Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best lighweight QR skewers that don't sacrifice strength and reliability? I've been looking at the Hopes and the KCNC. I like the bling factor of both and will probably add a matching QR seat collar with whatever I choose. Anybody got a weight of the Hope QR Skewers? KCNC Skewers?

·
Mines 29
313 Posts
I got a set of the Hope ones, dont know the weight, but do know they are quite a bit heavier than the KCNC. But IMO the Hopes are nicer. My dad even uses them on his sub 13lbs Cervelo R3.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tune from light-bike.com

Can't help you on 97g Hope or 46g KCNC but Tune hits the spot for me. After my 15 year old Salsa ti finally gave up, I took a chance on Tune. So far it holds the wheel right where i need it. Can't feel the difference weight while riding but my scale does read 36g for Tune and 77g for Salsa. I got mine from Dirtboy at https://sales.light-bikes.com/ scroll to the fart right and you'll see it. Dirtboy is cool and will beat any price. Here's the image and good luck!

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
WAZCO said:
Can't help you on 97g Hope or 46g KCNC but Tune hits the spot for me. After my 15 year old Salsa ti finally gave up, I took a chance on Tune. So far it holds the wheel right where i need it. Can't feel the difference weight while riding but my scale does read 36g for Tune and 77g for Salsa. I got mine from Dirtboy at http://sales.light-bikes.com/ scroll to the fart right and you'll see it. Dirtboy is cool and will beat any price. Here's the image and good luck!
German Bike Sport News magazine just lately did a test on several high-end skewers and interestingly the ATIK came away very good.They're only 40g and offer high clamping torque.They have 4100N while the Tune DC 16+17 only have 3100N

Attachments

·
Registered
343 Posts
I ride steel bolt-ons. 65g, $15. They are.light, strong, reliable, but no, not a quick release.
But when I see how long my buddies adjust the tension with their QR I'm always faster with mine and Allen wrench.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
yellowbook said:
I ride steel bolt-ons. 65g, $15. They are.light, strong, reliable, but no, not a quick release.
But when I see how long my buddies adjust the tension with their QR I'm always faster with mine and Allen wrench.
Yeah - steel bolt-ons are my favourites as well. We all carry a multi-tool and removing them might indeed take about 20 seconds longer but cost vs. weight savings vs funtionality they are clear winners.

Steel bolt-on in that same test mentioned above got 8800N clamping force :thumbsup:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Vortechcoupe said:
Any recommendations for a set of light weight bolt-on skewers? Do you need to hold and tighten both ends or will one end grab while tightening the other end? Basically does it take one or two allen keys?
All bolt on skewers i've experience requires only one allen key but I'm not bolt on anymore so things may have change? I doubt it though.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Bang for the buck the KCNC's are pretty good. I also have a couple sets of the Taiwan made Tune copies. They seems to work pretty well too.

I run Ti spokes on my Mojo SL and felt it was better to run a little "beefier" Hope on the rear.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Looks like OP is trying to match a QR seatpost clamp with the skewers.Got my wife the KCNC QR seatpost clamp 34.9, claimed 23 grams, hers was 20.5 grams.With carbon paste applied to seatpost [carbon seatpost to carbon frame ] very little torque needed to hold seatpost from slipping.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think for QR nothing can beat the price/weight/performance ratio of KCNC. However, the levers are short so I would wear gloves to get them tight.

However, now I've converted my hubs to 9mm and 10mm thru axle, and I'm using Hadley aluminum TAs. They are actually very light considering they are TA. The front 32 grams and rear 51 grams. I always ride with a multi-tool so they are actually more convenient than QRs and I get the added stiffness and confidence of TA. Food for thought...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'm going to try a set of steel bolt on and see how I like them. Any brands in particular I should be considering or just any generic bolt ons?

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
nino said:
German Bike Sport News magazine just lately did a test on several high-end skewers and interestingly the ATIK came away very good.They're only 40g and offer high clamping torque.They have 4100N while the Tune DC 16+17 only have 3100N
Interesting, those look exactly like my M2Racer skewers (on the red scale) - unfortunately M2Racer went belly up a few years ago, but it looks like their design lives on - glad to hear the clamping force is acceptable, if indeed they are the same.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.