Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a family function in Minneapolis on April 20. I'm wondering if its worth humping the bike along and hitting some trails on 21st/22nd.

Any insight as to the likely trail conditions in that timeframe?

I realize it may depend in part on the weather that materializes around April 20th, but I was hoping to get some rough expectations from locals. For example, if few trails dry out before May in normal years, then I know its probably not worth bringing my bike.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Due to the rough winter, snow is still on the ground and will be into April and frost is deeper than it has been in decades, the trail volunteers are all guessing late April to early May. I would guess there is a chance they may be ready by your trip, but don't count on it. I would check in when it is closer to your trip for an update. Hard to know for sure right now.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
315 Posts
We've had openings over the years that have been late March at the earliest to early May on the late side. This is a bad winter. My bet is on early May.

·
singletracksuperfreak
15 Posts
Actually, very LITTLE frost is in the ground in snow covered areas. Because the heavy snow came before any real cold temperatures, the insulating blanket of snow staved off frost penetration. Don't believe me? Go peel up the snow & dig a hole in your backyard. All of the frost penetration IS really deep in uncovered areas-parking lots, roadways, etc...Trails that have had some use, packed snow, will probably have some frost underneath.

That being said, I too think it will be a late year for trail openings-barring an asteroid impact & sudden & extreme melting of the snowpack & drying of the soil in the next few weeks/month.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wouldn't count it out but I would ask closer to the date. Right now I'd guess no but that is still a month away and we live in one of the craziest climates ever so, who knows a couple good days of rain could get rid of the snow and a couple weeks of warm weather could change everything...

for up to day trail conditions of the Minneapolis/St. Paul Trails check out Minnesota Off-Road Cyclists they are the IMBA Chapter that builds and maintains all the trails in the metro

·
Registered
315 Posts
Actually, even with the snow insulation this year, frost depth is the deepest it has been since the late 70s over most of MN because of the extreme cold this year.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah, I looked at some data just now, like that theDeleman said, big difference between snow covered and uncovered areas, but still a deep frost year. Frost on trails I'd always tricky anyway. Trails will dry on most of the trail and frost will hold out in the low spots on north side of hills for a lot longer. Most of us in MORC who have watched the annual trail dryout every spring are still guessing around the first of May, but you never know.

·
Clears
90 Posts
Go to morcmtb.org for better. MN trail info. We are having a nice warm week this week but who knows what the rest of the month will be like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts