Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
no dabs
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How about this as a Friday fix?

Frame number 13 out of my shop is called "Lily" and is the only real "art" I have ever produced:

It was my wedding present to my wife. She really only needs a neighborhood cruiser, whenever we go anywhere far away, we take the tandem. Before this bike, she had never even been on a bike that fit her and could accommodate fat road tires. This bike fits her perfectly, and rides better than I could have imagined. I take it out occasionally, because even as small for me as it is (I'm 6'3"), it is still a joy to ride.

I'm a lousy photographer, but here are the napkin sketches, followed by what I ended up with in steel and bronze:

Attachments

·
no dabs
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought couple different kinds of off the shelf cable guides, but I didn't like any of them. I made the cable guides below by free bending stainless tubing cold, and then filing fish mouths for the right look. They actually work better too.... Also visible is the chainstay gusset, made from scrap tubing, free bent with a torch, then cut to length. sorry the bike is so dirty in the photo....

Attachments

·
no dabs
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I made this butted head tube from plain gauge stock. It would have been strong enough without the butting, but I wanted a place to do a custom head badge. Autumn's middle name is "Love." At the time, I thought it would be cool to use a heart instead of an L...... :rolleyes: Also visible is the machined spacer I made. It is one of the only parts on the bike that was made with a power tool.

That stuff that looks like a bad wax job is a bad wax job......

Attachments

·
no dabs
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same detail on the chain guard.

The chain guard started out as a flat plate of 4130, a 5/8" straight round 4130 tube, a 3/8" straight round 4130 tube, and some tiny stainless tubing. I bent the tube section, then cut out the back side, and brazed it to the contoured flat plate. The stainless tube was slit open to fit over the flat plate. It acts as a rub guard. As expected, the paint wore off it in the first hundred miles, but it is high grade stainless so it won't rust. The dropouts are faced with a thin layer of stainless too. Most of the wear areas are stainless at the contact point.....

I might have 30 hours in that damn chain guard not including my lousy freehand paint job.....

Attachments

·
no dabs
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stem I made. The extension body is tapered, double ovalized (reversing, taller at one end, wider at the other), and curved. I'm sure someone can guess what it started out as. The small clamp boss that I made is internal, so the bolt could be somewhat hidden.

You can't see the slit that I used to increase the taper of the tube, or the double oval profile, or the embossed logo on the front, but you can sort of see the curved taper. You also can't see the one I got almost finished before realizing I hadn't cut the slit necessary for the clamp to be able to hold the stem on.... :madman:

Attachments

·
no dabs
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are a bunch of other custom details that took forever, like the custom tapered, free bent with heat top tube, the custom made handlebars, tubular stainless hub brake torque arm mount, the gussets, the lock and fender mounts, etc.

Autumn removed the streamers (my version of wrapping paper, obviously i couldn't hide this from her so i had to do something she wasn't expecting), and we went with a classic Brooks saddle on a rearward offset post, and we have shortened the stem spacer, but other than that, this is what she looks like right now:

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
That is pretty bad-assed. I like it. I am sure your wife loves it.

I like the hand painted accents. Suggestion. You should have someone (like me) paint that up real nice and pretty because it deserves it and it would really look stunning if it had top quality paint on it.

Dave Bohm
Bohemian Bicycles

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
Nice job. I agree with Dave though, it definitely deserves some decent paint.

·
no dabs
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The free hand details are pretty bad. The rest of it really looks quite a bit worse in the photos than it does in person (to me). I don't actually think it looks that bad, even without considering that it only took $20 worth of paint and prep materials when that was a lot of money to me, and I did it in an unheated apartment storage locker with an electric IR heater aimed at the frame and a winter coat on.

I would love to take a crack at repainting it myself, with a decent budget now that I am out of school. It doesn't matter. The wife wouldn't hear of having it repainted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.