Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I know I'm searching for what everybody wants, a lightweight and strong handlebar that is not made out of carbon. All of my riding is cross country training and racing, no big drops or anything. I'm currently riding an Easton EC90 Monkeylite SL at 135 grams. It has been great, but I'm going on two years with it and I'm mega-paranoid about breaking it, especially after reading some of the horror stories about carbon that I've seen posted on this site. So, I'm in the market for a good aluminum bar (not interested in paying $118 for titanium). What experience do you all have with strong and lightweight aluminum? I'm currently leaning towards the Raceface Straight Bar (145 grams), the Titec Enduro XC (140 grams), the Titec Hellbent XC (200 grams), or the Titec Hellbent Flattracker (195 grams). I ruled out Easton because I've heard their eluminum is too flexy, and I've ruled out Ritchey because I can't navigate their crappy website. Any other suggestions? Any experience with the Raceface or Titec bars I mentioned? Thanks!

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Dirt Pilot said:
Ok guys, I know I'm searching for what everybody wants, a lightweight and strong handlebar that is not made out of carbon. All of my riding is cross country training and racing, no big drops or anything. I'm currently riding an Easton EC90 Monkeylite SL at 135 grams. It has been great, but I'm going on two years with it and I'm mega-paranoid about breaking it, especially after reading some of the horror stories about carbon that I've seen posted on this site. So, I'm in the market for a good aluminum bar (not interested in paying $118 for titanium). What experience do you all have with strong and lightweight aluminum? I'm currently leaning towards the Raceface Straight Bar (145 grams), the Titec Enduro XC (140 grams), the Titec Hellbent XC (200 grams), or the Titec Hellbent Flattracker (195 grams). I ruled out Easton because I've heard their eluminum is too flexy, and I've ruled out Ritchey because I can't navigate their crappy website. Any other suggestions? Any experience with the Raceface or Titec bars I mentioned? Thanks!
I have an Easton EA50 flat bar, 163 grams, no flex at all. $20 at Supergo.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Couple of options...

And you covered most of 'em.

I'd look at the Titec Ti 118's if you can find 'em on closeout. They tend to go for under half of the $130. Wheelworld occasionally lists 'em in the magazines, can't speak beyond that. May want to check out E-Bay and some of the off brand named ones. Lots of bars in the 140g range. Had a Trek System 3 bar a few years back at the climed 145g weight taht was a new bike take off, and cost me all of $5. Performance, Sette, Trans-X all advertise similar ones that I DON'T have experience with.

I've run the Titec and the Race Face bars. Both are pretty good. Got the Titec's last year, or so, when they were getting rid of 'em for $10 a bar. 145, 141, 142g. Race face was 152g. Race Face cost a bit more than the $10 from Titec though.

I've put some of 'em aside recently as I'm hunting up the old Scott bar end and bar combos. Lighter and one piece. I have not had an issue with either one, and have kept 'em for spares if anything happens on the bikes.

I'm 200 pounds and ride XC mainly, so take that for what it's worth.

JmZ

Dirt Pilot said:

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Syntace

see a german handlebar test below. on the left you have some XC-bars, on the right rizers.
there is a lower line where they say is the minimum required for offroad use, and the green line above which says everything ok also for sever offroad use and heavyer riders. they tested 3 handlebars of the same model to get a good reading (see different colours). if there is a big difference between the same model it says something about quality control...
as you can see several handlebars failed and broke way before the end of the test

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the insight

Guys,

Thanks for all your insight. I went with the Titec Hellbent Flattracker. I know it's not the lightest (195g), but for a 200lb rider like myself, it looks like it will do the trick. This is one area where I'm willing to sacrifice a few grams for piece of mind, and I like the wider width. Also, great price at Cambria - $15!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.