Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ladies-

I'm building a hardtail 29er as a winter project. I bought the frame and am buying and installing all components (with lots of help from the internet and a couple books :). Will take it to my mechanic for a once over when I have it together.). I'm trying to make it pretty lightweight for XC racing and one of the only things I have left to select is a saddle. I find that I'm not too picky with saddles in terms of comfort (have three different saddles on my other bikes and no complaints about any of them...can go on shorter 1-1.5 hour rides with no chamois without a problem). It seems that about 150-155 mm width is good for me.

With 150-155 mm width and lightweight being the parameters, any suggestions? One that I've been looking at is the Selle San Marco Aspide Glamour at 190 grams and 155 mm width. Any other ideas that you ladies have tried? Any of you have any saddles that are lightweight and about 150-155mm that didn't work out that you want to sell (PM if so)?

Thanks!

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
I have a white glamour aspide arrowhead (cutout version) that I tried & didn't like, though a lot of women swear by them. Same with a Specialized Ruby 155- very popular, but didn't work out for me. (I've since settled on a Selle Italia Trans AM, which is neither pretty nor light, but I can go 4+ hours on it)

·
Registered
144 Posts
It seems that most 'WSD' (wide) saddles have gel, foam, couch inners or whatever they are using, but they look and feel like they belong on a beach cruiser and they are heavy. Really sad. I have wide sit-bones so the typical mens thin racing saddles are out, and I was using the Aspide Glamor which was ok but not great. After ripping it up in a crash (and waiting for my replacement CF frame from Spec), I stumbled on the Bontrager Inform RXL saddle at the LBS. It's a 'mens' racing saddle, so no beach cruiser look but they make 154 size, and it comes with a 90 day unconditional return, so I tried it. It took about eight rides to get comfortable with it, but now it just disappears under me. I have since bought an RL (RXL has hollow TI rails, RL has hollow stainless) for the MTB. There really aren't many wide saddles that are light and comfortable but at least in my case I have found it.

My dream saddle is a bare CF shell with molded in CF rails but no one makes it in 154 :madman:.

So I strongly suggest trying the RXL, and if it doesn't work out just return it within the 90 days. I had also tried the Specialized but did not like it at all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I haven't found anything I like better than the Fizik Vitesse for road or trail. I have it on all four of my bikes. Not the absolute lightest, but pretty light and completely comfortable for everything, including 100 mile mtb races.
I'd rather have 30g extra weight in the saddle if it means no fatigue at mile 99.
A good chamois makes a world of difference too.

·
gone for a bike ride
1,973 Posts
mrs culturesponge adores her terry butterfly carbon saddle @ 260 long 160 width

handstitched genuine Italian leather & 3k carbon cloth + enough padding for all day rides on Selle Italia Carbonio rails that absorb trail chatter really well

perhaps not the lightest, but saddles are not a great place to save weight anyway ...but you could always remove the cover/padding for a superlight (sub 100g) minimalist sit bone friendly saddle with a cutout

............edit to correct typo........

·
Bored Carp
1,596 Posts
The Ldy SLK is light, low profile and nice for long rides. I have several. I also have an Aspide Galmour, the Deva and a lot of time on various men's saddles. So far, this is my fave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.