. I took the wheel off for a closer inspection, and while both the rotor and hub splines look clean and in perfect condition, its clearly visible that they are not a snug fit. It began with a XT rotor on an XTR front hub after about 300 miles of use. I swapped out for a magura centerlock adapter/rotor, it seemed nice and tight to start, but after 50-100 miles it is in the same condition as the XT rotor. Is my hub screwed?? Is it possible to replace the centerlock?
I have been using CL to 6-bolt adaptors for years on several different wheelsets and bikes. Never had ANY play.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Have you checked that the lockring is tight still. I've not known there to be any play in the limited experience I've had with centrelock, except where the lockring had become loose.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I have 6 centerlock rotors on 2 Shimano Wheelsets and 1 Mavic wheelsets....

I have never had any play in between the rotor and the hub....

Sometimes when installing the rotors....they don't go on straight....you need to wiggle them to get it set in properly....

sparingly apply grease to the splines.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I'm using a 6-bolt problem solvers centerlock adapter and had a lot of linear play like you are describing. What solved the problem was this: get a Shimano Hyperglide lockring that has a larger diameter flange, you can get it tighter than the cheap aluminum one that is included and the larger diameter clamps the rotor more solid. I used a little bit of loctite on the lockring because the play caused it to come loose over time (slightly). I also covered the splines with grease. Now, while I try to minimize the amount of times I brake while riding backwards, I haven't noticed any play since then. Get your lockring tight, but not too tight, you'll strip your hub and ruin it. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Depends on which one you get. The ones with a pinch bolt I've heard bad things about. I've also heard those are hard to keep your rotor straight. The ones with the 6 studs to hold the rotor then the lockring holds it all together are much better and work very well. There is actually more surface area clamping into the rotor so my braking feels much more secure than it did with my 6 bolt setup. However I still prefer the 6 bolt setup ;)

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
If you have rotors with separate carrier and disc parts the interface between those 2 parts will develop play very quickly. Its definitely noticable when standing still. But that happens with all 2 part discs. This is why such rotors are unsuitable for trials. The spline interface seems quite solid though.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I just checked my brakes last night and what I posted up earlier completely fixed the problem. I'm still not going to do many trials style stops like I used to, hopping around on my rear wheel, in order to prolong the life of the adapter and hub, But as far as grabbing the brake, rocking the bike back and forth, I no longer have play with what I've done.

·
~ B A D A S S ~
3,236 Posts
I meant the original poster. Just to keep everything non confusing. I have high grade shimano centerlock discs and those move at the 5 or 6 bolts that keeps the alu carrier and the steel disc together. Thats the way iot is. Play. But this only matter if you are going both forward and backwards on your bike (trials). I feel nothing on my bike and I knew about it from before and approximate it to like 3-4degrees.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.