Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Rock Shox Revelation is bottoming out after traveling approximately 30mm when it is set at full travel. If I crank it down to where is should have about 100mm of travel, it is essentially locked out, and only travels 5mm tops. I've checked and double checked air pressures and the lockout dial. This is my first air spring shock, so I'm quite inexperienced with the newer equipment. Does anybody have any insight or am I best to take it in to my LBS and have them rip it apart? :confused:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Don't know if you've tried this already, but you could take out all the air and cycle through the fork and see how much travel it has this way.

If it is not achieving full travel, could be possible that there is too much oil causing a hydraulic lock out. When did this start happening?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just went out and tried that, but it hits a brick wall after about 30mm's, even with no air in either chamber. I noticed on my last ride that I was bottoming out when I definitely shouldn't have. I didn't have my shock pump with me, so I limped it home and realized that I was about 15 lbs low in both chambers, so I chalked the problem up to that. Then today, when I went to go for a ride, I dialed in the pressures, hopped on, cycled the shock and realized that it was still not working correctly.

·
mmm
952 Posts
Your Motion Control unit is busted. The seal separating the compression oil from the semi-bath oil is leaking allowing the compression oil to seep through. You can't get more than 30mm of travel because the volume used for travel is now filled with oil.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I am betting your lockout knob has slipped and your fork is actually "locked out" (even locked out you should still get a bit of travel, so it might not be fully engaged). I am not running a Pop-Loc or any other remote hardware, just the knob on the top of my fork. I had the whole thing come off on a ride not long ago. I was able to save allthe parts and put them in my pack and re-assemble everything when I got home. Check out your lock out, I am betting that is it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help and ideas

Thanks for the help and ideas guys. I'm going to pull the motion control side apart tonight and see if it's something to do with the lockout mecanism not disengaging. If it's not an easy fix there, it's going in to the shop to get fixed professionally. Thanks again!!

·
mmm
952 Posts
You'll know if the MoCo has failed by draining the semi-bathe oil in the rebound side of the lower. If you get more than 15cc of oil in there, then there is a leak.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, that's a bummer. I got side-tracked and haven't had a chance to deal with it yet, but that doesn't sound like good news. I bought this bike online from Fezzari about 5 months ago, so it sucks that I can't take it in and say, "Here.....fix this." I haven't heard back from Fezzari, so it sounds like I might be without a bike for a few weeks....especially if I have to send it back to them, and then they have to send it to Sram.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I still don't know exactly what the problem is, but whatever it is required me to send the shock into Rock Shox. They said they had a "fix" for the problem, so apparently they're aware of the issue. I've talked to a couple of LBS's to see if I could have it fixed without having to tear my bike apart and be without it for a couple extra weeks, but they both said it would have to go back to Rock Shox. I'd plan on getting a return auth and getting it sent out. I should have mine back by the end of the week, so I'll report back with any additional info.

·
Registered
104 Posts
dstelk said:
I still don't know exactly what the problem is, but whatever it is required me to send the shock into Rock Shox. They said they had a "fix" for the problem, so apparently they're aware of the issue. I've talked to a couple of LBS's to see if I could have it fixed without having to tear my bike apart and be without it for a couple extra weeks, but they both said it would have to go back to Rock Shox. I'd plan on getting a return auth and getting it sent out. I should have mine back by the end of the week, so I'll report back with any additional info.
Thanks for the update. I've been looking around for some solution and maybe a change of o-ring could do the trick. I'll wait for your update.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So much for having it back by the end of the week...

angelobryant said:
Thanks for the update. I've been looking around for some solution and maybe a change of o-ring could do the trick. I'll wait for your update.
Well, it turns out that the fix that Rock Shox thought they would turn around in a day took almost 3 weeks. The guys at Fezzari weren't sure what exactly the problem was either, but they did run it through it's paces before sending it back to me. I'll have it back by the end of THIS week and won't likely ever know what the problem was. All I know is that I've been without my bike for 4 or 5 weeks, so to anybody considering a Rock Shox Revelation 409....DON'T DO IT!!! Have you had any luck with yours, angelobryant?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.