Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hecklers turning 6 in a few months. I like the swoopy lines of the latest version, but I still prefer the utiliarian look of the previous version, biased no doubt! I rode it for a couple years before I figured out shocks didn't have proper springs for my weight:madman: Recently I've changed rear wheel and cogset, seat post, stem, handlebars, chain rings. Fork just serviced.Still have 5th element shock, float on its way just in case.Just had new bearing propack installed. Finally dialed in after all this time, I swear sometimes it feels like its alive! See you bros on Nor Cal trails




what is replaced 6 yrs ago
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Just got the 5th on mine rebuilt, can't wait to get it out on the trail again. It had totally blown and was clanking down the trail topping out last time I rode it. I recently got a TI spring for the 5th - wait long enough and you can pick up the bling for cheap! I also have the vanilla 125 on mine, great fork.

Right now I'm in GA with the family and the heckler is in CO, I'm riding my old proflex 857 on old trails I used to ride before I moved. The proflex is still a pretty sweet ride, 3 inches of coil spring travel front and rear! Only bummer is the massive amount of stiction in the front suspension, but once you get going its no big deal. Surprisingly dialed rear suspension for such an old bike, pedals pretty well.
 

·
boomer
Joined
·
888 Posts
Ansible said:
Just got the 5th on mine rebuilt, can't wait to get it out on the trail again. It had totally blown and was clanking down the trail topping out last time I rode it. I recently got a TI spring for the 5th - wait long enough and you can pick up the bling for cheap! I also have the vanilla 125 on mine, great fork.
Who'd you have rebuild the 5th? I had mine done a couple of years ago with the same problem by 5th Element and it's about time again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
I had my 5th repaired by The Broken Bike up in canada. It seemed ok when I got it back, it wasn't clanking like before in the drop-the-rear-wheel test. I won't know for sure until I get it out on the trail though. The price is right for the rebuild, 85$ canadian which as of now works out to about 68$ US. I think it was another 10$ canadian for the shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ansible said:
Just got the 5th on mine rebuilt, can't wait to get it out on the trail again. It had totally blown and was clanking down the trail topping out last time I rode it. I recently got a TI spring for the 5th - wait long enough and you can pick up the bling for cheap! I also have the vanilla 125 on mine, great fork.

Right now I'm in GA with the family and the heckler is in CO, I'm riding my old proflex 857 on old trails I used to ride before I moved. The proflex is still a pretty sweet ride, 3 inches of coil spring travel front and rear! Only bummer is the massive amount of stiction in the front suspension, but once you get going its no big deal. Surprisingly dialed rear suspension for such an old bike, pedals pretty well.
Please, where did you get the TI spring?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Sweet. I still have my 03 Heckler. New front triangle, 3rd front fork (Manitou Black plus rebuild, Sherman, Fox Float R), 2nd rear shock (float RLC, rebuild inc new shaft, DHX Coil). Drivetrain replaced several times over, Replaced front brake (old mini for Mono M4).New post, bars, pedals, rims, hub bearings. It all got too much for me in the end...so I bought the new Heckler :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
I'm still riding my trusty 04 gold pc. I'm on the third fork (Super T - Z1 FR1 - Revelation Dual Air) and third rear shock (7.875x2.0 5th, 7.875x2.25 5th, 7.5x2.0 Float R)

I'm on the second set of wheels as well - a much lighter build than before. So it has probably lost around 3kg since day one and with the slightly shorter shock, it's low and slack (12.8" BB) Absolutely loves corners but you need to be careful with pedal placement...
 

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
I had an 04 Heckler set up "all mountain" around 31 lbs., then sold the frame for a Nomad. I kind of missed the Heckler for general XC type riding. I decided to build up something a little lighter than the Nomad and bought another 04 Heckler frame. As I said I decided to go lighter on the build, so I have an air sprung RS Revelation and awaiting devilery on a Pushed Float on the rear.

I'm pretty excited on the new light weight Heckler build (4+ lbs lighter than the Nomad) and getting out to ride it this spring.

Nothing wrong with the good old Heckler.
 

·
COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
Joined
·
1,110 Posts
Sov said:
I'm still riding my trusty 04 gold pc. I'm on the third fork (Super T - Z1 FR1 - Revelation Dual Air) and third rear shock (7.875x2.0 5th, 7.875x2.25 5th, 7.5x2.0 Float R)

I'm on the second set of wheels as well - a much lighter build than before. So it has probably lost around 3kg since day one and with the slightly shorter shock, it's low and slack (12.8" BB) Absolutely loves corners but you need to be careful with pedal placement...
Sov, Your current set up sound exactly like my new build. You should look into getting your Float "Pushed". For the cost of $150. you get a perfectly tuned shock for you and your bike shipped back to door. Get the order in before the end of the year for free shipping.

What does your bike weigh?

I'm going to post pictures, specs. and est. weight when I get my shock back.

Post pics of your old Hecklers.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
spacoli said:
Sov, Your current set up sound exactly like my new build. You should look into getting your Float "Pushed". For the cost of $150. you get a perfectly tuned shock for you and your bike shipped back to door. Get the order in before the end of the year for free shipping.

What does your bike weigh?

I'm going to post pictures, specs. and est. weight when I get my shock back.

Post pics of your old Hecklers.;)
Here's a pic of mine, it's a smidge under 30 pounds I believe. Specs are:
07 Revelation Dual Airs
7.5x2.0 Fox Float R
X9 bits and pieces with 1999 LX cranks on a UN91 bottom bracket (old - I wanted to try 170mm cranks in lieu of the 175mm Hones that I used to have)
Mavic xc717 rims on XT fr and ringle rr hubs
Thomson post, stem, Easton bars
Juicy 3 brakes

I'm finding the Float fine for now - the only thing I'd prefer is a bit more ending stroke ramp up to resist bottoming.
 

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top